How would you improve the world ?

If you could dictate politics.

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

How would you improve the world ?

#1  Postby Silber5 » Mar 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Assume you were able to dictate the policies and politics of any country or even of the whole world and that you want to make the world a better place. Then what would you do ? I mean concrete ideas which are realizable or which you expect to be.

Just as examples:
"Fight world poverty." This isn't concrete, might as well put: "Make the world a better place."
"Have the US cut it's military by 25% and use the saved money to fight (and probably eliminate) world hunger and lack of clean drinking water." This is a very conrete idea.
"Ban all medical treatment that goes against a patient's expressed will." This is also a sufficiently concrete idea.

I haven't found any other such thread with the search function, so I'm making this one. Intented purpose is rather the presentation of ideas, than their discussion.

Whoops, I intented to post this in the general discussion. If it is agreed, that this is a better place for it, please move it.
Silber5

Name: Benjamin N.P.

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Re: How would you improve the world ?

#2  Postby redwhine » Mar 22, 2015 2:10 pm

Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#3  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 22, 2015 3:13 pm

A United Ireland
Professional Juries
Abolition Of Twitter
Abolition Of The Monarchy
Legalisation Of Euthanasia
Proportional Representation
Decriminalisation Of All Drugs
Abolition Of Reality Television
Abolition Of Nuclear Deterrent
Decriminalisation Of Prostitution
Annual Programme Of Social Housing
Legalisation Of Positive Discrimination
Maximum Fifty Per Cent Tax Threshold
Democratisation Of The House Of Lords
Critical Thinking On The School Curriculum
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4  Postby Pulvinar » Mar 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Silber5 wrote:Assume you were able to dictate the policies and politics of any country or even of the whole world and that you want to make the world a better place. Then what would you do ? I mean concrete ideas which are realizable or which you expect to be.

You're facing a fundamental problem here: if I or any other single person were able to dictate the policies of the world, it would be a dictatorship, and that in itself would definitely not be an improvement.
Pulvinar

Print view this post

#5  Postby hackenslash » Mar 22, 2015 4:14 pm

Pulvinar wrote:You're facing a fundamental problem here: if I or any other single person were able to dictate the policies of the world, it would be a dictatorship, and that in itself would definitely not be an improvement.

As with most categorical statements, this one's total bollocks.

My first move would be the eradication of dogmatism such as this.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Pulvinar » Mar 22, 2015 4:43 pm

hackenslash wrote:My first move would be the eradication of dogmatism such as this.

Quite a trick to pull off though. Assume you've studied the methods of greats: Stalin, etc.
Pulvinar

Print view this post

#7  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 22, 2015 4:47 pm

Pulvinar wrote:
Silber5 wrote:Assume you were able to dictate the policies and politics of any country or even of the whole world and that you want to make the world a better place. Then what would you do ? I mean concrete ideas which are realizable or which you expect to be.

You're facing a fundamental problem here: if I or any other single person were able to dictate the policies of the world, it would be a dictatorship, and that in itself would definitely not be an improvement.

Well yeah, if you or any other single person was able to dictate politics, it'd be a disaster. But if it was me, everything would run like clockwork.

It'd be pretty simple. Take the country that's best at something and put them in charge of it for the whole world. So the Japanese would run the trains, the Finns would run the education, the Koreans would run the internet, and the Brazilians would be in charge of female beach wear.
Last edited by I'm With Stupid on Mar 22, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#8  Postby hackenslash » Mar 22, 2015 4:48 pm

Pulvinar wrote:Quite a trick to pull off though. Assume you've studied the methods of greats: Stalin, etc.

My methods are other. Your response shows the depth of thought you applied though, or rather, the complete fucking lack of anythning resembling thought.

Never mind. Get a bit more involved in the forum and you can learn to think too.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 22, 2015 4:52 pm

hackenslash wrote:
Pulvinar wrote:Quite a trick to pull off though. Assume you've studied the methods of greats: Stalin, etc.

My methods are other. Your response shows the depth of thought you applied though, or rather, the complete fucking lack of anythning resembling thought.

Never mind. Get a bit more involved in the forum and you can learn to think too.

Not the sort of dictator to fly off the handle at the slightest provocation then? Good to know. I'd certainly trust you with the nuclear weapons.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby hackenslash » Mar 22, 2015 4:54 pm

Fly off the handle? Where's the evidence that I've done anything like that?
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Pulvinar » Mar 22, 2015 5:00 pm

hackenslash wrote:My methods are other. Your response shows the depth of thought you applied though, or rather, the complete fucking lack of anythning resembling thought.

Yep, you've got it! Crush dissidence under your hobnail boot!
Pulvinar

Print view this post

#12  Postby hackenslash » Mar 22, 2015 5:04 pm

No, I crush fuckwittery under the weight of argument and evidence. Feel free to continue with the rectal extractions, though. They're doing your image world of good. :roll:
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 22, 2015 5:16 pm

hackenslash wrote:Fly off the handle? Where's the evidence that I've done anything like that?

I'll let others read and judge.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Steve » Mar 22, 2015 5:23 pm

I would expand education to include what I will call personal growth. My thinking is that there is nothing wrong with the world, but there is a shit ton wrong with the human population and how they see themselves in the world. Like Hack I loathe dogma. I don't object to mistakes or flaws or weakness. These things are relative and moving targets. Dogma locks them in place and refuses to adapt to the inevitable changes. Science works by exploring and testing what we think we know, challenging it. I want to see the same happen for how people see themselves in the world - that each take a skeptical view of themselves and test themselves to see if they can't be just a little kinder. This doesn't mean being nice - getting in front of ignorance and trying to save the ignorant is not a nice process. But it is kind.

I don't really care what political process you use, or what policies, as much as I think people need to learn they never stop learning, that their specialness is only meaningful if they can help others including those who aren't humans.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby hackenslash » Mar 22, 2015 5:40 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
hackenslash wrote:Fly off the handle? Where's the evidence that I've done anything like that?

I'll let others read and judge.

Ah, so you inferred it from mere words. Yet another amateur internet psychiatrist. :roll:
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#16  Postby VazScep » Mar 22, 2015 5:47 pm

Compulsory serving of asparagus at breakfast. Free corsets for the under-5s. And the abolition of slavery.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Matthew Shute » Mar 22, 2015 6:01 pm

I don't need to answer this, here. Once my clones start to roll off the production line, you'll all learn soon enough. Bwahahaha...
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Thommo » Mar 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Make beach volleyball the national sport, compulsory statistics education for everyone under the age of 77 and ban the sale of fireworks to the general public.
Thommo

Print view this post

#19  Postby Ironclad » Mar 22, 2015 6:51 pm

I would make it International Law that politicians who wished their countries young man and women go to war, had to go to the front lines with them. Failure to do so would then 'force' all other nations of the world to shun them, financially and through trade.
Let's see who wants to go to war after that.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Following is part of it (sorry received in email, not sure where original is!)

But a lot more! A clear understanding of commonwealth, bureaucracy and debt - (Ostrom)( Graeber,) of gift - (Hyde) (Titmuss).

Compulsory reading of News from Nowhere!

A clear understanding of the sixth extinction and ecocide.

New reports from the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN)

Dear friends,

As governments convene in New York for next week’s third session of the Inter-Governmental Negotiation on the Post-2015 Agenda, I am pleased to share with you three recent outputs from the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
Key Elements of a Successful Addis Ababa Accord on Financing for Sustainable Development was prepared by the Leadership Council of the SDSN and includes practical suggestions for the Financing for Development (FfD) discussions, including how to align financing with sustainable development, how to establish robust global partnerships and to mobilize new development finance for the SDGs.

Key Elements for Success on Climate Change Mitigation at COP21 in Paris was also prepared by the Leadership Council of the SDSN. This brief working paper outlines how to operationalize the internationally agreed target to limit the rise in global temperatures to no more than 2°C above pre-industrial levels.

Indicators and a Monitoring Framework for the SDGs, is the result of over 16 months of intensive consultation with leading academics, civil society, the private sector and country statisticians, to identify a limited but integrated set of robust indicators, to comprehensively track the 17 SDGs and 169 targets. The report was provided as input to the Expert Group Meeting on SDG Indicators, held just before the UN Statistical Commission, and we are pleased to see many of the key principles reflected in the Technical Report of the Bureau of the Statistical Commission. The findings from the public consultation on an earlier draft are available on our website.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities