How many british republicans do we have?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: How many british republicans do we have?

#121  Postby Delvo » Jan 25, 2011 2:01 pm

Panderos wrote:Therefore you favour only the best system, which means you agree with me that anachronisms doesn't come into it.
Have you ever heard of a "tiebreaker"?... something which doesn't matter when comparing two things that are significantly different in other ways, but does matter when all else is equal?
User avatar
Delvo
 
Posts: 971

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: How many british republicans do we have?

#122  Postby Panderos » Jan 25, 2011 2:15 pm

Delvo wrote:
Panderos wrote:Therefore you favour only the best system, which means you agree with me that anachronisms doesn't come into it.
Have you ever heard of a "tiebreaker"?... something which doesn't matter when comparing two things that are significantly different in other ways, but does matter when all else is equal?


Yeah thats fine, but that would mean you have a pretty weak belief in republicanism.

I mean what colour tie the leader will wear could be a tie breaker in two otherwise perfectly equal systems. I say: no orange.
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
User avatar
Panderos
 
Posts: 2971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: How many british republicans do we have?

#123  Postby Blip » Jan 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Panderos wrote:
Blip wrote:
I'm not sure how you arrived at the idea that I favour only the best system from my response that modernity is not the be-all-and-end-all, Panderos :) . My opposition to hereditary privilege derives from principle, not the fact that it is an anachronism. My reference to the 21st century was in the context of wider education, consensual rights and so on.
:rofl:


Ok, so would you prefer a worse system that is better in your opinion 'in principle'?


You've got your own value judgement in there with a pejorative reference to mine, surely, Panderos? :ask:
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
User avatar
Blip
Moderator
 
Posts: 20953
Female

Country: This septic isle...
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: How many british republicans do we have?

#124  Postby CarlPierce » Jan 25, 2011 4:54 pm

Ok a few arguments I hold against the monarchy.

Encourages people to knew their place. What kind of example is inherited privilege? Holds up a whole structure of secret discrimation upstairs, downstairs, them and us. Fractures society. Why is someone regarded as important by accident of birth.
Wastes hundreds of hours of BBC time on trivia.
Monarch generally supports promotes conservative positions that I disagree with - religion, traditional families, cruelty to animals, traditional medicine in jug ears case to name but a few.
Secret influence on politicans, Charles bombards mps with letters. Doubtless the queen secretly influences policy. Their presence encourages the idea its ok to keep public things secret.
Simple waste of resources. Hundreds of servants and body guards all paid for by me - making someone else's life more comfortable.
User avatar
CarlPierce
RS Donator
 
Posts: 4052
Age: 56
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest