Map of European Christmas traditions

Father Christmas, Christmas goat, or defecating log?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Map of European Christmas traditions

#1  Postby Saim » Dec 22, 2015 6:55 pm

https://jakubmarian.com/christmas-gift- ... of-europe/

Santa Claus is relentlessly trying to enter our European households (mostly via our mailboxes rather than chimneys), but Father Christmas, Baby Jesus, Grandfather Frost, and other traditional gift-bringers have managed to fend him off so far.

Each country (or region) has its own traditional Christmas gift-bringer. Some of them are quite nice, such as the British Father Christmas, others are outright weird, such as the Catalan “defecating log”, but all of them are equally interesting. The following map shows the gift-bringers’ names with translations, coloured by relatedness of the concepts themselves (i.e. not by etymological relatedness of the names).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/chris ... stmas.html

A popular Christmas prank was to place this Yule goat in a neighbour's house without them noticing; the family successfully pranked had to get rid of it in the same way.

Another interesting one is the Catalan Tió de Nadal, or Christmas Log.
A smiley face is drawn on the end of a log, which has to be fed and covered from the cold at the start of the Christmas celebrations.
The log is then ordered by the family to defecate, then they pray to it so it will bless the house with gifts.
They also sing a special song to the log, which goes like this:
"S[hit], log,
log of Christmas,
don't s[hit] herrings,
they are too salty,
s[hit] nougats (turrón)
they are much better!"

(Censorship removal mine)
Saim

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Map of European Christmas traditions

#2  Postby Ironclad » Dec 22, 2015 7:37 pm

'Christmas Goat'... WTF
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#3  Postby monkeyboy » Dec 22, 2015 7:51 pm

I just Google imaged Catalan Tió de Nada. I'm weirded out.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Dec 22, 2015 8:03 pm

Everyone loves the shitting Christmas log. Shit, log! Shit!

what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Saim » Dec 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Ironclad wrote:'Christmas Goat'... WTF

That's weirder than the tió to you? :P
Saim

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 22, 2015 8:46 pm

Incorrect map.
Dutch 'Kerstman' = Santa. And it isn't a Christmas tradition that's the equivalent of father Christmas, but rather a US import, who in turn partially stole the concept from the Dutch 'Sinterklaas' or Santa Clause, which is celebrated on the 5th of December.
Some people celebrate both 'Sinterklaas' and Santa, some one or the other.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby monkeyboy » Dec 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Even worse, reading a bit more about this Tió de Nada malarkey..They don't just order the log to defecate presents out, they hit it with sticks! They literally expect that by thwacking it, presents will poop out of its rear end.
I wonder if Gunny Hartman has any Spanish in him.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 22, 2015 9:33 pm

In fact you can see that in the Ukraine it's called Saint Nicholas, which is the same character as the Dutch 'Sinterklaas' and the inspiration of Santa Clause.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Evolving » Dec 22, 2015 10:47 pm

I've always understood (though I'm no historian and haven't researched the point) that Babbo Natale in Italy is simply the Italian translation of the American Father Christmas. My own observation is that nobody cares about him and everyone waits for the witch Befana to bring presents or coal.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Evolving » Dec 22, 2015 11:12 pm

Which is on the 6th January; hence the name (Epiphania).
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Saim » Dec 23, 2015 11:31 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Incorrect map.

Yeah, I've learnt some Dutch and I was wondering who this "Kerstman" dude was and why it didn't say Sinterklaas for the Netherlands and Flanders.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:In fact you can see that in the Ukraine it's called Saint Nicholas, which is the same character as the Dutch 'Sinterklaas' and the inspiration of Santa Clause.

Interestingly though they also seem to have Did Moroz, who at least in Serbia (and I imagine in other Orthodox Slavic countries that have the tradition) isn't the same guy as Sveti Nikola. Sveti Nikola's day is celebrated on the 19th of december, whereas Deda Mraz comes around on New Year's.
Saim

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 23, 2015 12:44 pm

Saim wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Incorrect map.

Yeah, I've learnt some Dutch and I was wondering who this "Kerstman" dude was and why it didn't say Sinterklaas for the Netherlands and Flanders.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:In fact you can see that in the Ukraine it's called Saint Nicholas, which is the same character as the Dutch 'Sinterklaas' and the inspiration of Santa Clause.

Interestingly though they also seem to have Did Moroz, who at least in Serbia (and I imagine in other Orthodox Slavic countries that have the tradition) isn't the same guy as Sveti Nikola. Sveti Nikola's day is celebrated on the 19th of december, whereas Deda Mraz comes around on New Year's.

Sinterklaas is the 5th of December. The Kerstman was as Thomas said a US import back in the 60's. The Dutch never used to celebrate xmas with presents. It was just a family feast of eating and drinking along with church going.
My own family was one of the few that did both as we had both British and Dutch grandparents.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby thirsting » Jan 06, 2016 4:56 pm

Ironclad wrote:'Christmas Goat'... WTF

Joulupukki does indeed translate to Christmas Goat.... IF you use incompetent translator. Despite the name, Finnish Joulupukki is just a regular Father Christmas / Santa Claus clone, and has nothing to do with goat the animal. I'm fairly sure the same goes at least for the "gnomes" in Norway and Sweden.

I get the map in original link is for linguists or something, but it's still annoying..
Well that was awkward.
thirsting

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#14  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Everyone loves the shitting Christmas log. Shit, log! Shit!

Especially the kids.

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities