Sexism in surfing

Sexism in surfing

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Sexism in surfing

#1  Postby TMB » Apr 17, 2016 11:20 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-15/f ... rt/7329932

This is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. I have never heard of anything so blatantly sexist in all my life. Not only should women surfers be paid the same amount as the men, they should be paid more than the men, because at the end of the day they are better surfers than the men. Its women surfers who are leading the way, looking for and surfing giant waves, making surfboards, breaking new ground and men come along once everything is in place and think they can get it handed them on a plate. I say enough.

We see the same sexism in tennis, Serena Williams is a way, way better player than the likes of Djokovic or Federer, she is very obviously the greatest athlete of all time and could probably beat them both at the same time. In fact, Federer would be lucky to beat the world number 200th woman seed. Just as we see across all sports and athletics women are clearly better than the men, faster, stronger, but because men are just so damn needy they need to have their own protected events. Look at the shoddy sprint performances put in by Usain Bolt, what a bloody joke, clearly women sprinters are far faster than he is, yet he gets rewarded with gold medals? If he had to compete with women, he would not even make a women’s college track team. His sub-standard performance shouldn’t get a wooden medal from me. The number 50 woman sprinter gets nothing why should Usain Bolt? Just because he is a man?

What is the matter men, can’t take the heat of open competition? Still need to have your own sexist events that exclude women? Well I damn well think its time women stopped being Miz Nice Person and cut to the crux of the issue, and its really, really simple. Do away with separate events for men and women, and just have an event for the best singles tennis player, or 100m sprinter, or surfer and then we will see all events dominated by women and get their rightful awards. If men are not satisfied at the moment even to share their winnings equally with women, having a single non-sexist event will really hit men where it hurts most. In their ego and pockets, and see how much they like it when they are eliminated from all events because women are just faster, stronger, and overall better athletes and better at all sports.

As for the even more ridiculous idea of women being sexist objects in sport. What a stupid, stupid notion. Who the hell finds women sexy? And why? Because they have lumps of fat stuck on their chests with a little berry on the top. How weird would that be? Next they will say that women actually want hairless legs and armpits, and dislike their own body odour. Or that they are so shallow that they actually like shoes, clothes and the stuff they put on their hair – what a crock, why would anybody give a shit about such trivial stuff. Next thing they will say women also like white weddings and have a biological clock and are somehow different to men when it comes to sex. That useless man Darwin with his stupid theory is probably responsible for that myth. All that stuff is men’s fault, all of it. They are responsible for all that shit, and it needs to stopped. Maybe once all the men have been eliminated from all sport and athletics they will have more time on their hands and will stop behaving as if there is anything remotely sexy about women.

I for one, cannot wait for the day that merit is the sole criteria by which we judge sports and athletics and there are gender blind events, and women take their rightful place alone on the podium without any men in sight. What a day that will be. How will men deal with this?

This whole topic makes me really upset, in fact so upset that I cannot finish writing this artic.
TMB

Print view this post

Re: Sexism in surfing

#2  Postby tuco » Apr 17, 2016 11:41 am

"And you know, seeing certain girls that would rock up at events with their g-strings pulled very high up their bum and getting paid a lot of money basically just to do that, and then they lose in their first heat."

Where are such events? :) Over here we get only beach volleyball on artificial beach.

She said she felt pressured to wear a bikini on the pro tour to retain sponsorship and continue surfing professionally.

"I didn't particularly feel like I wanted to get naked to become more famous," she said.

"It's pretty challenging surfing in a bikini in the water, too. You lose them and your bums out and it's frustrating and you just want some boardies on sometimes.

"But if that's your pay packet and if you want to go to certain events, you'll put a bikini on because your dream is to win a world title."

Well, that sucks for you but what you gonna do? Go with the flow or against. Crying does not seem to help much.

edits: She should appeal to women imo, to become audience, rather than to complain about men who want to see bums. Where are the women in audience and what they want to see?

"Girls that kick arse should be getting paid rather than girls that show their arse," she said.

Who will pay for this? Cant make people to pay for something they do not want to pay for. The only other way is to get rid of free market and have equal pay based on physics where rate of doing work is energy over time.
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby Evolving » Apr 17, 2016 12:45 pm

The bottom's fallen out of the G-string market.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Hobbes Choice » Apr 17, 2016 12:51 pm

Surfing is a wholly unproductive activity and should attract no payment whatever.
Since it does attract money, from those who wish to pay it; anything they do get has to be seen a unrelated to any meaningful economic measure.
Hobbes Choice
Banned User

Name: Arthur Noni Mauss

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 17, 2016 1:46 pm

TMB wrote:We see the same sexism in tennis, Serena Williams is a way, way better player than the likes of Djokovic or Federer, she is very obviously the greatest athlete of all time and could probably beat them both at the same time.

I dont think so:

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/tennis/men-v-women.htm

Karsten Braasch (WHO?) v the Williams Sisters

During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."

Remember all those games were only the best of three.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby TMB » Apr 17, 2016 1:58 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
TMB wrote:We see the same sexism in tennis, Serena Williams is a way, way better player than the likes of Djokovic or Federer, she is very obviously the greatest athlete of all time and could probably beat them both at the same time.

I dont think so:

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/tennis/men-v-women.htm

Karsten Braasch (WHO?) v the Williams Sisters

During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."

Remember all those games were only the best of three.

Read my post again and ask yourself the question - does the writer really mean what he says or is he highlighting the reverse?
TMB

Print view this post

#7  Postby tuco » Apr 17, 2016 2:02 pm

I made the same mistake of not thinking it through adequately but had chance to edit :)

What I find interesting that people in business of exhibiting themselves complain that the audience does not like what they are exhibiting and/or insist on certain ways of exhibition.
tuco

Print view this post

#8  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 17, 2016 2:42 pm

TMB's back to create a thread complaining about women? I never would have guessed!
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby tuco » Apr 17, 2016 3:01 pm

To be fair, this seems to be complaint about complainers. How do they dare.. !? Well, its their right to dare, so its TMB's right re-dare :)

I bet that if those who are bothered by this played chess, for example, they would not have the problem mentioned. What kind of people go to watch surfing? You know ..
tuco

Print view this post

#10  Postby laklak » Apr 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Hobbes nailed it. I'll go further, though. ALL athletic endeavors are wholly unproductive activities. Baseball, football (both kinds), rugby, cricket, hockey, hurling, curling, competitive tiddlywinks, all of it. As are theater, music, cinema, and the Kardashians. They are "worth", if that's the correct word, exactly what other people will pay for it. If people are more interested in male surfers or tennis players or actors then they will attract more money from both the public and sponsors. If that's the case then it sucks to be a female in those fields, but it doesn't rise to any sort of actionable social inequality. Personally I don't give a shit how much money any of them make, and don't care what their achievements are, it has zero interest to me. Consequently I can't get all riled up and bothered over some perceived unfairness in the utterly absurd amounts of money they make.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Evolving » Apr 17, 2016 5:12 pm

The people who are "interested" in surfers don't give their money directly to the surfers: they give it to the organisers of the competitions, and they in turn pay the surfers as much as the latter can negotiate out of them.

In a recent public discussion about pay in Hollywood it was mooted that male actors are better at negotiating their packages than female ones. Perhaps that is true, and perhaps it's true of surfers too. Now here are some female surfers trying to negotiate a bit more forcefully on behalf of female surfers generally.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Evolving » Apr 17, 2016 5:15 pm

Come on, people, somebody "like" my hilarious joke further up the page. (Even if it's not actually my joke.)
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Boyle » Apr 17, 2016 5:18 pm

Evolving wrote:The people who are "interested" in surfers don't give their money directly to the surfers: they give it to the organisers of the competitions, and they in turn pay the surfers as much as the latter can negotiate out of them.

In a recent public discussion about pay in Hollywood it was mooted that male actors are better at negotiating their packages than female ones. Perhaps that is true, and perhaps it's true of surfers too. Now here are some female surfers trying to negotiate a bit more forcefully on behalf of female surfers generally.

Yeah but now it's unfair tho.
Boyle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby tuco » Apr 17, 2016 5:33 pm

Not all men .. lol

I am not very good at negotiating, who's gonna help me?
tuco

Print view this post

#15  Postby Doubtdispelled » Apr 17, 2016 9:34 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:TMB's back to create a thread complaining about women? I never would have guessed!

I genuinely feel sorry for his daughters. True story, dat.
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#16  Postby TMB » Apr 17, 2016 11:54 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:TMB's back to create a thread complaining about women? I never would have guessed!

Guessing beats rational inquiry every time?
TMB

Print view this post

#17  Postby TMB » Apr 17, 2016 11:58 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:

Instead of attacking the person you might argue the topic, however this is where the female surfing argument comes unstuck as well, and doing it that way is guaranteed to lose. Still what else can you do when there is no logical position to support your point?
TMB

Print view this post

#18  Postby tuco » Apr 18, 2016 12:13 am

Cmon .. this is all predictable. According to my observation women in the West are themselves to blame. Or maybe not, maybe its ok to sell own bums. I'll pay for it.
tuco

Print view this post

#19  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 18, 2016 5:31 am

Doubtdispelled wrote:

He has daughters? Fuuuuuuck.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 18, 2016 6:28 am

TMB wrote:

Guessing beats rational inquiry every time?

Given that you seem to think appeals to random anecdotes constitutes evidence, you're in no position to judge.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities