Intelligence and sarcasm

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Intelligence and sarcasm

#41  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 03, 2013 9:43 am

Loren Michael wrote:How does video-on-demand work in Europe? Like, do people still rely on television stations to provide the bulk of TV, or have people started cutting cords and downloading everything?

Most cable companies have video-on-demand and catch up channels. I think it is a generation thing. The younger generations probably are using these services but I still think for the majority they still rely on the television stations. Of course these having tv's and tuners fitted with hard discs plenty of recording is done. I do it all the time as plenty of programmes clash.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 03, 2013 9:46 am

mindhack wrote:
Loren Michael wrote:How does video-on-demand work in Europe? Like, do people still rely on television stations to provide the bulk of TV, or have people started cutting cords and downloading everything?

A lot is downloaded these days. I'm not too familiar with video-on-demand.

The major cable companies have it but it is an extra service you pay for and it can depending on the video be expensive.
Also the cable company determines the selection you can choose from.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#43  Postby babel » Jun 03, 2013 9:50 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
mindhack wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
mindhack wrote:
In my perception Southpark is considered funny by many.

Yes, my social circle is very minority :waah:

Southpark was a very niche programme on a very minor commercial station. I never watch commercial stations to heavy on the ads.

Cartoon network isn't minor really. It tends to draw a specific crowd ;)

Small enough though and aimed at a very specific group of viewers.

Yes, young viewers. Probably not the people you'd hang out with quite often. Hence the difference in perception between you and Mindhack.
Doesn't mean it's not 'big' in that specific age bracket.
In Belgium it's been quite popular, but only with the younger crowds. As soon as you ask 40 year olds or older, the chance of getting a 'south park, what's that?'-response is very likely.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#44  Postby murshid » Jun 03, 2013 1:46 pm

hackenslash wrote:
virphen wrote:US sitcoms have humour?

The evidence suggests not (although I have a secret penchant for The Big Bang Theory, but I suspect that's just because of the nerd gags).

Many American sitcoms are not funny. For example, I've never found "Friends" funny. But I enjoy "30 Rock", "Modern Family" and the early seasons of "How I met your Mother".
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" – Douglas Adams
murshid

Name: Murshid
Male

Print view this post

#45  Postby Loren Michael » Jun 03, 2013 1:57 pm

murshid wrote:
hackenslash wrote:
virphen wrote:US sitcoms have humour?

The evidence suggests not (although I have a secret penchant for The Big Bang Theory, but I suspect that's just because of the nerd gags).

Many American sitcoms are not funny. For example, I've never found "Friends" funny. But I enjoy "30 Rock", "Modern Family" and the early seasons of "How I met your Mother".

I think most television, comedy and otherwise, is pretty shitty. America, the UK, and Japan produce so much that they're able to make some decent stuff to go along with the large amounts of crap that they also produce.

As far as I can tell the rest of the world mostly deals in either local stuff which is shitty, or it imports heavily from those three places. There is an occasional worthwhile show that isn't from those three places, but it's a rare exception.
Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#46  Postby laklak » Jun 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Few of the kids I know - well, 20 and early 30 somethings - have cable or satellite TV. They stream video from the net, either thru services like Hulu, Netflix or bit torrent sites. I'm using a lot more Netflix these days and less cable content, though I do record a lot of current series. Pay per view is great, more expensive than going to the video store but a lot cheaper than going to the movies.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#47  Postby virphen » Jun 03, 2013 11:33 pm

chairman bill wrote:I do wonder at the US tendency to want to make US-specific versions of British comedies. Did The Office, or Being Human really need to be Americanised? How come we get Frasier, or The Simpsons, but the US needs our stuff re-done for a US audience? I really don't get that.

I did read that there was going to be a UK version of Everybody Loves Raymond, a programme I understand to have been described as a US Sitcom (and thus containing humour) but not one I have seen myself.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Imagination Theory » Jun 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Loren Michael wrote:I'm kind of curious as to South Park's international appeal and perception. Is it popular around the world? What kind of show is it regarded as?

It is popular and very controversial from where I'm from.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Imagination Theory » Jun 03, 2013 11:48 pm

Download.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Imagination Theory » Jun 03, 2013 11:57 pm

Hey, why was the OP banned? I looked at his posts and they didn't seem like spam? :scratch:
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#51  Postby laklak » Jun 04, 2013 1:44 am

Posting stuff verbatim from other websites without attribution, I think.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Imagination Theory » Jun 06, 2013 2:26 am

Ah.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,