Microaggressions

Or, Has the World Gone Stark Raving Mad?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Microaggressions

#1  Postby Forty Two » Jun 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Finally! We have some academic support and explanation of the term "microaggression," so that we can all govern every jot, tittle, twitch and blurb.

From the vaunted institution of the University of California..... we have the following information sheet direct from its Office of the President.

http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel- ... ssions.pdf

If you meet a foreign born student and compliment them on their English speaking ability --- you have microaggressed.

There is only one race, the human race. America is a melting pot.

Questioning another person's stories...... i.e. skepticism.

I believe the most qualified person should get the job.

Men and women have equal opportunities.

LOL -- Microaggressions....

The UCLA list was adapted from Sue, Derald Wing, Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Race, Gender and Sexual Orientation, Wiley & Sons, 2010.

This is madness. The fact that this sort of thing has been adopted by one of the most well-known educational institutions in the United States -- UCLA and the University of California in general -- this is alarming. I mean, we're not talking some podunk little bubble of a college catering to a fetish. This is one of the leading universities in the US.
Last edited by Forty Two on Jun 29, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forty Two

Name: Harcourt Mudd

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Microaggressions

#2  Postby Sendraks » Jun 29, 2015 2:24 pm

404 File Not Found - by providing me with an incorrect link, you have microaggressed.

I think you should go away somewhere quiet and think about what you've done. You terrible microaggressor.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Forty Two » Jun 29, 2015 2:36 pm

Sendraks wrote:404 File Not Found - by providing me with an incorrect link, you have microaggressed.

I think you should go away somewhere quiet and think about what you've done. You terrible microaggressor.

I know it can't possibly make up for the harm I caused, but I have fixed the link..... I am sorry.

And, if my apology is a metaaggression, I'm sorry for that too...
Forty Two

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sendraks » Jun 29, 2015 2:40 pm

I fear my microaggression has led to your metaggressive state of contrition.

For which I apologise.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Sendraks » Jun 29, 2015 2:44 pm

Seriously though - I can see where they are coming from with some of this. Although I think rebranding stuff as "microaggressions" serves no useful purpose to anyone, just causes confusion and adds no value.

Yes, pretty much everything they've listed are the kinds of statements the contribute to the general background noise of a racism or sexism or other forms of discrimination within a culture. They're all things that, as a rule, CIS white people, don't have to put up with in western society.

But calling them "microaggressions" is just daft.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Jun 29, 2015 2:44 pm

Before I post I just want to apologize in advance for any micro, macro, meta, or middling aggressions I may or may not commit. I'm sorry.

Thank you.

Honestly, thank you very much.

And again, I apologize.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Seabass » Jun 29, 2015 6:49 pm

You are a credit to your race, Laklak.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#8  Postby campermon » Jun 29, 2015 7:36 pm

There should be a trigger warning on this thread.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby THWOTH » Jun 29, 2015 8:18 pm

I find that suggestion extremely offensive!
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby igorfrankensteen » Jun 29, 2015 9:11 pm

Weeeeel, it is a bit silly, and a bit overboard.

Something to ponder a bit though...one of the genuine purposes of Universities, has always been to cross over boundaries and explore new concepts and to investigate new ways of looking at things.

If a GOVERNMENT is the one that starts 'trying on" new conceptual suits of clothes, so to speak, then it is something to object to.

If an institution of learning and exploration does so, it should be lauded for it's risk taking and its willingness to risk looking foolish for the sake of learning.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Jun 29, 2015 11:45 pm

This is a brave new world where the one taking offense is given priority.

Extrapolate on the consequences.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Jun 29, 2015 11:47 pm

igorfrankensteen wrote:
If an institution of learning and exploration does so, it should be lauded for it's risk taking and its willingness to risk looking foolish for the sake of learning.

You have offended me. You should be sanctioned.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Jun 29, 2015 11:49 pm

We have become a society of pure selfishness. This is an example of higher learning actually teaching this world view. It is all about me and how I can use authority structures to satisfy my particular personal desires.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Forty Two » Jun 30, 2015 3:50 pm

Sendraks wrote:Seriously though - I can see where they are coming from with some of this. Although I think rebranding stuff as "microaggressions" serves no useful purpose to anyone, just causes confusion and adds no value.

Yes, pretty much everything they've listed are the kinds of statements the contribute to the general background noise of a racism or sexism or other forms of discrimination within a culture. They're all things that, as a rule, CIS white people, don't have to put up with in western society.

But calling them "microaggressions" is just daft.

Are you sure about that? When I've gone to Europe, people asked me where I was from, and commented on my interesting accent. When I attempted to speak the language, they complimented me on my attempts.

I was recently in South America, and I stood out because i am tall and white -- it drew interest and comment. I mean, the reality is that if you're different than the prevailing culture, people notice you. When people interact, they often talk about what is different or unusual, and not what is the norm.

Very few of the things are the "kinds of statements that contribute to the general background noise of racism or sexism." I mean -- comments that one wishes everyone was promoted on merit is a microaggression? A comment that one does not believe in race or that we are all one race, the human race, is a microaggression? That's insanity.
Forty Two

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Sendraks » Jun 30, 2015 3:58 pm

Forty Two wrote:Are you sure about that?

Yes I'm sure.
I'm also sure that you don't understand the problem and the examples that you've provided, neatly illustrate this fact.
All the information you need to reach an informed understanding of this subject is available here in this thread, I suggest you go away and make an effort at learning.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#16  Postby Forty Two » Jun 30, 2015 4:19 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Are you sure about that?

Yes I'm sure.
I'm also sure that you don't understand the problem and the examples that you've provided, neatly illustrate this fact.
All the information you need to reach an informed understanding of this subject is available here in this thread, I suggest you go away and make an effort at learning.

You suggest I go away from the thread I created? I think not.

This post of yours is mind-bogglingly stupid, and on top of that it is unjustifiably arrogant.

If you are sure that i don't understand the problem and the examples, then provide an explanation. I'm not going to go out in search of your argument, other than to say that you haven't made one here in this thread. Your kind of post is generally made by those who don't know what they're talking about, but like the proverbial chess-playing-pigeon, you want to knock over all the pieces, crap all over the board and declare victory. You won't post something reasonable, so you just attack me personally, and tell me to go "do the research" in much the same way as a Creationist who doesn't want to try to defend his own position.
Forty Two

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 30, 2015 5:46 pm

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:This is a brave new world where the one taking offense is given priority.

Extrapolate on the consequences.

I foresee a shortage of tin foil and straw.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby THWOTH » Jun 30, 2015 6:18 pm

..and a bitter taste to the well.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby laklak » Jun 30, 2015 8:02 pm

I'd add a few to the list.

"Old cisgendered white patriarchial male" - assumes that because I'm white, retired, happy to have a dick, and only stick it in women that I'm unable to understand the issues and problems faced by people who are not exactly like me. Assumes I'm stupid, lack empathy, and exploit my status to the detriment of others.

"Gun Nut" - implies that because I own firearms I am a knuckle-dragging moron with a small penis.

"Libertoonian" - A slur based entirely on the fact that my political philosophy includes a large degree of self-reliance. Assumes I'm a selfish moron who cannot understand 101 level economics and I'm probably a "Gun Nut" (see above) and/or a "Rethuglican" (see below).

"Rethuglican" - Akin to "Libertoonian", this slur assumes I (though I am not and never have been a member of the GOP) am a racist, homophobic, Christian fundamentalist and probably fuck rent boys.

My response to these slurs, as well as most of those in the original article, is "Go fuck yourself". This is not an example of microaggression, BTW, it's more like plain, old-fashioned aggression, something I'm happy to engage in if necessary.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#20  Postby THWOTH » Jun 30, 2015 9:10 pm

:lol:
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities