Man given wife as gift

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Man given wife as gift

#1  Postby juju7 » Jun 14, 2014 11:40 am

http://allafrica.com/stories/201406131451.html

Traditional Venda chiefs have given SABC acting chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng a wife, a cow, and a calf.

The Sowetan reported on Friday that women were lined up in Thohoyandou, Limpopo, on Wednesday for Motsoeneng to choose one. He and other SABC executives were in the area for a meeting with Mudzi wa Vhurereli ha Vhavenda, a lobby group of traditional leaders and healers.

“The girls were around 10 and they paraded for him to choose. He chose the one he liked,” Mudzi executive secretary Humbelani Nemakonde was quoted as saying.

“All the girls were there with their parents. Their parents knew what was going to happen and they all agreed.”

The woman Motsoeneng chose was pictured in the newspaper bare-breasted next to him. She is a 23-year-old human resources management student.

He received the gifts because he was “committed to his job and understands the strategic objectives of the SABC”.

In February, Public Protector Thuli Madonsela released a report which found Motsoeneng’s appointment irregular. His salary increased from R1.5 million to R2.4m in one year. She found he misrepresented his qualifications, that he passed matric, to the SABC.

- Sapa
User avatar
juju7
Banned Sockpuppet
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 905

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Man given wife as gift

#2  Postby james1v » Jun 14, 2014 12:12 pm

What year is it?
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
User avatar
james1v
 
Name: James.
Posts: 8948
Age: 62
Male

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Man given wife as gift

#3  Postby ughaibu » Jun 14, 2014 12:28 pm

"The girls were around 10 [ ] She is a 23-year-old". So, presumably they actually mean the number of women was around ten.
ughaibu
 
Posts: 4391

Print view this post

Re: Man given wife as gift

#4  Postby kiore » Jun 14, 2014 1:22 pm

ughaibu wrote:"The girls were around 10 [ ] She is a 23-year-old". So, presumably they actually mean the number of women was around ten.


I initially read it as aged 10 until seeing the 2nd part, the error believable in the context.
Folding@Home Team member.
Image
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
User avatar
kiore
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 16366

Country: In transit.
Print view this post

Re: Man given wife as gift

#5  Postby Nicko » Jun 14, 2014 2:29 pm

juju7 wrote:http://allafrica.com/stories/201406131451.html

Traditional Venda chiefs have given SABC acting chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng a wife, a cow, and a calf.

The Sowetan reported on Friday that women were lined up in Thohoyandou, Limpopo, on Wednesday for Motsoeneng to choose one. He and other SABC executives were in the area for a meeting with Mudzi wa Vhurereli ha Vhavenda, a lobby group of traditional leaders and healers.

“The girls were around 10 and they paraded for him to choose. He chose the one he liked,” Mudzi executive secretary Humbelani Nemakonde was quoted as saying.

“All the girls were there with their parents. Their parents knew what was going to happen and they all agreed.”

The woman Motsoeneng chose was pictured in the newspaper bare-breasted next to him. She is a 23-year-old human resources management student.

He received the gifts because he was “committed to his job and understands the strategic objectives of the SABC”.

In February, Public Protector Thuli Madonsela released a report which found Motsoeneng’s appointment irregular. His salary increased from R1.5 million to R2.4m in one year. She found he misrepresented his qualifications, that he passed matric, to the SABC.

- Sapa


Perhaps if he had continued his education a little further, he would have had the opportunity to attend the class where they explain that it is inappropriate for someone in his position to accept cattle from a lobby group, never mind a human being. It sounds like she's a bit more educated; she can tell him.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
User avatar
Nicko
 
Name: Nick Williams
Posts: 8641
Age: 44
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Man given wife as gift

#6  Postby ED209 » Jun 14, 2014 3:26 pm

...
The woman Motsoeneng chose was pictured in the newspaper bare-breasted next to him. She is a 23-year-old human resources management student...


Our HR department would probably have something to say about that :think:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
User avatar
ED209
 
Posts: 10417

Print view this post

Re: Man given wife as gift

#7  Postby juju7 » Jun 18, 2014 1:01 pm

Nicko wrote:
Perhaps if he had continued his education a little further, he would have had the opportunity to attend the class where they explain that it is inappropriate for someone in his position to accept cattle from a lobby group, never mind a human being. It sounds like she's a bit more educated; she can tell him.


Ah, but in South Africa you might be accused of being culturally insensitive, even racist.
User avatar
juju7
Banned Sockpuppet
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 905

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


South Africa investigates 'wife gift' for SABC head

#8  Postby HomerJay » Jun 19, 2014 7:42 pm

An investigation has been launched in South Africa into allegations that the head of SABC, the public broadcaster, was given a wife as a gift.

The Commission for Gender Equality said it had received a complaint after it was reported that Hlaudi Motsoeneng was given a bride by traditional chiefs.

They were part of a cultural group asking for more programmes to be broadcast in the Venda language.

The government said their behaviour was "regrettable".

Mr Motsoeneng has not commented.

About 10 girls had paraded in front of him, Humbelani Nemakonde from the Mudzi group was quoted as saying in South Africa's Sowetan newspaper.

"He chose the one he liked.

"All the girls were there with their parents. Their parents knew what was going to happen and they all agreed."

According to the Sowetan, Mr Motsoeneng chose a 23-year-old human resources management student who was pictured bare-breasted next to him.

He is also alleged to have been given a cow and a calf.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27924135

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/incoming/2 ... ift-report


!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Thread merged with earlier report on this. kiore.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
User avatar
HomerJay
 
Posts: 5868
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post


Return to Social Sciences & Humanities

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest