Paranormal Belief Questionnaire

Questionnaire

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Paranormal Belief Questionnaire

#1  Postby pototm » May 28, 2015 8:23 pm

I am a third year psychology student doing my final year thesis please take 10 minutes to help me.
Here is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6NXH7RY
pototm

Name: Potom
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Paranormal Belief Questionnaire

#2  Postby scott1328 » May 28, 2015 9:10 pm

Okay I took it.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby chairman bill » May 28, 2015 9:14 pm

Some flaws in your survey. Do witches exist? Well yes, I know several people who call themselves witches, therefore witches are objectively real. Do people who call themselves witches, whilst fattening up kids called Hansel & Gretel, flying around on broomsticks etc, exist? Er, no. Might have been worth distinguishing between Wiccans and witches of folk & fairy tales.

Question 31 - 34, asks for the person to rate something across a seven point scale, but doesn't indicate whether 1 or 7 is the highest. I just scored 4 across all fields.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby catbasket » May 28, 2015 9:25 pm

I got as far as:

Below are four statements, each followed by two questions. The questions concern how often and how deeply/strongly you experience what is described in the statement. Please answer both questions after each statement by choosing points on the scale from 1 to 7.

*31. I experience inspiration.

How often does this happen?
How deeply and strongly (in general)?

... and realised I had no idea what to answer. Previously 1 was strongly disagree through to 7 as strongly agree. How do these fit in with answering by selecting 1 through 7 to the above (and subsequent) questions?

[and ninja'd by chairman bill]
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thorham » May 28, 2015 11:58 pm

Took it.

One thing: Whether or not life on other planets exists is a science question, and has nothing to do with the paranormal.
Thorham

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#6  Postby igorfrankensteen » May 29, 2015 12:46 am

Like Chairman Bill, I noted the lack of needed instructions for the 31 and above questions. Was that on purpose, to try to see how people would answer a poorly phrased question?

I answered all fours as well there.

Or is this another one of those trick things, where your real goal is to see if people will comply with the questionnaire at all?
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Scar » May 29, 2015 7:31 am

I answered 4 for inspiration everywhere because I really didn't know what it was supposed to mean exactly.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Sendraks » May 29, 2015 8:33 am

Becuase of the concerns raised by my erudite colleagues, I wont be completing your survey.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Animavore » May 29, 2015 11:41 am

Question 11.

If you break a mirror, you will have bad luck.

I would say that breaking a mirror is bad luck.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby pototm » May 29, 2015 8:41 pm

Thank you all for your participation. Let me start with that, the questionnaires are not mine I cannot change or translate them. Making one takes a long time since you have to test for reliability and validity that can take over a year and lots of participants, and than you publish it to make it available for scholarly criticism. For the thesis I submitted a research proposal to a three member ethics committee and have a supervisor at every step (so there is no plagiarism or ethical issues). The problem with the wording came up before (always with sceptics since the rest of the population doesn`t question anything) I will mention it in the methods section as well as that the whole test is a little bit outdated. However the title Paranormal Belief Q. should be revealing as to what the questions are aimed at, (real witches with actual powers) since one can argue with almost every question in the test in this way. (Of course Nessy exists, it exists in popular culture or peoples minds and so on.) Your criticism is much appreciated as well, it will be part of the write-up.
pototm

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 29, 2015 9:19 pm

Thorham wrote:Took it.

One thing: Whether or not life on other planets exists is a science question, and has nothing to do with the paranormal.

Aren't they all technically science questions?

But yeah, I don't see what life on other planets has to do with the paranormal really. Alien abductions on Earth, perhaps. I assume microscopic bacterial life counts?

What's with the link to the Samaritans?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby pototm » May 30, 2015 4:39 am

Part of the ethical set-up of most questionnaires. If You feel hurt by my questions you can call the help lines. Asking about happiness could make you realise that you are unhappy for example or some such. In part I think it is for the promotion of available help and against social stigmas towards mental illness.
pototm

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Thommo » May 30, 2015 11:05 am

I took it. Good luck with your thesis.
Thommo

Print view this post

#14  Postby Newmark » Jun 02, 2015 8:11 am

Took it.

A few points, though:
Question 23 "Mind reading is not possible" is put as a negative, unlike every other question. Is this intentional?

Furthermore, I've tried to read most questions from a paranormal perspective (in question 23 for instance, I assume you're asking about PSI and/or magic, not the scientific field of thought identification). But, as others have noted, I have a hard time putting such a spin on "20. There is life on other planets".
Newmark

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Shrunk » Jun 02, 2015 2:06 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Thorham wrote:Took it.

Aren't they all technically science questions?

Good point.

Took the survey. Best of luck, pototm.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby pototm » Jun 02, 2015 4:24 pm

Newmark they are called reversed questions. If I remember correctly there should be more than one. These make sure you read all questions. Thanks guys!
pototm

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Nebogipfel » Jun 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Took it. Hope it helps. Good luck with the thesis!
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities