Microaggressions

Or, Has the World Gone Stark Raving Mad?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Microaggressions

#541  Postby proudfootz » Aug 04, 2015 11:14 pm

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
Pitting Black against White is not going to do anyone any good.


It sure does help get out the vote though ...


Plus, if we ignore the genocide long enough, we'll have a final solution to the problem. :thumbup:
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
proudfootz
 
Posts: 11006

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#542  Postby Oldskeptic » Aug 06, 2015 8:50 pm

proudfootz wrote:
Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
Pitting Black against White is not going to do anyone any good.


It sure does help get out the vote though ...


Plus, if we ignore the genocide long enough, we'll have a final solution to the problem. :thumbup:


What genocide would that be?
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Oldskeptic
 
Posts: 7395
Age: 64
Male

Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#543  Postby Oldskeptic » Aug 10, 2015 2:29 am

Oldskeptic wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
Pitting Black against White is not going to do anyone any good.


It sure does help get out the vote though ...


Plus, if we ignore the genocide long enough, we'll have a final solution to the problem. :thumbup:


What genocide would that be?


Well, it's not like Proudfootz hasn't been around to answer the question; "What Genocide would that be?" So I'm bumping it just in case Proudfootz thinks that it will go away by attrition.

Proudfootz invokes genocide and a "final solution" to his side of some undefined threat and argument. I'd like to know what the fuck he's talking about.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Oldskeptic
 
Posts: 7395
Age: 64
Male

Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#544  Postby proudfootz » Aug 10, 2015 2:06 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Jerome Da Gnome wrote:

It sure does help get out the vote though ...


Plus, if we ignore the genocide long enough, we'll have a final solution to the problem. :thumbup:


What genocide would that be?


Well, it's not like Proudfootz hasn't been around to answer the question; "What Genocide would that be?" So I'm bumping it just in case Proudfootz thinks that it will go away by attrition.

Proudfootz invokes genocide and a "final solution" to his side of some undefined threat and argument. I'd like to know what the fuck he's talking about.


In case you haven't been keeping up, black Americans are being discriminated against, harassed, assaulted, and killed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/racism-aliv ... n-housing/

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=3401076

http://www.businessinsider.com/huge-bla ... -us-2014-8

http://qz.com/357445/black-harvard-grad ... ege-grads/

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... e-analysis

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-quig ... 58947.html

I happen to think people dying an early death because of their ethnicity is tantamount to genocide.

So the idea that talking about this fact of life is what is 'pitting Black against White' is ludicrous.

So, yeah - let's just ignore this problem and it will go away. Meanwhile my ignoring your trolling is important. For reasons.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
proudfootz
 
Posts: 11006

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#545  Postby Oldskeptic » Aug 13, 2015 4:41 am

proudfootz wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
proudfootz wrote:

Plus, if we ignore the genocide long enough, we'll have a final solution to the problem. :thumbup:


What genocide would that be?


Well, it's not like Proudfootz hasn't been around to answer the question; "What Genocide would that be?" So I'm bumping it just in case Proudfootz thinks that it will go away by attrition.

Proudfootz invokes genocide and a "final solution" to his side of some undefined threat and argument. I'd like to know what the fuck he's talking about.


In case you haven't been keeping up, black Americans are being discriminated against, harassed, assaulted, and killed.


Any evidence that poor inclusive "white" people aren't experiencing the same treatment or "mistreatment?" Of course not because it isn't really a color problem it's a social class problem.



Of course you do, I mean you have six copy and paste internet articles to prove how right you are, what more could anyone ask from you?

So the idea that talking about this fact of life is what is 'pitting Black against White' is ludicrous.


Except that it isn't. The conflicts of racial relations today aren't driven by "whites." They are driven by black activists ready to pick the corpse of anyone that falls. And it's in their interest to keep "The Black Problem" alive.

So, yeah - let's just ignore this problem and it will go away. Meanwhile my ignoring your trolling is important. For reasons.


What problem would that be, and where did I troll this thread or forum cite? It's understandable if you have no response of any significance. If so you should say so, but declaring me a troll doesn't cut it.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Oldskeptic
 
Posts: 7395
Age: 64
Male

Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#546  Postby proudfootz » Aug 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:

What genocide would that be?


Well, it's not like Proudfootz hasn't been around to answer the question; "What Genocide would that be?" So I'm bumping it just in case Proudfootz thinks that it will go away by attrition.

Proudfootz invokes genocide and a "final solution" to his side of some undefined threat and argument. I'd like to know what the fuck he's talking about.


In case you haven't been keeping up, black Americans are being discriminated against, harassed, assaulted, and killed.


Any evidence that poor inclusive "white" people aren't experiencing the same treatment or "mistreatment?" Of course not because it isn't really a color problem it's a social class problem.



Of course you do, I mean you have six copy and paste internet articles to prove how right you are, what more could anyone ask from you?


Yes, people who have studied the problem have discovered race is the problem. Random internet guy Oldskeptic says it isn't.

Whom to believe...? :scratch:

So the idea that talking about this fact of life is what is 'pitting Black against White' is ludicrous.


Except that it isn't. The conflicts of racial relations today aren't driven by "whites." They are driven by black activists ready to pick the corpse of anyone that falls. And it's in their interest to keep "The Black Problem" alive.


Complete and utter bullshit, as the articles from many respected sources indicate.

So, yeah - let's just ignore this problem and it will go away. Meanwhile my ignoring your trolling is important. For reasons.


What problem would that be, and where did I troll this thread or forum cite?


Duh. Racism in the United States - You keep asking the same idiotic question as if it hasn't been answered already and implicit in the discussion that was ongoing before you started to play dumb.

It's understandable if you have no response of any significance.


Yeah, right. Your ignoring responsible journalism, academic studies, and scientific inquiry isn't 'significant' enough for you.

I'm not interested in trying to hold a conversation with one of Limbaugh's dittoheads, which is why I didn't respond to your trolling earlier.

If so you should say so, but declaring me a troll doesn't cut it.


It's your posts which appear to be troll like - ignoring answers to your questions and pretending your uninformed opinion is more important than responsible journalism, academic studies, and scientific investigation.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
proudfootz
 
Posts: 11006

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#547  Postby Oldskeptic » Aug 14, 2015 9:24 pm

proudfootz wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:

Well, it's not like Proudfootz hasn't been around to answer the question; "What Genocide would that be?" So I'm bumping it just in case Proudfootz thinks that it will go away by attrition.

Proudfootz invokes genocide and a "final solution" to his side of some undefined threat and argument. I'd like to know what the fuck he's talking about.


In case you haven't been keeping up, black Americans are being discriminated against, harassed, assaulted, and killed.


Any evidence that poor inclusive "white" people aren't experiencing the same treatment or "mistreatment?" Of course not because it isn't really a color problem it's a social class problem.



Of course you do, I mean you have six copy and paste internet articles to prove how right you are, what more could anyone ask from you?


Yes, people who have studied the problem have discovered race is the problem. Random internet guy Oldskeptic says it isn't.


Which of those six articles do you think demonstrates genocide? Which one has uncovered deliberate, systematic, or institutionalized killing of a large portion of a population? Which article shows or has uncovered a final solution? A systematic or institutional plan to wipe out a whole population?

That's what I was responding to. Your accusation that genocide is going on aimed at a final solution. You can redefine "genocide" if you like, to mean whatever fits your argument, but how do you do that with "a final solution to the problem"? And combining "genocide" in the same sentence with "a final solution to the problem" leaves very little room for a redefinition of either term.

How are small examples of disparities in housing, medical care, job placement, arrests, and police shootings genocide aimed at a final solution? They're not. They're examples of discrimination that needs to end. They are examples of lingering racism and discrimination, not genocide or a goal towards a final solution or even wide spread entrenched racism.

Proudfotz wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
So the idea that talking about this fact of life is what is 'pitting Black against White' is ludicrous.


Except that it isn't. The conflicts of racial relations today aren't driven by "whites." They are driven by black activists ready to pick the corpse of anyone that falls. And it's in their interest to keep "The Black Problem" alive.


Complete and utter bullshit, as the articles from many respected sources indicate.


No it's not. Not when black activists descend on the corpse of any black killed like blowflies and preach hate while hypocritically calling for calm.

Proudfootz wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
So, yeah - let's just ignore this problem and it will go away. Meanwhile my ignoring your trolling is important. For reasons.


What problem would that be, and where did I troll this thread or forum cite?


Duh. Racism in the United States - You keep asking the same idiotic question as if it hasn't been answered already and implicit in the discussion that was ongoing before you started to play dumb.


So now we're talking about racism and not genocide and a final solution? When did I say that racism didn't exist anywhere? If I dispute that there is genocide going on with a goal towards a final solution that means that I am denying that there is racism?

Proudfootz wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote: It's understandable if you have no response of any significance.


Yeah, right. Your ignoring responsible journalism, academic studies, and scientific inquiry isn't 'significant' enough for you.

I'm not interested in trying to hold a conversation with one of Limbaugh's dittoheads, which is why I didn't respond to your trolling earlier.


What makes me a dittohead? Is everyone that disagrees with your over the top assertions and thoughtless statements a dittohead?

Proudfootz wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote: If so you should say so, but declaring me a troll doesn't cut it.


It's your posts which appear to be troll like - ignoring answers to your questions and pretending your uninformed opinion is more important than responsible journalism, academic studies, and scientific investigation.


Where did I say that responsible journalism, academic studies, and scientific investigation aren't important? If you say that there is discrimination in housing based on one of your articles and something should be done about it, I'm right there with you, but not on board that this is evidence for genocide with a goal towards a final solution.

If you say that medical care might be unequal and cite articles and studies, I say that should be looked into and if that's true then a solution should be looked for.

If you say that a larger percentage of minorities are shot by police and you have articles and studies that support this then I say we should do something about that.

Taking a position against your unfounded and unsupportable hyperbole is not trolling and does make me a racist dittohead.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Oldskeptic
 
Posts: 7395
Age: 64
Male

Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#548  Postby proudfootz » Aug 16, 2015 1:52 am

Oldskeptic wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
proudfootz wrote:

In case you haven't been keeping up, black Americans are being discriminated against, harassed, assaulted, and killed.


Any evidence that poor inclusive "white" people aren't experiencing the same treatment or "mistreatment?" Of course not because it isn't really a color problem it's a social class problem.



Of course you do, I mean you have six copy and paste internet articles to prove how right you are, what more could anyone ask from you?


Yes, people who have studied the problem have discovered race is the problem. Random internet guy Oldskeptic says it isn't.


Which of those six articles do you think demonstrates genocide? Which one has uncovered deliberate, systematic, or institutionalized killing of a large portion of a population? Which article shows or has uncovered a final solution? A systematic or institutional plan to wipe out a whole population?

That's what I was responding to. Your accusation that genocide is going on aimed at a final solution. You can redefine "genocide" if you like, to mean whatever fits your argument, but how do you do that with "a final solution to the problem"? And combining "genocide" in the same sentence with "a final solution to the problem" leaves very little room for a redefinition of either term.

How are small examples of disparities in housing, medical care, job placement, arrests, and police shootings genocide aimed at a final solution? They're not. They're examples of discrimination that needs to end. They are examples of lingering racism and discrimination, not genocide or a goal towards a final solution or even wide spread entrenched racism.


Measurable racism in every sphere of life isn't 'wide spread entrenched racism'? And somehow these are 'small' disparities? We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Widespread racial discrimination that ends up killing ethnic minorities may not fit your definition of 'genocide', but people whose lives are at stake might be a little more perceptive to this topic than someone who isn't targeted by such racism, whose life or livelihood on the line.

Proudfotz wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
So the idea that talking about this fact of life is what is 'pitting Black against White' is ludicrous.


Except that it isn't. The conflicts of racial relations today aren't driven by "whites." They are driven by black activists ready to pick the corpse of anyone that falls. And it's in their interest to keep "The Black Problem" alive.


Complete and utter bullshit, as the articles from many respected sources indicate.


No it's not. Not when black activists descend on the corpse of any black killed like blowflies and preach hate while hypocritically calling for calm.


Yes, if it wasn't for people protesting racists killing ethnic minorities, the racist would just stop on their own. [/sarcasm]

It's absurd you're trying to blame the persistence of racism in police departments, law courts, prisons, etc on the victims.

Proudfootz wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
So, yeah - let's just ignore this problem and it will go away. Meanwhile my ignoring your trolling is important. For reasons.


What problem would that be, and where did I troll this thread or forum cite?


Duh. Racism in the United States - You keep asking the same idiotic question as if it hasn't been answered already and implicit in the discussion that was ongoing before you started to play dumb.


So now we're talking about racism and not genocide and a final solution? When did I say that racism didn't exist anywhere? If I dispute that there is genocide going on with a goal towards a final solution that means that I am denying that there is racism?

Proudfootz wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote: It's understandable if you have no response of any significance.


Yeah, right. Your ignoring responsible journalism, academic studies, and scientific inquiry isn't 'significant' enough for you.

I'm not interested in trying to hold a conversation with one of Limbaugh's dittoheads, which is why I didn't respond to your trolling earlier.


What makes me a dittohead? Is everyone that disagrees with your over the top assertions and thoughtless statements a dittohead?


Not all of them. :thumbup:

But is extremely bizarre to encounter someone who thinks activists who combat racism are the real cause of racial tension.

Proudfootz wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote: If so you should say so, but declaring me a troll doesn't cut it.


It's your posts which appear to be troll like - ignoring answers to your questions and pretending your uninformed opinion is more important than responsible journalism, academic studies, and scientific investigation.


Where did I say that responsible journalism, academic studies, and scientific investigation aren't important?


You didn't say they weren't. You just counted the number of links I provided (since I know you'll demand links) and apparently didn't read them as you had zero rational response to them.

If you say that there is discrimination in housing based on one of your articles and something should be done about it, I'm right there with you, but not on board that this is evidence for genocide with a goal towards a final solution.

If you say that medical care might be unequal and cite articles and studies, I say that should be looked into and if that's true then a solution should be looked for.

If you say that a larger percentage of minorities are shot by police and you have articles and studies that support this then I say we should do something about that.

Taking a position against your unfounded and unsupportable hyperbole is not trolling and does make me a racist dittohead.


I didn't mean to style you a 'racist dittohead'.

It's just that blaming ethnic minorities for racism reads to me exactly like the sort of victim-blaming I expect from folks like Rush Limbaugh.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
proudfootz
 
Posts: 11006

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#549  Postby Oldskeptic » Aug 16, 2015 3:54 pm

Proudfootz wrote:
I didn't mean to style you a 'racist dittohead'.

It's just that blaming ethnic minorities for racism reads to me exactly like the sort of victim-blaming I expect from folks like Rush Limbaugh.


I haven't blamed ethnic minorities for racism directed at them, but I will hold ethnic minorities accountable for their own racism towards others.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Oldskeptic
 
Posts: 7395
Age: 64
Male

Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#550  Postby Pulsar » Aug 16, 2015 5:51 pm

Via Jerry Coyne's blog, I came across the cover story for the September issue of The Atlantic, written by Greg Lukianoff (president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education) and Jonathan Haidt (social psychologist and professor of ethical leadership at the NYU-Stern School of Business). It's a very extensive article, and absolutely terrifying. What the hell is going on at US colleges???

Full link: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

The Coddling of the American Mind

In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health.

Something strange is happening at America’s colleges and universities. A movement is arising, undirected and driven largely by students, to scrub campuses clean of words, ideas, and subjects that might cause discomfort or give offense.

(continues)


They mention several anecdotes concerning "microaggresions":

The term microaggression originated in the 1970s and referred to subtle, often unconscious racist affronts. The definition has expanded in recent years to include anything that can be perceived as discriminatory on virtually any basis. For example, in 2013, a student group at UCLA staged a sit-in during a class taught by Val Rust, an education professor. The group read a letter aloud expressing their concerns about the campus’s hostility toward students of color. Although Rust was not explicitly named, the group quite clearly criticized his teaching as microaggressive. In the course of correcting his students’ grammar and spelling, Rust had noted that a student had wrongly capitalized the first letter of the word indigenous. Lowercasing the capital I was an insult to the student and her ideology, the group claimed.

Even joking about microaggressions can be seen as an aggression, warranting punishment. Last fall, Omar Mahmood, a student at the University of Michigan, wrote a satirical column for a conservative student publication, The Michigan Review, poking fun at what he saw as a campus tendency to perceive microaggressions in just about anything. Mahmood was also employed at the campus newspaper, The Michigan Daily. The Daily’s editors said that the way Mahmood had “satirically mocked the experiences of fellow Daily contributors and minority communities on campus … created a conflict of interest.” The Daily terminated Mahmood after he described the incident to two Web sites, The College Fix and The Daily Caller. A group of women later vandalized Mahmood’s doorway with eggs, hot dogs, gum, and notes with messages such as “Everyone hates you, you violent prick.” When speech comes to be seen as a form of violence, vindictive protectiveness can justify a hostile, and perhaps even violent, response.

In March, the student government at Ithaca College, in upstate New York, went so far as to propose the creation of an anonymous microaggression-reporting system. Student sponsors envisioned some form of disciplinary action against “oppressors” engaged in belittling speech. One of the sponsors of the program said that while “not … every instance will require trial or some kind of harsh punishment,” she wanted the program to be “record-keeping but with impact.”

Holy shit. How are these students going to behave when they leave the classroom?
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Pulsar
 
Posts: 4618
Age: 44
Male

Country: Belgium
Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#551  Postby OlivierK » Aug 16, 2015 9:31 pm

Either they're going to grow out of it, as every generation grows out of the idealistic bullshit they were attached to in college, or they'll end up in politics. The best result is for the ideals to survive the loss of the idealism, but if they don't manage that, then they'll probably become run-of-the-mill Republican voters.
User avatar
OlivierK
 
Posts: 9858
Age: 55
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#552  Postby proudfootz » Aug 16, 2015 10:56 pm

The 'American mind' has been coddling racists for so long, curing it might mean some discomfort for people who habitually demean others.

Either they'll learn something from it, or double down on it.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
proudfootz
 
Posts: 11006

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#553  Postby laklak » Aug 17, 2015 2:45 am

OlivierK wrote:Either they're going to grow out of it, as every generation grows out of the idealistic bullshit they were attached to in college, or they'll end up in politics.


If you're not a liberal in college then you have no heart. If you aren't conservative by 50 you don't have a job. If you're not a Libertarian by 60 you don't have a brain.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 67
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#554  Postby Forty Two » Aug 18, 2015 3:30 pm

Pulsar wrote:Via Jerry Coyne's blog, I came across the cover story for the September issue of The Atlantic, written by Greg Lukianoff (president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education) and Jonathan Haidt (social psychologist and professor of ethical leadership at the NYU-Stern School of Business). It's a very extensive article, and absolutely terrifying. What the hell is going on at US colleges???

Full link: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

The Coddling of the American Mind

In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health.

Something strange is happening at America’s colleges and universities. A movement is arising, undirected and driven largely by students, to scrub campuses clean of words, ideas, and subjects that might cause discomfort or give offense.

(continues)


They mention several anecdotes concerning "microaggresions":

The term microaggression originated in the 1970s and referred to subtle, often unconscious racist affronts. The definition has expanded in recent years to include anything that can be perceived as discriminatory on virtually any basis. For example, in 2013, a student group at UCLA staged a sit-in during a class taught by Val Rust, an education professor. The group read a letter aloud expressing their concerns about the campus’s hostility toward students of color. Although Rust was not explicitly named, the group quite clearly criticized his teaching as microaggressive. In the course of correcting his students’ grammar and spelling, Rust had noted that a student had wrongly capitalized the first letter of the word indigenous. Lowercasing the capital I was an insult to the student and her ideology, the group claimed.

Even joking about microaggressions can be seen as an aggression, warranting punishment. Last fall, Omar Mahmood, a student at the University of Michigan, wrote a satirical column for a conservative student publication, The Michigan Review, poking fun at what he saw as a campus tendency to perceive microaggressions in just about anything. Mahmood was also employed at the campus newspaper, The Michigan Daily. The Daily’s editors said that the way Mahmood had “satirically mocked the experiences of fellow Daily contributors and minority communities on campus … created a conflict of interest.” The Daily terminated Mahmood after he described the incident to two Web sites, The College Fix and The Daily Caller. A group of women later vandalized Mahmood’s doorway with eggs, hot dogs, gum, and notes with messages such as “Everyone hates you, you violent prick.” When speech comes to be seen as a form of violence, vindictive protectiveness can justify a hostile, and perhaps even violent, response.

In March, the student government at Ithaca College, in upstate New York, went so far as to propose the creation of an anonymous microaggression-reporting system. Student sponsors envisioned some form of disciplinary action against “oppressors” engaged in belittling speech. One of the sponsors of the program said that while “not … every instance will require trial or some kind of harsh punishment,” she wanted the program to be “record-keeping but with impact.”

Holy shit. How are these students going to behave when they leave the classroom?


Just like the little twerps they are. They'll go to work and expect to be the focus of attention, and that everyone will be concerned with how they feel and their comfort level. They'll be in for a rude awakening. But, then again, this may be the wave of the future, and the next generations will sail to greatness on a wave of outrage and navel-gazing.
Forty Two
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Harcourt Mudd
Posts: 1431

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#555  Postby mario_sunny » Dec 23, 2015 6:34 pm

Forty Two wrote:Just like the little twerps they are. They'll go to work and expect to be the focus of attention, and that everyone will be concerned with how they feel and their comfort level. They'll be in for a rude awakening. But, then again, this may be the wave of the future, and the next generations will sail to greatness on a wave of outrage and navel-gazing.


Universities have adjusted their policies to cater to their students' demands. Perhaps businesses will do the same for their employees.
Ignorance is a virtue.
User avatar
mario_sunny
 
Name: Tyler Hurson
Posts: 4

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#556  Postby proudfootz » Dec 24, 2015 1:10 am

mario_sunny wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Just like the little twerps they are. They'll go to work and expect to be the focus of attention, and that everyone will be concerned with how they feel and their comfort level. They'll be in for a rude awakening. But, then again, this may be the wave of the future, and the next generations will sail to greatness on a wave of outrage and navel-gazing.


Universities have adjusted their policies to cater to their students' demands. Perhaps businesses will do the same for their employees.


Yes, so very weird that organizations that hope to make money from their customers cater to their customers. :ask:
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
proudfootz
 
Posts: 11006

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#557  Postby thaesofereode » Dec 24, 2015 1:25 am

Okay. Couldn't even bring myself to read the entire thread.

This is what college is FOR -- exposure to others, to conflict, to vigorous debate, having to defend your position, to cope, to stretch your mind, to grow a spine, to try to see other points of view even if you disagree, to grow up, to get a grip, to get over yourself, to broaden your world view, to be FORCED to broaden your world view, get your "bubble burst," to find out that about SOME things, your parents were right, but that YOU can form your own opinions, to realize that life's unfair, to discover who you are, to acquire some flexibility, agility, tolerance, and knowledge; to learn about others and who THEY are.

It's a fucking education -- beyond books and coddling and misconceptions.
thaesofereode
 
Posts: 823

Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#558  Postby Thommo » Dec 24, 2015 1:40 am

-
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#559  Postby Nicko » Dec 24, 2015 10:58 am

OlivierK wrote:Either they're going to grow out of it, as every generation grows out of the idealistic bullshit they were attached to in college, or they'll end up in politics. The best result is for the ideals to survive the loss of the idealism, but if they don't manage that, then they'll probably become run-of-the-mill Republican voters.


The article Pulsar linked to is not describing "idealism".

It's bullying, plain and simple. The prevailing culture at Michigan identified Omar Mahmood as an "acceptable target": someone who could be attacked with impunity. The bullies reacted accordingly, just as bullies did when racial minorities or homosexuals were "acceptable targets".

Though I do agree that these people would probably be just as at home hurling right-wing rubbish as left-wing rubbish.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
User avatar
Nicko
 
Name: Nick Williams
Posts: 8641
Age: 45
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#560  Postby proudfootz » Dec 25, 2015 3:32 am

thaesofereode wrote:Okay. Couldn't even bring myself to read the entire thread.

This is what college is FOR -- exposure to others, to conflict, to vigorous debate, having to defend your position, to cope, to stretch your mind, to grow a spine, to try to see other points of view even if you disagree, to grow up, to get a grip, to get over yourself, to broaden your world view, to be FORCED to broaden your world view, get your "bubble burst," to find out that about SOME things, your parents were right, but that YOU can form your own opinions, to realize that life's unfair, to discover who you are, to acquire some flexibility, agility, tolerance, and knowledge; to learn about others and who THEY are.

It's a fucking education -- beyond books and coddling and misconceptions.


:nono:

So why does everyone want to coddle the bigots? :scratch:
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
proudfootz
 
Posts: 11006

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest