How much freedom should the Church have?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How much freedom should the Church have?

#61  Postby byofrcs » Jul 15, 2012 10:56 am

You philistines.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#62  Postby MrFungus420 » Jul 15, 2012 11:06 am

Kenneth-Kaunda wrote:well, for point 1 they could go to a Liberal Church.

but point 2 does not stand up because a church may turn someone away if their beliefs do not fit in.

This comes down to religious freedom and private property laws.

Until churches pay their fair share of taxes, private property laws shouldn't come into play. Until they do that, I am paying for them, so it is partly MY property.

I wonder, though, would you be trying to defend slavery if it was being justified as part of religious freedom (the Bible advocates it)? And before protesting that example as non-realistic, that was one of the arguments against Abolition.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#63  Postby MrFungus420 » Jul 15, 2012 11:08 am

Kenneth-Kaunda wrote:This thread is about attempting to force the church to change its 2000 year old traditions in the name of 'equality'.

Kind of like its 2000 year old tradition of slavery?
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#64  Postby orpheus » Jul 15, 2012 1:27 pm

Kenneth-Kaunda wrote:
MrFungus420 wrote:
That is not a matter of the Church just foloowing its own traditions.  That is the Church trying to force EVERYONE ELSE to abide by them.

It's not the Church saying, "We're not going to do this", it is the Church saying, "NOBODY is allowed to do this."

The issue is that some people believe the Church should be forced to allow same-sex marriages on its premises.

This is clearly wrong as the idea goes against the beliefs of the religion.

So let's say your church wouldn't be forced to allow same-sex marriages on its premises. Given that, you'd be ok if gays could be married elsewhere (e.g. another church, a civil ceremony)? And have those marriages be recognized as real marriages and be identical in legal standing to those performed in your church?
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Animavore wrote:
Kenneth-Kaunda wrote:just basic grammar - The Church refers to the Christian religion as a whole.

Incorrect. When it comes to prods they generally only capitalise the word 'church' when it is in their title, ie. Lutheran Church. They do not collectively call themselves 'The Church' because that title is only given to one church which is the one and only true church, The Church, the Catholic Church.
How can you call a bunch of fragmented heretics believing in different and even contradictory things 'The Church'? It doesn't make sense.

Fragmented it is more than 34,000 different belief systems.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Kenneth-Kaunda » Jul 16, 2012 12:04 am

Animavore wrote:
You don't know your history very well. Christianity has changed many times and there are and have been many forms of Christianity many of them with opposing views. But of course, as I've stated above, only the Catholic Church is the true Church. I take it you're a prod so you probably believe in things that go against tradition like, say, divorce and priests marrying?

So how would you feel if the Catholic Church were forced to allow same-sex marriages?

Would you accept that?

Btw: first time I've been called a prod , ha ha! ;)
Last edited by Kenneth-Kaunda on Jul 16, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenneth-Kaunda
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#67  Postby Kenneth-Kaunda » Jul 16, 2012 12:05 am

double post - deleted
Kenneth-Kaunda
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#68  Postby Animavore » Jul 16, 2012 12:11 am

Kenneth-Kaunda wrote:
Animavore wrote:
You don't know your history very well. Christianity has changed many times and there are and have been many forms of Christianity many of them with opposing views. But of course, as I've stated above, only the Catholic Church is the true Church. I take it you're a prod so you probably believe in things that go against tradition like, say, divorce and priests marrying?

So how would you feel if the Catholic Church were forced to allow same-sex marriages?

Would you accept that?

Btw: first time I've been called a Prod , ha ha! ;)

I would be against it.
Gay marriage is on the cards here in Ireland. Given the support it has I'd say it'll pass referendum. The Church are against it but my view is it's none of their business, they don't have to accept it, they can condemn and blast and hold demonstrations. Only thing'll happen is it'll make them more unpopular than they already are. Pews will continue to empty. And gay people will get secular marriages without them.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Kenneth-Kaunda » Jul 16, 2012 12:12 am

MrFungus420 wrote:
Until churches pay their fair share of taxes, private property laws shouldn't come into play. Until they do that, I am paying for them, so it is partly MY property.

Utter bull!

so, do you think that you should be allowed to join the military even if you don't meet the entry requirements?

because, as you say, you do pay taxes 'n all.......
Kenneth-Kaunda
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#70  Postby byofrcs » Jul 16, 2012 12:24 am

Kenneth-Kaunda wrote:
MrFungus420 wrote:

Utter bull!

so, do you think that you should be allowed to join the military even if you don't meet the entry requirements?

because, as you say, you do pay taxes 'n all.......

No your analogy is wrong - joining the priesthood would be the equivalent of joining the military. Using a church equally would be same as having the army protecting you equally.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Nicko » Jul 16, 2012 2:06 am

Kenneth-Kaunda wrote:So how would you feel if the Catholic Church were forced to allow same-sex marriages?

Would you accept that?

I would suppose that it depends on what you mean by "forced to allow".

If you mean that the Church should be forced to give its sanction to marriages that run counter to its doctrines - to perform marriage ceremonies that church dogma regards as invalid - then no. I certainly think they should change their views on this matter, but I cannot think of a way of forcing them to do so that I would be comfortable with.

If you mean that the Church should be told to keep its mythology out of the public discourse and restrict the enforcement of its dogmas to members of the faith, then yes it should be. The Church should be "forced to allow" secular society to make laws based upon principles that grant equality to all of its members. If a representative or member of the Church has a rational, non-religious objection to same-sex marriage, then of course they are as free as any other member of society to voice that objection.

Given the number of discussions that I have participated in on this subject over the last couple of years with people - including yourself, Kenny - throwing every objection they can think of on the table however, I am fairly sure that if such a rational, non-religious objection existed then I would have heard it by now. I am therefore as confident as I can be that such a rational, non-religious objection does not exist.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Kenneth-Kaunda » Jul 16, 2012 8:26 am

Nicko wrote:
If you mean that the Church should be forced to give its sanction to marriages that run counter to its doctrines - to perform marriage ceremonies that church dogma regards as invalid - then no. I certainly think they should change their views on this matter, but I cannot think of a way of forcing them to do so that I would be comfortable with.

you say that you think the Church should change its views.

well, that is just absurd because if you were a budding Christian you would realise that your views would need to change to fit in with God's designs.

If you don't like the views of the Church , or the theology, then find another religion or remain an atheist.

Not the other way around.

anyway, this can be the Ken bashing thread for all those who wish - I'm done with the other one...... ;)

bring it on my friends, bring it on!
Kenneth-Kaunda
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#73  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 16, 2012 8:28 am

Animavore wrote:
Kenneth-Kaunda wrote:This thread is about attempting to force the church to change its 2000 year old traditions in the name of 'equality'.

doing this would be defeating the very notion of tolerance and religious freedom.

PC, liberal ideology is just as much a form of social engineering as any other political method of the past.

2000 year-old tradition! :rofl:

There's even a study that found that the Church™ codoned homosexual relationships in the past.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Kenneth-Kaunda » Jul 16, 2012 8:33 am

what study would that be then?
Kenneth-Kaunda
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#75  Postby Kenneth-Kaunda » Jul 16, 2012 8:35 am

and of course, I've never bashed homosexuality itself, only the marriage concept.

It's clearly not the same thing.
Kenneth-Kaunda
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#76  Postby virphen » Jul 16, 2012 8:37 am

Kenneth-Kaunda wrote:and of course, I've never bashed homosexuality itself, only the marriage concept.

So it wasn't you off there using the words "disordered" "unnatural" etc. etc.

That was some other Kenneth-Kaunda?
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#77  Postby chairman bill » Jul 16, 2012 8:38 am

Kenneth-Kaunda wrote:and of course, I've never bashed homosexuality itself, only the marriage concept.

Bollocks! You've implied comparison of homosexuality with incest & bestiality. You've mentioned 'disorder', 'perversion' & so on. Sounds like bashing to me.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 16, 2012 8:44 am

Just shows you he forgets what he says.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Kenneth-Kaunda » Jul 16, 2012 8:48 am

well, there are a fair few people on the other thread who think that incest is fine anyway.

so I take it you disagree with them on this issue?
Kenneth-Kaunda
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#80  Postby CookieJon » Jul 16, 2012 8:51 am

Kenneth-Kaunda wrote:well, there are a fair few people on the other thread who think that incest is fine anyway

I assumed you were fine with it too, since God's plan was for Adam and Eve's children to have incestuous sex.

Imagine my surprise when you described your God as "perverted" in that other thread!
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities