People get happier as they approach 70, study finds

Well is at least something.

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: People get happier as they approach 70, study finds

#21  Postby Macdoc » Mar 10, 2016 6:12 am

The demographic shift with people living longer ( there is some talk that if you are alive now the average age of death is climbing faster than 1 to 1 ) it's horrifying for the structures which we built the economy on, insurance, retirement etc etc.

Japan is a case in point No immigration, falling population and yet increasing life span.

The finances of pensions alone are burying gov budgets....Britain is moving to a 70 year old retirement phase.

I didn't need to take my 65 year pension from the gov but figure I might as well before it gets frittered away or revoked and I certainly feel bad for those that are relying on it.

IF you are financially secure ( and I'm only marginal long term ) tho as a couple we are fine, then it's a horror show trying to find paying work that reflects your knowledge and experience....so many are doing the entry jobs that teens used to occupy.

After 60 most are past dealing with elderly parents....my dad was self sufficient until his death and took care of his wife of 72 years with no help from me.

Not all are so fortunate ....some in their mid 40s-50s get into a horror zone of relatively young kids ( my first was at 41 and second at 42 ) and aging parents with issues.

Friend of mine here is juggling uni age dottor and failing parents....not fun in a place the size of Australia.

Ontario is looking at moving to a basic income plan for everyone which will help with some of the economic issues that arise from an aging population tho affordable housing is an issue facing many otherwise prosperous nations.
At least as you get older it seems you view simpler is better .....when a huge chunk of the boomers realise that the 3+ bedroom digs may fall to market forces but it needs some help from gov to transition.

Up until maybe 100 years ago or even less, aging parents were integrated into the extended family often under one roof ....the nuclear family screwed that up. Now with families scattered across the globe in many cases, people end up relying on their social circle and too often end up lonely in a too big house.

When you consider this

these are averages...consider how many are going to go longer than that and many, like my dad active well into their 90s and many contributing.

Dad worked 31 years at INCO and collected pension for 30 years after that. Tough fro companies and govs to plan.

If you are healthy, have some finance base.....yeah it's a pretty good time of life and drugs and revised expectations keep people acting and thinking younger.

It's giving actuarials and govs nightmares....:coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 10, 2016 9:36 am

Like lak I am very much enjoying this phase of life. My wife and I do most things we wont to do and go where we wont to go.
Financially we have no real problems so yes coming up to our seventies we are both quite happy.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Exstinctum » Mar 10, 2016 11:57 am

kiore wrote:
Macdoc wrote:
There's something I have noticed about the elderly, especially approaching that age - they are not obligated to follow any normal social rules or norms, really follow any pretense of any sorts, rather just can be and most people will never say a single word. I find it quite fascinating, actually. Perhaps it's smelling death around the corner what makes you completely abandon the feeling that you should just blindly follow any such norms or even be concerned about the society thinking of you in a particular way, positive or not, as a concept. I have never met a single person that age who would even hesitate to tell me exactly what they think, and I do have enormous respect for something like that.

Death around the corner????!!!!!! Elderly !!!! surely you jest

68 riding motorcycle off road and on and travelling the world.....60s is middle age these days....both parents got to 95....dad still driving and alert.

Not a thought about death around the corner.....aches and pains....yes that's annoying but then there is Celebrex.
Elderly is 80+ and even then some are still out riding mcycles and doing incredible stuff.

People in this 60s age bracket do tend to speak their minds as I think their confidence in having had a "good life" ( even if there are ups and downs ) is pretty high and they've refined their approach to certain "embedded wisdom" from life experience.

Let's us get past the minor stuff that often younger people obsess on.

I agree here although you have a serious head start on me, I specialize in the field of population health and 'middle age' is now what would have been considered not long ago to be elderly, now for most people in the developed world that title elderly is reserved for those who are debilitated. If approaching 70 means you have financial security for yourself and your significant others, have to work less, and are concerned less about fighting tooth and nail in some organizational structure.. then yes no surprise.

Where I'm from, the average life expectancy of males is 68 years and for women 78 years. That's not even the point. I look at it more like the age when people retire and that accounts for a lot of the freedom I'm implying. You can do what you want and when you want it, you don't have to worry about saying the wrong thing or being seen in a negative light, since you don't rely upon having a job and have secured wealth and family. People certainly will treat you with more respect and be less critical precisely because you have lived a long life and have witnessed a lot.

68 riding motorcycle off road and on and travelling the world.....60s is middle age these days....both parents got to 95....dad still driving and alert.

Not sure what these anecdotal examples are supposed to demonstrate, but it's certainly not a reality for the vast majority of people. As you reach that age, you notice that your memory becomes weaker, instincts slower, stamina declines and all sorts of ailments begin to let themselves known. I would find it very hard to imagine that with it doesn't come at least philosophical contemplation about the end, a thought of getting all your affairs in order before it's too late. Clearly, in my context ''smelling death'' meant that after you reach that age, you have crossed the middle line and now are heading for the finish line, which is something that no one would ignore and with that realization perspective does change. Don't see why it would be so hard to deduce.
“Fantasy, abandoned by reason, produces impossible monsters; united with it, she is the mother of the arts and the origin of marvels.”
Exstinctum

Name: zubrils
Male

Latvia (lv)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Macdoc » Mar 10, 2016 1:39 pm

Deduce?? You mean you are conjecturing ....making it up from whole clothe..

I think your imagination is getting carried away. Except when prodded by legal types to update a will etc .....people don't sit and navel gaze .....they get on with enjoying life and many choose a new career...planning what adventures they will have the coming year etc.

6 Popular Choices for Second Career in Retirement
http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/...secon ... ./673662...
Sep 4, 2015 - After retirement, many retirees discover they still feel vibrant and want to work. According to the Employee Benefit Research Institute, 65 percent ...

You also overstate declines ....the human body stops maturing around 25 - so why pick on one decade....in some aspects - especially mental ......
The myth that neurons stop developing has been busted

Older people do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe.
Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full up, so to do humans take longer to access information, it has been suggested.
Researchers say this slowing down it is not the same as cognitive decline.
“The human brain works slower in old age,” said Dr. Michael Ramscar, “but only because we have stored more information over time
“The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... -much.html

We have a mixed group of trivia players that meet socially every Thursday ....a few 30 somethings and most 60+ and over the years we consistently trounce the younger groups.
Now yeah we're mostly medical or tech types with uni degrees and more with the rest in hospitality industry ....we whacked the hell out of a bunch of pilots last round. ( there are usually about 10 teams ).

Many top Duplicate Bridge players are in that age group

The best bridge player in America is a former options trader.The second best is a former commodities trader.
The third best is an investment advisor.

Note the pattern? America’s highest-rated bridge players are overwhelmingly composed of Wall Street guys. Bridge is a complex card game that fits the analytic side of finance, as poker appeals to instincts.

It is most popular among options traders. Like bridge, “[options] trading is a game in which the player must study patterns and make accurate decisions quickly,” says NYT bridge columnist Alan Truscott.

There are many activities where people continue to get better - and regularly trounce younger age groups...

The subjects were also given a variety of mental tests, and the Scrabble players only did especially well in the Scrabble-related skills (anagramming words and generating words that start with a particular letter). They were able to successfully anagram 3 times more words than the control group and 14 times more words than the undergrads.

There were three test groups in the experiment: a group of undergraduates, a group of competitive Scrabble players recruited from a tournament, and a third group of subjects chosen to have the same age distribution as the Scrabble players (with an average age of 57).

and you don't worry about zits ... :roll:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#25  Postby laklak » Mar 10, 2016 4:01 pm

There are concrete steps you can take to improve your quality of life - eating better, less alcohol, more exercise, REGULAR DENTAL CHECKUPS (you can't overemphasize this), etc. All these are important, but I think the most effective thing is staying busy and engaged with the world. I don't care what it is: photography, work, volunteering, sports, motorcycles, trawlers, doesn't matter as long as in engages you both physically and mentally. I'm busier now than I've been in years, there's always one project or another.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Exstinctum » Mar 10, 2016 4:22 pm

laklak wrote:There are concrete steps you can take to improve your quality of life - eating better, less alcohol, more exercise, REGULAR DENTAL CHECKUPS (you can't overemphasize this), etc. All these are important, but I think the most effective thing is staying busy and engaged with the world. I don't care what it is: photography, work, volunteering, sports, motorcycles, trawlers, doesn't matter as long as in engages you both physically and mentally. I'm busier now than I've been in years, there's always one project or another.

Just found myself guilty on all charges. I think the best way of staying healthy though, is to be engaged with ideas and subjects of intellectual merit. That's what keeps you young and alive. Standing up for good ideas is the fuel of a strong soul.
“Fantasy, abandoned by reason, produces impossible monsters; united with it, she is the mother of the arts and the origin of marvels.”
Exstinctum

Male

Latvia (lv)
Print view this post

#27  Postby laklak » Mar 10, 2016 5:56 pm

A young wife is an antidote for old age.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 10, 2016 6:01 pm

laklak wrote:A young wife is an antidote for old age.

No. I never found that lak. Generation differences creates a whole set of other problems.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby laklak » Mar 10, 2016 6:15 pm

Keeps me on my toes. It helps that we're both expat stock and grew up overseas, there isn't much of a generation gap. Plus the fact that I'm completely immature helps.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#30  Postby campermon » Mar 10, 2016 6:16 pm

Animavore wrote:It's because they know it's nearly all over.

Best post!

[/thread]

:grin:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 10, 2016 6:24 pm

laklak wrote:Keeps me on my toes. It helps that we're both expat stock and grew up overseas, there isn't much of a generation gap. Plus the fact that I'm completely immature helps.

I find 10 years more than enough and I am not immature. I had an Italian girlfriend who was 25 years my junior. That was very demanding and did not work out. It was great fun and I enjoyed it very much but could not keep the tempo up.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#32  Postby laklak » Mar 10, 2016 6:55 pm

16 years here. Yeah I agree 25 might be a bridge too far, she'd be 36. My daughter's age. They say half your age plus 7, so 38? Still seems a bit too much. At 45 Mrs. Lak is just right. Actually, I met her when I was 47 and she was 31, so 1/2 plus 7 was right on the money.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 10, 2016 7:04 pm

laklak wrote:16 years here. Yeah I agree 25 might be a bridge too far, she'd be 36. My daughter's age. They say half your age plus 7, so 38? Still seems a bit too much. At 45 Mrs. Lak is just right. Actually, I met her when I was 47 and she was 31, so 1/2 plus 7 was right on the money.

She was actually younger than my daughter.
We have friends in Ireland she being 16 years younger. He is 90 and she is 76 and finds it a massive strain.
I dont know what is best. Some thing you have to find out. Part of life's tapestry :lol:
Mind you that was part of the fun; finding out.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#34  Postby laklak » Mar 10, 2016 7:16 pm

I do worry a bit about extreme older age. When I'm 70 she'll be 54, so that should still be OK. 70 isn't that old these days. 64 when I'm 80, and 74 when I'm 90, might be a problem there. She's welcome to shag the pool boy if I'm not up to the task.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#35  Postby campermon » Mar 10, 2016 7:31 pm

laklak wrote: She's welcome to shag the pool boy if I'm not up to the task.

You called?

:grin:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#36  Postby don't get me started » Mar 11, 2016 5:02 am

laklak wrote:There are concrete steps you can take to improve your quality of life - eating better, less alcohol, more exercise, REGULAR DENTAL CHECKUPS (you can't overemphasize this), etc. All these are important, but I think the most effective thing is staying busy and engaged with the world. I don't care what it is: photography, work, volunteering, sports, motorcycles, trawlers, doesn't matter as long as in engages you both physically and mentally. I'm busier now than I've been in years, there's always one project or another.

Spot on laklak, especially the keeping engaged with the world, and especially keeping engaged with people. I see a few of my contemporaries who have already slipped into the curmudgeon mindset. Everything is a pain in the arse for them, people are only ever annoying to them. I'm lucky in my job in that my co-workers and colleagues and are all pretty smart people (Ph.D's are the norm), but are also socially accomplished as well.
Going out for dinner with my mates and cronies can involve drunken, profanity laden anecdotes and savage piss-taking, but also prolonged and in-depth academic discussions on all manner of topics.
Not only that, but I am constantly surrounded by young people (my students) and I find them consistently invigorating. Their energy and enthusiasm is infectious. Some in my profession regard their students as a nuisance and a bore, a distraction from their (solipsistic) research. Not me. I gain valuable insights from the questions that my students pose and they keep me on my toes always.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Macdoc » Mar 11, 2016 9:36 am

Very good post and something that some here aren't quite getting .....if you are in a mixed group with various ages there is liitle sense of age other than when subjects like moon landings arise and they understand you saw that live, or bought the first Beatles record. But you are peers in your mindset and joie de vie.

You feel more experienced, in some sense wiser, the real kids - under thirties we tend to envy their energy and enthusiasm but rarely their youth.

Hell there was a 103 year old on Antiques Road Show and while body showed the ravages of time...she was sharp as a tack and thoroughly enjoying her few minutes of fame as her lovely painting of her as gorgeous 21 year old was on display.
Excellent glint in her eye and smile and laughter.

curmudgeon mindset.

Great phrase ......no age requirement as can be seen regularly on this forum. :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Exstinctum » Mar 11, 2016 6:49 pm

Macdoc wrote:Very good post and something that some here aren't quite getting .....if you are in a mixed group with various ages there is liitle sense of age other than when subjects like moon landings arise and they understand you saw that live, or bought the first Beatles record. But you are peers in your mindset and joie de vie.

You feel more experienced, in some sense wiser, the real kids - under thirties we tend to envy their energy and enthusiasm but rarely their youth.

Hell there was a 103 year old on Antiques Road Show and while body showed the ravages of time...she was sharp as a tack and thoroughly enjoying her few minutes of fame as her lovely painting of her as gorgeous 21 year old was on display.
Excellent glint in her eye and smile and laughter.

curmudgeon mindset.

Great phrase ......no age requirement as can be seen regularly on this forum. :coffee:

I'm starting to suspect that you have some kind of a fetish for the elderly. No one is saying that simply because you arrive at that age you can no longer do anything aside from sleeping in bed, napping and pooping in diapers. They are old, that's a biological fact. You trying to rephrase it or apply different terminologies doesn't change that fact. Further more, why it is a bad thing? I have not seen a single post saying that if you're above 60 you somehow become worthless and a burden. You're arguing against things that have never been said, which is annoying.
Exstinctum

Male

Latvia (lv)
Print view this post

#39  Postby laklak » Mar 11, 2016 7:02 pm

Pub culture is a great leveler, everybody at the bar, talking shit, without reference to age. I think it's a dying culture, though. Certainly is in the States, the local pub has been replaced by specialty clubs and wine bars. The days of having a pint and a natter with the neighbors is pretty much over. Shame. We do have one or two left in the area, I am known in most.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Exstinctum » Mar 11, 2016 7:09 pm

laklak wrote:Pub culture is a great leveler, everybody at the bar, talking shit, without reference to age. I think it's a dying culture, though. Certainly is in the States, the local pub has been replaced by specialty clubs and wine bars. The days of having a pint and a natter with the neighbors is pretty much over. Shame. We do have one or two left in the area, I am known in most.

That's actually a curious point. Never thought of it before, but it's the case here as well. I quite clearly can remember visiting bars as a virgin and I would see old timers around and mixed groups of folk sharing a drink. It has gotten a bit more specialized indeed, what I see these days are bars for hipsters, people who listen to metal, the sweets and places where the elderly go. I do find that to be a shame, since I quite enjoyed my time back then.
Exstinctum

Male

Latvia (lv)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities