Selective suffrage - has this been tried before?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Selective suffrage - has this been tried before?

#41  Postby jez9999 » May 23, 2011 8:26 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:It has the government it deserves because nobody does anything to change the system. Yes of course the education system will continue as it is. It supports the chattering classes. The system you are proposing is elitist which is bad and will not change anything.
Think it through. A small group will have power a very dangerous situation. Where is the control.

The control is in the fact that the group of people with the vote is determined with an objective test, not picked by those already in power.

For them they do. That is why education is so important but as you have already stated those in power are not going to change the status quo.

Probably not under the current system, no.

The answer is improvements in education and the removal of the pillars that support the lousy two-tier system.
Compulsory PR is IMHO the only system. Due to the fact it always leads to coalition governments is the controlling element that stops excesses by any one party. It also allows protest parties to have a say which would be healthy for a society.

Compulsory PR is certainly a much better system than the UK's current one. I still think it's debatable, though, as to whether letting a religious fanatic's vote have the same weight as a calm scientist's, is a good idea. I happen to think it's a bad one.

Playing god are we? That is a very large brush being used there.

Are you saying an Islamic fanatic's vote should carry the same weight as a calm scientist's? If not, is it not at least possible to try and figure out which is which and give the latter more power than the former, rather than giving up and saying it will just lead to an elite in power?

Allowing ons group to have power based on some form of selection is just pure madness.

Unfounded nonsense.

Peoples rights are written off then.

Their right to vote, if they're not in the top 20% - of course. Again, this is always assumed as an important right, maybe as important as the right to freedom of speech (not that we really have that in the UK - hah!) However I think one should seriously consider how important that right really is, rather than just taking it as a given.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#42  Postby serenity » May 23, 2011 8:37 am

jez9999 wrote:Are you saying an Islamic fanatic's vote should carry the same weight as a calm scientist's?

Yes.

But even under your Selective Suffrage an Islamic fanatic with an IQ in the top 20% would have a vote... with the same weight as a calm scientist's vote.
serenity

Print view this post

#43  Postby jez9999 » May 23, 2011 9:00 am

serenity wrote:By action of the Law of Unintended Consequences, your suggestion for Selective Suffrage by IQ is also Selective Suffrage by Social Class, despite your assertion that money doesn’t make a difference to intelligence – or is it that intelligence doesn’t make a difference to income? Is that what you would like to see?

It looks like intelligence makes a difference to income. In an ideal world, this wouldn't be biased by someone's social status at birth, and everyone would have equal opportunity. Even so, it looks like more intelligent people just tend to go into different professions than less intelligent people, which is exactly what I'd expect. In fact if they didn't, it'd be a huge waste of talent.

jez9999 wrote: I think the top 20% making the decisions would make for a much better decision-making process, so the politicians didn't have to pander to the tabloid press.

Have you assumed that the newspapers read by the upper social classes; such as The Daily Telegraph, The Independent and The Guardian; do not also push a biased agenda that politicians pander to, in their political reporting?

Not to make too sweeping a generalization, The Telegraph is probably read by people who think they're intelligent, but are really just conservative and privileged. Under my system, they'd lose power unless they could put up or shut up in terms of actual intelligence.

In general, I don't think these rags are as biased or populist or downright idiotic as The Sun, The Daily Mail, or The Express. Frankly. I'd cut the last lot out of the decision making process in a second, and so should anyone who wants good governance.

jez9999 wrote: The 'hardcoding' of the test into a constitution should prevent totalitarianism. Nobody could ever reduce the ruling class to a small elite; it must remain at something like 1/5 of the population.

“Hardcoding into a constitution” will never stop a determined politician from overturning the whole of the constitution. A politician elected to serve the minority (your top 20%) of a population – oh, just call Godwin on me now, you know where that line of argument ends up…

I dunno... if you also added that when a politician tried to change the content of the test, it was the people's duty to raise up in armed revolution against them personally (military and police included), they would be terrified of changing it; as it should be.

jez9999 wrote: if one's defining fairness as being an equal voice for everyone, regardless of intelligence, why is that automatically a good thing? Indeed, you quite often hear people celebrating various groups' lack of representation - prisoners, the BNP, communists, etc. It's done openly in parliament.

Does a parliamentarian concerned with self-interest celebrating the lack of representation amongst various groups make disenfranchisement of certain groups of people "right", then?

Not in itself, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was trying to point out that people who claim to support universal suffrage at the moment are generally hypocrites who simultaneously celebrate (say) BNP voters' lack of representation.

People vote on the information they have – if they do not have enough information, they may well not have the knowledge that they are lacking information (I know what I know, I don’t know what I don’t know).

They vote on self-interest – but their view of what is in their interest and their view of what the situtation really is are often dissonant.

Intelligent people should at least be able to be certain when they *don't* have enough information, even if they can't be certain that they do. That in itself is a step up. You have people right now voting on gut instinct, or (barf) who their dad/granddad traditionally voted for.

Your selective suffrage idea has already been explored in fiction, and taken to its ultimate limit. In 1956, Isaac Asimov wrote "Franchise," a story about a future in which one voter decides elections. Every four years, one voter is picked to be hooked up to a computer called "Multivac." After hours of questions and analysis, the computer uses the person's responses to determine election winners.

Please explain to me how this is taking my idea to its ultimate limit.

jez9999 wrote: I don't agree with everything the UN says; they think banning cannabis is a good idea.
[…]
We still have a population in the UK who are too stupid to vote for a small improvement in the electoral system. We still have a population who, by and large, put up with a government who have Victorian attitudes to drugs and euthanasia. We still have a population who aren't really that serious about enacting green policies to prevent manmade climate change. We still have a population who see no real problem in an unelected House of Lords, containing people who are there because their faith in an invisible friend is strong.

OK. So your chosen attitudes to drug use, the electoral system, euthanasia, AGW and religion are, by your implicit and explicit assertions, the intelligent, the not stupid, choices.

Perhaps you might like to find out the social class (and hence the IQ) of those who are the church-goers, the proponents of pro-Life policies, the anti-drug (alcohol and nicotine as well as the illegal ones) campaigners, the arguers for more rigorous and transparent GW science, those who did not vote for AV because the real goal is PR…

Your Suffrage by IQ is Suffrage by Social Class – you would do well to find out the policies held by the higher social classes before assuming that your proposal would result in “better” policies. These are the people who have reached their level of satisfaction, who have had choices in their education and their careers, who like their level of social stability.

They tend to be the groups of people who can afford to make mitigating choices if a political policy is not to their liking.

Well, I think your assertions are as unfounded as mine. I suspect that people who are churchgoers are less intelligent (not UNintelligent, but not at the top either), for example. This guy comes across as very intelligent to me, and despite religious indoctrination as a child, he managed to outgrow it because his own mind refused to accept the incongruities.

serenity wrote:
jez9999 wrote:Are you saying an Islamic fanatic's vote should carry the same weight as a calm scientist's?

Yes.

But even under your Selective Suffrage an Islamic fanatic with an IQ in the top 20% would have a vote... with the same weight as a calm scientist's vote.

Islamic extremists may be well-educated, but I'd be very interested if many of them fall into the top 20% in sheer intelligence. At some point I'd expect them to be able to realize their beliefs were so utterly unfounded in evidence that they had to reject them.
Last edited by jez9999 on May 23, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#44  Postby serenity » May 23, 2011 9:55 am

Quick reply reserving my right etc etc...

jez9999 wrote:I suspect that people who are churchgoers are less intelligent (not UNintelligent, but not at the top either), for example.

I deliberately wrote church-goers, not believers.
Last edited by serenity on May 23, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
serenity

Print view this post

#45  Postby jez9999 » May 23, 2011 9:59 am

Heh. How many people in this country still feel the obligation to go to church if they're not believers, nowadays? There's no coercion anymore... in Christianity.

Anyway, if they're just going to church knowingly for the social aspect, I'm not so worried about their grasp on reason.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#46  Postby serenity » May 23, 2011 10:02 am

I also submit a correction:
I note that I was wrong about the newspaper readership - the Daily Mail is read by more ABC1 readers than any other UK newspaper.

Now there's a thought to wrestle with...
serenity

Print view this post

#47  Postby jez9999 » May 23, 2011 10:26 am

Never mind ABC1 readers, what about AB readers? That's more representative of the top 20%.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#48  Postby Doubtdispelled » May 23, 2011 10:49 am

serenity wrote:I also submit a correction:
I note that I was wrong about the newspaper readership - the Daily Mail is read by more ABC1 readers than any other UK newspaper.

Now there's a very scary thought to wrestle with...

FIFY. ;)
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#49  Postby serenity » May 23, 2011 1:07 pm

jez9999 wrote:Never mind ABC1 readers, what about AB readers? That's more representative of the top 20%.

How high an IQ do you think this "top 20% by IQ" represents?

The 80th percentile begins at about an IQ of 112. That means your 20% covers people who would never have got into grammar schools (an IQ of about 120, the 90th percentile, was / is the norm), the people who fill the positions of supervisors (not managers) in factories, salesmen including telemarketers, clerical workers, electricians, the police.

Which newspaper are they most likely to read? How are they most likely to vote?
serenity

Print view this post

#50  Postby jez9999 » May 23, 2011 1:31 pm

You tell me.

I don't know about that grammar schools figure, by the way. In my class probably 1/4 went to grammar school. If fewer are going, there aren't enough grammar schools. Grammar schools aren't *that* elitist by nature.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#51  Postby rJD » May 23, 2011 1:36 pm

jez9999 wrote:General intelligence is one of the few things I think you could come up with a good objective test for, which wouldn't be politically biased, and which wouldn't need to be changed ever.

Along with all the other good objections raised, it needs to be pointed out that there is no such thing as an "objective" IQ test. All such tests have inbuilt cultural biases, and performance on them improve with practice, which means people with means would be able to outperform those without, regardless of "innate intelligence" (whatever that might be, since psychologists still haven't actually decided what it is that IQ tests measure).

This idea is not even workable in theory, never mind in practice.
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

rJD
RS Donator

Name: John
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#52  Postby jez9999 » May 23, 2011 1:41 pm

Maybe the people who went to the effort of practicing them should have more say in decision making. It is a nice side effect that it eliminates the lazy vote.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#53  Postby rainbow » May 23, 2011 1:41 pm

jez9999 wrote:Is this idea viable?

Certainly it is a viable idea, but then so is the idea of taking Elitists against a wall and shooting them.
Kill the Wise One!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155419

"Það er ekki til betri tími en núna til að fresta"
rainbow
Banned User

Name: Señor Moderato

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#54  Postby NineOneFour » May 23, 2011 1:43 pm

jez9999 wrote:Churchill said 'it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.' I agree with that statement, thus far. But how about a new one that I don't think has been tried? Selective suffrage.

Only the top 20% most intelligent would be allowed to vote. There would need to be an objective test like an IQ test to measure intelligence, which didn't favour a particular race or gender. Sure, it would favour language proficiency and quality of education, perhaps, but I think it's good that those who are better in those areas would have an advantage here; I want my country to be run by the best. This test would need to stand the test of time, as it should never need to be updated (except very occasionally, to change an old word to a modern one, perhaps). Because it would never need to be updated and would be 'hardcoded' into a constitution, it would be immute to bias via political interference. Its questions would also need to be generated randomly, of course, so people couldn't learn the answers. What would be hardcoded would be the algorithms to generate the questions.

Is this idea viable? I think the top 20% (or maybe another smaller/larger threshold) making the decisions would make for a much better decision-making process, so the politicians didn't have to pander to the tabloid press. Of course getting an already-democratic voting populace to accept this would be near-impossible, so you'd need to be an Ataturk-like figure with a blank page to create a new system; maybe like certain people in newly-forming North African democracies? I'd be happy to put my money where my mouth is, too. If I'm not in the top quintile, I don't get a vote, but I can still lobby the more intelligent to do stuff for me. They just get to reject it if it's a stupid idea.

Ah, and how would you get everyone to take the intelligence test? Simple - you wouldn't. People would have to want to do it to be able to vote. This has a nice side-effect of eliminating apathetic voters who have just enough energy to get off their ass and vote for who some demagogue tells them to.

:picard:
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#55  Postby jez9999 » May 23, 2011 1:43 pm

rainbow wrote:

Certainly it is a viable idea, but then so is the idea of taking Elitists against a wall and shooting them.

Ah, do I hear the voice of Lord Prescott?
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#56  Postby NineOneFour » May 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Grimstad wrote:Think long and hard about this folks. EVERY person has a right to vote. If they choose to not exercise it, that is their choice. I'm actually coming around to the Aussie way of doing it. It's not just a right, it's an obligation.

:this:

Bear in mind, people, just because people are intelligent, doesn't mean they can't be led astray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven%27s ... ious_group)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aum_Shinrikyo
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#57  Postby rainbow » May 23, 2011 1:48 pm

jez9999 wrote:
rainbow wrote:

Ah, do I hear the voice of Lord Prescott?

Good Lord!
Not this time :smug:
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#58  Postby NineOneFour » May 23, 2011 1:50 pm

People who are stupid should not vote.

People who are poor should not vote.

People who are Jewish should not vote.

People who are (fill in the blank) should not vote.

All of the above are horrid, wretched, and repugnant ideals.
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#59  Postby rainbow » May 23, 2011 1:55 pm

NineOneFour wrote:People who are stupid should not vote.

People who are poor should not vote.

People who are Jewish should not vote.

People who are (fill in the blank) should not vote.

All of the above are horrid, wretched, and repugnant ideals.

Quite.
In fact anybody who doesn't agree with me shouldn't vote.
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#60  Postby jez9999 » May 23, 2011 2:29 pm

Actually, 'People who are stupid should not vote' seems like a bloody good ideal to me. The reason you probably react instinctively against it is because you're thinking it wouldn't be possible to enforce in practice, but in theory, I don't see what's bad about it.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities