Human Over Population. How to Stem and Reduce.

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Human Over Population. How to Stem and Reduce.

#1  Postby Alan B » Apr 11, 2018 2:57 pm

I am thinking of any methods that do not involve premature death of the born or unborn. Wars are out since there is always an increase in the birth rate at the war's end.
The China 'One Child' option is out since that didn't work very well.

Education is one of the main keys, perhaps. But maybe a method to reduce fertility world-wide ('putting something in the water') or maybe that's just a SciFi fantasy.

If the birth-rate could be restricted to two (or maybe three in exceptional cases with the death of a child)?

But whatever method is chosen it would mean overriding peoples assumed 'rights' to produce as many children as they like or can afford. I feel that being able to produce a child is a privilege not a 'right' and that many people (and religions) are abusing this privilege.

And the alternative of doing nothing is...?

Any other ideas?
Last edited by Alan B on Apr 11, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Human Over Population. How to Stem and Reduce.

#2  Postby laklak » Apr 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Interstellar migration.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby scott1328 » Apr 11, 2018 3:03 pm

I think the solution is to ensure that the number of births not exceed the number of deaths in any given year. :teef:
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan B » Apr 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Yeah. But how?
Last edited by Alan B on Apr 11, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » Apr 11, 2018 3:05 pm

laklak wrote:Interstellar migration.

Nice idea but that will only transport our uncontrollable fertility elsewhere while leaving the rest to fill the gap at home...
Last edited by Alan B on Apr 11, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Apr 11, 2018 3:09 pm

I should have said "INTRA stellar migration". Shoot the fuckers into the sun.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby scott1328 » Apr 11, 2018 3:11 pm

laklak wrote:I should have said "INTRA stellar migration". Shoot the fuckers into the sun.

You first... the others will follow you :shifty:
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Alan B » Apr 11, 2018 3:13 pm

laklak wrote:I should have said "INTRA stellar migration". Shoot the fuckers into the sun.

I think that involves killing people... :whistle:

Although I think there are some whom I would like to get rid of - such as the religious leaders who want everybody to belong to their religion and 'we'll overpopulate our religion to make certain'.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Sendraks » Apr 11, 2018 3:14 pm

Alan B wrote:
Nice idea but that will only transport our uncontrollable fertility elsewhere while leaving the rest to fill the gap at home...

Is it uncontrollable?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/livebirths/bulletins/birthsummarytablesenglandandwales/2016

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4255510/

Seems to me that if we encourage and support other countries to develop, not just economically but also socially, that slowing the growth of the global population is something which could be achieved. Obviously slowing means that the problem of a growing population vs a planet of finite size remains but, it becomes more manageable.

Stellar migration could be a possibility to helping manage that. Even if it is only limited to within the solar system and relocating industry off-world.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Alan B » Apr 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Sendraks wrote:Seems to me that if we encourage and support other countries to develop, not just economically but also socially, that slowing the growth of the global population is something which could be achieved. Obviously slowing means that the problem of a growing population vs a planet of finite size remains but, it becomes more manageable.

I feel that could be part of the answer. In fact that may be the only chance we have.

I have always felt that the 'uncontrolled' migration from 'undeveloped' countries to 'developed' countries is part of the problem. The solution would be for the 'undeveloped' countries to be assisted to raise their standards of living so that economic migration 'for a better life' is reduced or becomes unnecessary.
Preventing migration - building a wall, etc. - will not cure or alleviate the problem.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Alan B » Apr 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Sendraks wrote:Stellar migration could be a possibility to helping manage that. Even if it is only limited to within the solar system and relocating industry off-world.

Moving the problem 'off-world' is an 'out of sight, out of mind' approach. It will not 'cure' the problem at home.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Apr 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Alan B wrote:

I think that involves killing people... :whistle:

Although I think there are some whom I would like to get rid of - such as the religious leaders who want everybody to belong to their religion and 'we'll overpopulate our religion to make certain'.

Well, true, so maybe we shoot them around the sun really really fast and they go back in time. That's how they got the whales in Star Trek.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Alan B » Apr 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Yeah. Right! :shock: :lol:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Sendraks » Apr 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Alan B wrote:
I have always felt that the 'uncontrolled' migration from 'undeveloped' countries to 'developed' countries is part of the problem. The solution would be for the 'undeveloped' countries to be assisted to raise their standards of living so that economic migration 'for a better life' is reduced or becomes unnecessary.

I agree. There are numerous barriers to achieving this, most of which are neatly ring-fenced in the views of the supporters of the Trump administration or similar right-wing administrations around the world. There's regular complaints in the UK about sending money overseas to support other nations but, the explanation as to why we do this appears to be too complex for the tiny minds to grasp and simply becomes "dey turk our cash."
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby felltoearth » Apr 11, 2018 3:59 pm

Are we over populated or do we over consume resources?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Alan B » Apr 11, 2018 4:12 pm

felltoearth wrote:Are we over populated or do we over consume resources?

Both. One leads to the other driven by greed.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby The_Piper » Apr 11, 2018 5:39 pm

I vote for more and better edumacation.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Alan B » Apr 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Yeah. I fink yer rite.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 11, 2018 6:17 pm

Education and stellar migration are too expensive. War and disease are cheaper, and we're already very good at those.

/cynical dark thought of the day
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Luv
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Alan B » Apr 11, 2018 7:03 pm

So one would think. War and disease usually results in an increase in the birthrate after the war is ended and the disease has run its course.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities