Sex Differences and FWB relationships

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Sex Differences and FWB relationships

#1  Postby ymitchell » Jun 19, 2010 12:38 pm

“This research explored differences in how men and women approach “friends with benefits” (FWB) relationships. Specifically, this study examined sex differences in reasons for beginning such involvements, commitment to the friendship versus sexual aspects of the relationship, and partners’ anticipated hopes for the future. blogs.discovermagazine.com
ymitchell
Banned User

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Sex Differences and FWB relationships

#2  Postby pearlgirl » Jun 19, 2010 12:51 pm

...I should look into getting a FWB but I do not think my boyfriend will be too keen about that. :lol:

In all seriousness, however, why have one in the first place? I don't get it....maybe it is because I am scared of getting the evil virus HIV, STDs, etc. Interesting article, by the way...
pearlgirl

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby mmmcheezy » Jun 19, 2010 12:57 pm

pearlgirl wrote:...I should look into getting a FWB but I do not think my boyfriend will be too keen about that. :lol:

In all seriousness, however, why have one in the first place? I don't get it....maybe it is because I am scared of getting the evil virus HIV, STDs, etc. Interesting article, by the way...

FWB tends to keep that information in mind. Most FWB relationships are casual sex relationships, but with one partner. All the sex, none of the emotional entanglements. And since it's with typically one partner, it's easier to keep the issue with STDs under control--getting tested, always using protection, etc.
I don't, and have never, had a FWB, but I get the idea behind it.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby galt » Jun 19, 2010 4:41 pm

mmmcheezy wrote:
pearlgirl wrote:...I should look into getting a FWB but I do not think my boyfriend will be too keen about that. :lol:

FWB tends to keep that information in mind. Most FWB relationships are casual sex relationships, but with one partner. All the sex, none of the emotional entanglements. And since it's with typically one partner, it's easier to keep the issue with STDs under control--getting tested, always using protection, etc.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but is that ever *really* possible?

I've heard several times that, more often than not, these "casual sex relationships" see one of the people involved developing an emotional attachment - even if the two (or more) people involved originally set out a "no strings" plan.

Nonsense, if you ask me.
galt

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby mmmcheezy » Jun 19, 2010 4:48 pm

galt wrote:
mmmcheezy wrote:

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but is that ever *really* possible?

I've heard several times that, more often than not, these "casual sex relationships" see one of the people involved developing an emotional attachment - even if the two (or more) people involved originally set out a "no strings" plan.

Nonsense, if you ask me.

It's possible, but pretty rare I'm sure. I've heard a lot of horror stories about heartbreak, so that's not a "wrong" question.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Delvo » Jun 19, 2010 4:57 pm

The question is really not whether it's possible, but whether one can choose to do it. I know of no other situation in which anybody would claim to be able to chose how to feel.
Delvo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby tuco » Jun 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Unexpectedly, both men and women were more committed to the friendship than to the sexual aspect of the relationship.

Can verify, despite I do not believe in friendships between heterosexual men and heterosexual women where at least one of them is not, consciously or not, attracted to the other sexually. It can happen, but it is rare.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby tactik » Jun 25, 2010 4:43 am

tuco wrote:
Unexpectedly, both men and women were more committed to the friendship than to the sexual aspect of the relationship.

Can verify, despite I do not believe in friendships between heterosexual men and heterosexual women where at least one of them is not, consciously or not, attracted to the other sexually. It can happen, but it is rare.

Not sure if I'm misreading this.. are you saying that friendships - in general - are always based on some, possibly hidden, sexual attraction.. ?

I must disagree - first on the basis that you are arbitrarily omitting friendships with those of the same sex... which leads into the idea that if you can have a completely non-sexual friendship with someone of the same sex, then you can obviously have a completely non-sexual friendship with anyone.

Although it does say something interesting about your friendships with the opposite sex... :whistle:
(joke)
tactik

Print view this post

#9  Postby Aca » Jun 25, 2010 9:59 am

Harry,

tuco wrote:

meet Sally

tactik wrote:
Not sure if I'm misreading this.. are you saying that friendships - in general - are always based on some, possibly hidden, sexual attraction.. ?

I must disagree....

:grin:
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Bolero » Jun 30, 2010 2:45 am

I've enjoyed a FWB arrangement or two in the past, but it's my experience that (as mentioned in the OP) men and women do approach it differently. My feeling on the matter has always been to approach it "like a man" - for want of a better expression. Having a high sex drive helps a lot.

I don't know about choosing whether or not to feel something emotionally - I think that's a bit bollocks. If you start to feel those emotional attachments, you really should pull the plug on the sex (unless it's reciprocated), or you could do yourself some emotional/self esteem damage.
"You live with apes, man: it's hard to be clean." Marilyn Manson
Bolero

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities