Microaggressions

Or, Has the World Gone Stark Raving Mad?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Microaggressions

#561  Postby romansh » Dec 25, 2015 5:36 am

laklak wrote:Before I post I just want to apologize in advance for any micro, macro, meta, or middling aggressions I may or may not commit. I'm sorry.

So you should be for substituting middling for meso
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#562  Postby orpheus » Dec 25, 2015 10:36 pm

Classification is difficult. What about zeptoaggressions?*

*Not to be confused with "Zeppo-aggressions", which don't appear very often.*

*get it?
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#563  Postby Thommo » Dec 26, 2015 2:43 am

orpheus wrote:*get it?

I'd give it 9 Marx out of 10?
Thommo

Print view this post

#564  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 26, 2015 2:55 am

orpheus wrote:
*Not to be confused with "Zeppo-aggressions", which don't appear very often.*

And when they do, they're usually just a setup for Grouchoggressions, Chicogressions or Harpogressions.
Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Dec 26, 2015 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#565  Postby orpheus » Dec 26, 2015 4:11 am

Which reminds me...the original "pile on":

“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#566  Postby Saim » Jan 07, 2016 6:44 pm

Forty Two wrote:Are you sure about that? When I've gone to Europe, people asked me where I was from, and commented on my interesting accent. When I attempted to speak the language, they complimented me on my attempts.

It's different.

When someone asks someone like me, who was born and raised in Australia, "where they're from" in Australia, and don't even accept the answer ("I was born in Brisbane", "I'm from here", "born in Brisbane, raised on the Sunshine Coast" --> "no I meant what country?"/"where are you actually from?"), that's racism.

When my mum is asked several times a month "where she's from" in grocery stores and other random places from people who again, despite having lived in Australia for two decades now, that's xenophobia.

Asking people where they're from when you're not actually interested is a way of telling them that they're foreign.

Sendraks wrote:Seriously though - I can see where they are coming from with some of this. Although I think rebranding stuff as "microaggressions" serves no useful purpose to anyone, just causes confusion and adds no value.

Yes, pretty much everything they've listed are the kinds of statements the contribute to the general background noise of a racism or sexism or other forms of discrimination within a culture. They're all things that, as a rule, CIS white people, don't have to put up with in western society.

But calling them "microaggressions" is just daft.

In my own life this category has been pretty useful, though. There are times when people say this kind of stuff to you and when you complain about it others say "they were just curious/being nice/take a chill pill" or whatever, which always made me wonder why I always felt like utter shit afterwards. The concept of microagressian has explain why people don't need to directly insult or attack you, they can just subtly put you down without even realising it in some cases.
Saim

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#567  Postby laklak » Jan 07, 2016 7:06 pm

I find the best response to idiotic and/or denigrating questions or comments is "Go fuck yourself".
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#568  Postby Boyle » Jan 07, 2016 7:09 pm

Sometimes I even fuck 'em meself.
Boyle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#569  Postby laklak » Jan 07, 2016 7:12 pm

If they hold still long enough that's certainly an option.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#570  Postby Saim » Jan 08, 2016 11:12 pm

laklak wrote:I find the best response to idiotic and/or denigrating questions or comments is "Go fuck yourself".

When you look like a Muslim it doesn't work, people just get scared or call you a terrorist, and even your progressive friends tell you you're "helping them confirm their prejudices". Thanks for the advice though.
Saim

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities