Our Loss of Wisdom - Barry Schwartz

Ted Talk

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Our Loss of Wisdom - Barry Schwartz

#1  Postby kennyc » Sep 18, 2015 11:37 am

Excellent TED talk about society, wisdom, humanity...



at the Ted site: http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz ... m#t-369606

Also very interesting in light of the idiotic school teachers and administrators in Texas....
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
User avatar
kennyc
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Posts: 8698
Male

Country: U.S.A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Our Loss of Wisdom - Barry Schwartz

#2  Postby crank » Sep 18, 2015 5:39 pm

I'll definitely watch, his talk on Barry Schwartz: The paradox of choice is really good, a must see.

There is no light from the idiotic school teachers and administrators in Texas 8-)
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
User avatar
crank
RS Donator
 
Name: Sick & Tired
Posts: 10413
Age: 6
Male

Country: 2nd miasma on the left
Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Re: Our Loss of Wisdom - Barry Schwartz

#3  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 02, 2015 2:03 am

It's not in this video, but my favorite quote from Barry is, "The key to happiness is low expectations."
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Oldskeptic
 
Posts: 7395
Age: 64
Male

Print view this post

Re: Our Loss of Wisdom - Barry Schwartz

#4  Postby crank » Oct 02, 2015 3:04 am

If that's not a line out of a Woody Allen movie, it shoulda been.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
User avatar
crank
RS Donator
 
Name: Sick & Tired
Posts: 10413
Age: 6
Male

Country: 2nd miasma on the left
Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Re: Our Loss of Wisdom - Barry Schwartz

#5  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 03, 2015 5:24 am

crank wrote:If that's not a line out of a Woody Allen movie, it shoulda been.


In reality it's more appropriate to Lao Tzu, but the Barry quote I was referring to actually comes at minute 15:07 in the video you linked to.

What resonated with me is that I already had accepted this as something to live by, but had not heard anyone express it in such simple terms.

It's one thing for esoteric Zen and Doaist philosophers to hint at things like this, but it was Barry Schwartz that brought it home.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Oldskeptic
 
Posts: 7395
Age: 64
Male

Print view this post

Re: Our Loss of Wisdom - Barry Schwartz

#6  Postby crank » Oct 03, 2015 5:37 am

I wan't trying to dispute what you said, it was just a thought that popped up. I'm a big fan of Schwarts, he has great insight into how our minds operate. I know I'd be a lot happier if I thought that way, although my expectations are about as low as it's possible for them to be, with reality usually managing to still fall short.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
User avatar
crank
RS Donator
 
Name: Sick & Tired
Posts: 10413
Age: 6
Male

Country: 2nd miasma on the left
Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Re: Our Loss of Wisdom - Barry Schwartz

#7  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 03, 2015 9:13 am

crank wrote:I wan't trying to dispute what you said, it was just a thought that popped up. I'm a big fan of Schwarts, he has great insight into how our minds operate. I know I'd be a lot happier if I thought that way, although my expectations are about as low as it's possible for them to be, with reality usually managing to still fall short.


And I wasn't saying that the quote wouldn't have fit well in a Woody Allen monologue. Humor often contains truth that would otherwise be dismissed if delivered in serious tones.

I don't know how old you are but I have to admit that it was made far more easy to maintain low expectations once my daughters were out of the nest and the only person that I had to look after materially was mice elf.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Oldskeptic
 
Posts: 7395
Age: 64
Male

Print view this post

Re: Our Loss of Wisdom - Barry Schwartz

#8  Postby crank » Oct 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
crank wrote:I wan't trying to dispute what you said, it was just a thought that popped up. I'm a big fan of Schwarts, he has great insight into how our minds operate. I know I'd be a lot happier if I thought that way, although my expectations are about as low as it's possible for them to be, with reality usually managing to still fall short.


And I wasn't saying that the quote wouldn't have fit well in a Woody Allen monologue. Humor often contains truth that would otherwise be dismissed if delivered in serious tones.

I don't know how old you are but I have to admit that it was made far more easy to maintain low expectations once my daughters were out of the nest and the only person that I had to look after materially was mice elf.

You have a mice elf? You lucky bastard, I'm stuck with bad hobbits, mice elf is a lot more fun to play with. If that's your correct age under your avatar, you are an old, ancient geezer, I've got more than 5 whole months to go before I hit such an advanced age. With only one fairly serious partner over the years, we had really low expectations of having children, neither of us ever got pregnant. Which is good, I wouldn't want any kids, maybe because my idea of parenting would involve stapling the kids feet to the floor of they got unruly.

The way you italicized 'in the video you linked to', it looked like you thought I was disputing that Schwartz said that.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
User avatar
crank
RS Donator
 
Name: Sick & Tired
Posts: 10413
Age: 6
Male

Country: 2nd miasma on the left
Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Re: Our Loss of Wisdom - Barry Schwartz

#9  Postby EmilOWK » Mar 24, 2016 9:45 am

He made a name for himself advocating the idea of choice overload. However, this effect does not exist. Just the usual publication bias in bad areas of psychology.

http://www.scheibehenne.de/Scheibehenne ... dd2010.pdf
http://pps.sagepub.com/content/9/6/666.abstract (with p curves)
EmilOWK
 
Name: Emil O. W. Kirkegaard
Posts: 7

Country: Denmark
Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Re: Our Loss of Wisdom - Barry Schwartz

#10  Postby laklak » Mar 24, 2016 8:59 pm

Begs the question of did we have any wisdom to begin with.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 67
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Our Loss of Wisdom - Barry Schwartz

#11  Postby kennyc » Mar 24, 2016 10:26 pm

crank wrote:I'll definitely watch, his talk on Barry Schwartz: The paradox of choice is really good, a must see.

There is no light from the idiotic school teachers and administrators in Texas 8-)



Excellent!

Thanks!
:thumbup:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
User avatar
kennyc
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Posts: 8698
Male

Country: U.S.A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Our Loss of Wisdom - Barry Schwartz

#12  Postby crank » Mar 29, 2016 5:32 pm

EmilOWK wrote:He made a name for himself advocating the idea of choice overload. However, this effect does not exist. Just the usual publication bias in bad areas of psychology.

http://www.scheibehenne.de/Scheibehenne ... dd2010.pdf
http://pps.sagepub.com/content/9/6/666.abstract (with p curves)

Did you bother to read these papers? They most definitely do not say the effect does not exist. The really basic gist of what I get out of their conclusions is that under certain circumstances, it does indeed exist and that that needs further studies-what makes for theses circumstances.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
User avatar
crank
RS Donator
 
Name: Sick & Tired
Posts: 10413
Age: 6
Male

Country: 2nd miasma on the left
Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post


Return to Social Sciences & Humanities

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest