People get happier as they approach 70, study finds

Well is at least something.

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: People get happier as they approach 70, study finds

#41  Postby don't get me started » Mar 11, 2016 11:46 pm

Yeah, pub culture is a great way to spend social time. I remember the first time I went back to the UK after I moved to Japan. I took my girlfriend with me (Japanese).
it was her first trip to Britain and on the first day in my hometown we stopped by a pub late afternoon. She was quite confused and couldn't really work out what kind of place it was....old geezer with a pint and a newspaper in the corner, couple on a date, some young guys swearing loudly in a variety of regional accents at the bar, a few guys in suits having a moan about work, some baffled French tourists waiting for some staff to come to their table to take their order...

Later on I heard that Starbucks had branded the concept as 'the third space' as if it was a genius stroke by some maverick business leader.... I've never come home from Starbucks with a hoarse voice from shouting 'Fuck off, you fucking lunatic' at one of my mate's improbable anecdotes or philosophical assertions...
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 12, 2016 11:24 am

laklak wrote:Pub culture is a great leveler, everybody at the bar, talking shit, without reference to age. I think it's a dying culture, though. Certainly is in the States, the local pub has been replaced by specialty clubs and wine bars. The days of having a pint and a natter with the neighbors is pretty much over. Shame. We do have one or two left in the area, I am known in most.

I know it sounds odd but what killed pubs (here as well and definitely in Ireland) is the smoking ban. The idea of going out for a smoke killed any conversation built up at the bar. I know all the health risks and problems but that is the main reason. Pubs these days are dead or marginally living. I dont go to my favourite watering hole anymore as no one hangs around.
My experience was exactly the same in Ireland. I used to go to a great local where the craic was great. Now it has changed hands three times and is still floundering. In the town itself almost 80% of the pubs have closed.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#43  Postby laklak » Mar 13, 2016 3:09 am

Yeah the smoking ban took its toll. There are still a couple of pubs here that allow smoking, it's legal if no food of any kind is served. Not even a pack of crisps. I can't go to them, since switching to e-cigs the smell of cigarettes makes me nauseous. I can't believe I smoked for as long as I did. I can still tolerate the occasional cigar, but don't really enjoy them like I used to.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Macdoc » Mar 13, 2016 3:41 am

In the town itself almost 80% of the pubs have closed.

But coffee houses thrive....many establishments have morphed to be cafe/bar/late night eatery ....they do best.
Think I heard more Australians now drink flat white than beer
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 13, 2016 12:14 pm

Macdoc wrote:
In the town itself almost 80% of the pubs have closed.

But coffee houses thrive....many establishments have morphed to be cafe/bar/late night eatery ....they do best.
Think I heard more Australians now drink flat white than beer

It's a man's world. :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities