Is terrorism the new Heresy

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Is terrorism the new Heresy

#1  Postby ymitchell » Apr 02, 2010 6:07 pm

I was wondering if any intelligent people here could address this one. Given the crackdown on Islamic fundamentalists and anti-Globalization protesters, are we seeing an attempt by the established powers to impose a new orthodoxy on the culture. As in painting all anti-establishment non-conformism as being a variant of 'terrorism'. One effect being to enthusiasm people not to join activist type groups. Another means of maintaining order is to establish Sousveillance systems, as in the targeted group monitors itself.
It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing and there's this electricity in the air, you can almost hear it.
ymitchell
Banned User

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Is terrorism the new Heresy

#2  Postby alienpresence » Apr 02, 2010 6:16 pm

I don't think terrorism is new. Anarchists were blowing stuff and people up long ago. The word might be over-used but that is the failure of the modern imagination. :coffee:
To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. - Maximillien Robiespierre

alienpresence

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby crank » Apr 02, 2010 6:49 pm

I wouldn't fall under 'intelligent people', but as a sarcastic SOB I would say authorities have always tried to impose orthodoxies. That is our main job in life: to undermine any we can identify.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#4  Postby alienpresence » Apr 02, 2010 6:51 pm

crank wrote:I wouldn't fall under 'intelligent people', but as a sarcastic SOB I would say authorities have always tried to impose orthodoxies. That is our main job in life: to undermine any we can identify.

Don't underestimate yourself - look at the people running the joint these days! :coffee:
To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. - Maximillien Robiespierre

alienpresence

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Sylvie » Apr 08, 2010 8:25 am

Umm, history degree here, hi how are you.

Heretics never blew up buildings, nor beheaded anyone of the predominant ('rival')faith. They mainly minded their own business and were fodder for the later crusaders. Comparing 'heretics' from the medieval period and modern day terrorists, is like comparing a retarded duck and a pitbull.
"Oh I see your tactic, 'God is energy, energy exists, therefore I win!' We've had this all before, its about as intellectually sophisticated as a shitting your pants." - HughMcB
Sylvie

Female

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Hugin » May 19, 2010 9:24 pm

ymitchell wrote:Given the crackdown on Islamic fundamentalists and anti-Globalization protesters, are we seeing an attempt by the established powers to impose a new orthodoxy on the culture.

Don't you think it has to do with these people using violence?
"If there were an Economist's Creed, it would surely contain the affirmations 'I understand the Principle of Comparative Advantage' and 'I advocate Free Trade'." - Paul Krugman
Hugin
Banned User

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities