Quoting in academic works

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Quoting in academic works

#1  Postby Zwaarddijk » Nov 03, 2012 1:41 pm

This is a question I've never had any use for, so never considered.

Say there's a work by author A, let's call this work W. Some edition of W, W1980, comes with an added foreword by author B. In quoting this foreword, is it considered permissible to quote it as
[...] A, W, pp. 4-5.

with
A, W, publisher, year

in the bibliography?

How necessary is it considered in Academia that the contribution of B be pointed out when using such a reference? (Otherwise, it seems anything can be attributed to anyone whose works are in the public domain: just self-publish your own edition of it and add a misleading foreword or afterword or interword.) This is such a specific question that I've never run into it. Is it considered bad practice not to note that it's a separate author? The guides to how to write out references give ambiguous or unclear answers as far as I can tell.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Quoting in academic works

#2  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Well as far as I'm aware, if you name the author of the foreword in the text itself, like so:
"B stated in the foreword to W's work..." and then cite W's work, it's permissible and sufficient.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby iamthereforeithink » Nov 03, 2012 1:47 pm

I would say its quite important to mention B in your quote, since the views you are quoting are those of the person who wrote the foreword, not those of the author of the book. Not mentioning B might lead a reader to mistakenly attribute the views to the author A.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Weaver » Nov 03, 2012 1:48 pm

The work is by A. The bibliography citation should remain A, W, pub, year - but you'd probably say in the text something like "In his forward to A's W, B wrote "...".

But B doesn't get his own citation simply for a forward - the work remains A's.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 03, 2012 1:49 pm

iamthereforeithink wrote:I would say its quite important to mention B in your quote, since the views you are quoting are those of the person who wrote the foreword, not those of the author of the book. Not mentioning B might lead a reader to mistakenly attribute the views to the author A.

Surely if you mention him as the author, by name in the text/quote itself, you do not have to mention him explicitely in the bibliography, right?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby katja z » Nov 03, 2012 1:51 pm

If I use a preface or any other material contributed by a different author, I'll credit it in the bibliography, usually by adding something like "preface and end notes by B", then when quoting, I'll say something like (B, in: A, W, pp. 4-5). If the preface is substantial and I want to make more than a passing reference to it, I'll list it as a separate entry. In any case, it should be made clear who wrote the text you're referring to.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby iamthereforeithink » Nov 03, 2012 1:55 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
iamthereforeithink wrote:I would say its quite important to mention B in your quote, since the views you are quoting are those of the person who wrote the foreword, not those of the author of the book. Not mentioning B might lead a reader to mistakenly attribute the views to the author A.

Surely if you mention him as the author, by name in the text/quote itself, you do not have to mention him explicitely in the bibliography, right?

Yes, I guess, as long as you make it clear in the text that the quoted view is not of the author of the book. Sometimes, authors might not appreciate a citation which doesn't represent their own views.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Precambrian Rabbi » Nov 03, 2012 2:04 pm

Perhaps worth distinguishing two separate purposes of referencing; to avoid plagiarism or misrepresentation by attributing ideas to their correct source and, often overlapping, to provide clear details of the location, and context, from which the quotation was taken in such a way that an interested reader could easily find it.

Katja's system works best for me because it says both "this idea is B's" and "this idea can be found in its right context in A's book W".

My long-out-of-academia layman's opinion.
"...religion may attract good people but it doesn't produce them. And it draws in a lot of hateful nutjobs too..." AronRa
Precambrian Rabbi

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Zwaarddijk » Nov 03, 2012 4:58 pm

The thing is, this isn't something I am writing, I am nitpickingly going through a work of someone else's. Thanks for the feedback. Turns out the thing does get clarified further down in the text to a sufficient degree.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities