Skepticism: Link to Emotional Trauma in the Early Years?

Can emotional trauma in childhood be a factor leading to skepticism in adulthood?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Skepticism: Link to Emotional Trauma in the Early Years?

#481  Postby Bubalus » Jan 26, 2015 10:46 am

Greyman wrote:Snip....

Finally, promising that some indeterminate time in the future to destroy humanity in yet another massive murder fest (see: Revelation) and start again with a new, perfect world. (Again, why not do that the first time?)

Given his record so far I wouldn't trust him to build a Legoworld :lol:

Edit: corrected Would to wouldn't
Last edited by Bubalus on Jan 26, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” -Stephen Hawking‏
Bubalus

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#482  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 26, 2015 12:09 pm

Bubalus wrote:

Finally, promising that some indeterminate time in the future to destroy humanity in yet another massive murder fest (see: Revelation) and start again with a new, perfect world. (Again, why not do that the first time?)

Given his record so far I would trust him to build a Legoworld :lol:

Someone's beaten you to this. See: The Brick Testament ... :mrgreen:

In particular, enjoy the hilarity that is Revelation ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#483  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 26, 2015 12:15 pm

- CONTENT NOTICE -
The Bible contains material some may consider morally objectionable and/or inappropriate for children. These labels identify stories containing:

N = nudity S = sexual content V = violence C = cursing

:lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#484  Postby Nebogipfel » Jan 26, 2015 12:46 pm

Some actual scientists discuss the origin of the universe and the origin of life, and whether goddidit is a reasonable explaination for either: (spoiler alert: they don't think it is :mrgreen: ).

No, Astrobiology Has Not Made the Case for God
Does the Universe Need God?

The first one was a respose to a non-scientist opining that Science Increasingly Makes the Case for God

Found via Jerry Coyne's blog
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#485  Postby Bubalus » Jan 26, 2015 1:09 pm

Calilasseia wrote:
Bubalus wrote:

Given his record so far I would trust him to build a Legoworld :lol:

Someone's beaten you to this. See: The Brick Testament ... :mrgreen:

In particular, enjoy the hilarity that is Revelation ...

Thanks.

I never realized that the 144,000 to go to heaven (a la JHs) were all male virgins - perhaps they are the ones lined up for the martyrs for Mohammed? :lol:
http://www.thebricktestament.com/revelation/remaining_humans_doomed_to_torture/rv14_04.html
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” -Stephen Hawking‏
Bubalus

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#486  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 26, 2015 1:28 pm

Oh that's one of the less delightful aspects of Revelation that the likes of the JWs and the Rapture Retards ignore. They all think they're going to be the ones that are magically beamed up to Magic Man's theme park in the sky, but, oops, Revelation says that the manifest for the magic transporter room consists of 144,000 male Jewish virgins. Which almost certainly means that said manifest is going to be heavily skewed toward the under-10s demographic in addition.

I also note with interest how these individuals are described as "not having defiled themselves with women", as if women were some sort of contaigon-riddled cesspit. Nice piece of misogyny there. Makes you wonder why Magic Man arranged for there to be so much pussy around if he hates it so much, doesn't it? Though of course the men don't fare that much better in one important, and potentially painful respect - apparently, Magic Man, despite providing us all with one at birth, hates foreskins, and wants us all to chop them off at the earliest possible moment.

There really is something truly twisted, about equipping organisms with an overwhelmingly powerful urge to fuck like bunnies, then telling said organisms, after dispensing this trait thereto, that said powerful urge is purportedly "dirty" and "sinful". It's almost as if Magic Man takes some sort of warped delight from fucking with our heads.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#487  Postby redwhine » Feb 01, 2015 8:16 am

"Last visited:Jan 23, 2015 9:33 pm"

:ask:

Did we 'break' Carl, or should we prepare ourselves for a resurrection? :?
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#488  Postby Fallible » Feb 01, 2015 9:12 am

As I pointed out, this is his pattern. He comes, has a big dump on the forum, watches us clear it up, disappears for some time then reappears to take an almost identical dump.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#489  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 01, 2015 9:23 am

That is true of almost all theists. Many use the multi-thread trick. Make a big dump on three threads.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#490  Postby Ironclad » Feb 02, 2015 11:25 pm

!
MODNOTE
Carl, the below quoted posts that you made contain preaching:

[Reveal] Spoiler: your reported posts, relevant sections in bold red font
carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
carl wrote:A 'good' God is not discounted simply based on a 'bad' world:

1) After God created everything, His Creation was 'very good': "God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day." (Genesis 1).

2) That 'very good' Creation became tainted by mankind's sin: "Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it; all the days of your life; It will produce thorns and thistles for you...and to dust you will return.” (Genesis 3). Death and suffering are introduced by mankind's sin.

The above explains how a 'good God' created a 'very good' world which soon became filled with violence because of mankind's sinfulness. This process of degradation continues today, via the sins and hurtful acts of modern humans (everybody today).

This is in direct contradiction to the OT:
Ezekiel 18:20
The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

People cannot be responsible fir ech others sins carl.
So how can infants be punished with illness, hardship and death?

ok, so are you thinking the Bible is showing that suffering today is punishment for the sin of Adam and Eve?

People cannot be responsible for the sins of others, fully agreed by myself AND the Bible.

General question not directed at anyone: Have you ever hurt anyone? That was your sin - with hurtful consequences on the innocent party. The innocent party is NOT responsible, but suffers nonetheless.

God will right this wrong on Judgment Day IN THE FUTURE; the Bible never claims that heaven is here now.

Rev 21: Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’[b] or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!”

Note: This is A FUTURE EVENT.

carl wrote:
Nebogipfel wrote:
carl wrote:
BTW, will those studies actually claiming to confirm the origin of the universe (as if !) contain the words: "possibly", "maybe", "we propose", "it seems likely", "could", "should", "might", "in all likelihood", "theorize", etc.. ?

I doubt if any study will authoritatively claim to confirm the origins of the universe. We leave the delusions of 100% certainty to religion.

We need to discern what is speculative and what is confirmative.

We can and we do. It's called science. You should learn about it.

We ought never to confuse true science with speculation. For example, to put modern medicine alongside the theory of abiogenesis is very deceiving. It is a deceitful practice of many skeptics and atheists on the internet.

This is what happens when we are overly impresses with those who have PhDs in some field of pseudoscience (not science) when they discuss their theory of abiogenesis, theory of evolution, theory of cosmology, theory of......

Unfortunately, what we don't understand is that immense topics such as the origin of the universe or the origin of life are out of our reach to scientifically confirm, leaving us with speculation about that which occurred in ancient history. There is no way to apply the scientific method - or any other scientific method - to confirm such theories, leaving us with the dubious position of placing our faith in those whom we listen to, with their grand theories and presuppositions.

This is why Jesus said: "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

The level of our education has nothing to do with the condition of our heart. We can have ten PhDs but if we're bent away from God, we're on the road to destruction, as well as those who foolishly listen to them.

NO faulty HUMAN BEING will ever be able to tell us, with CERTAINTY, the origins of our universe or origin of life, through ANY technology.

If they try to tell us so, they are not a braniac but a megalomaniac. It should never cease to amaze us how much stretching of the truth, exaggeration, and extravagance of the claims we see in the media today. Every pseudoscientist wants to be in the limelight, and there are throngs of armchair science-fiction fans out there to satisfy their ridiculous egos.

Megalomania:
1. A psychopathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence.
2. An obsession with grandiose or extravagant things or actions.

Habakkuk 2
See, he is puffed up; his desires are not upright--but the righteous will live by his faith.

Psalm 10: The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God...

1 Timothy
Avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science, falsely so called...

"Where are we when presented with the mystery of life? We find ourselves facing a granite wall which we have not even chipped . . We know virtually nothing of growth, nothing of life."—W. Kaempffert.

Preaching is not allowed, as is spelled out in our Forum User's Agreement, paragraph 1.5, to which you agreed when you joined our forum.

[Reveal] Spoiler: relevant section of the Forum User's Agreement
Members of rationalskepticism.org agree to:

1.5. not engage in theistic preaching, proselytising and/or witnessing either on the forum or via PM. If you are a theist you are freely permitted to discuss religion and your religious faith but you may not purposely harass or pressure other members to convert or to accept the ‘truth’ of your theistic beliefs and/or doctrine. In particular you may not overtly or covertly imply that other members are sinners or that they are likely to experience religious or other supernatural consequences for their thoughts, words, or actions.

Accordingly, I am awarding you a warning for preaching. This is your 2nd active warning.

Ironclad

Do not discuss this modnote or moderation in this thread as it is off-topic. If you need clarification or want to appeal this decision, please PM me or a senior moderator.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#491  Postby carl » Feb 03, 2015 1:59 am

Sorry guys and gals - I've been just so very busy these past few weeks and will continue to be so for at least another month. I am currently working a lot of overtime - had to be at work at 7am this past Sunday, lol! As a very brief overview, I work at a health care facility where we are implementing electronic charting - a real boon if you want to be able to interface with other facilities, have patient histories readily available, etc. etc. The problem is that the software is just a monstrosity and the learning curve, well, for someone like me, seems steep and bumpy. For example, I seem to have electronically ordered the same antibiotic three times - on the same patient. Good thing I wrote the prescription out manually, once, and handed it to the patient, lol! (some things seem to be best done by hand!) I should be able to cancel the extra orders but don't seem to be able to. Called 3 different IT folks and none of them know how to cancel. Stuff like that.

Anyway, I apologize to you all and ask for your patience while this whole electronic charting thing works its way through over the next month.
carl

Name: carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#492  Postby redwhine » Feb 03, 2015 4:51 am

carl wrote:I am currently working a lot of overtime - had to be at work at 7am this past Sunday, lol!

Exodus wrote:20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

carl wrote:Anyway, I apologize to you all and ask for your patience while this whole electronic charting thing works its way through over the next month.

Matthew wrote:6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

:roll:
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#493  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 03, 2015 2:24 pm

On a tangential note, I'm minded to note that amongst the phrases most dreaded by programmers these days are:

[1] "It has to be standards compliant ... and work in Internet Explorer"

[2] "Responsive"

[3] "Healthcare IT"

[4] "Can you do it in VB.Net?"
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#494  Postby BlackBart » Feb 03, 2015 2:29 pm

Calilasseia wrote:On a tangential note, I'm minded to note that amongst the phrases most dreaded by programmers these days are:

[2] "Responsive"

[3] "Healthcare IT"

[5] "We want it by next Tuesday"
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#495  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 03, 2015 2:42 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:On a tangential note, I'm minded to note that amongst the phrases most dreaded by programmers these days are:

[2] "Responsive"

[3] "Healthcare IT"

[5] "We want it by next Tuesday"

Only next Tuesday not yesterday.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#496  Postby BlackBart » Feb 03, 2015 2:51 pm

I've literally been asked on a Thursday afternoon to deliver a bespoke automated ordering system by Tuesday, because they wanted it live on the Wednesday.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#497  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 04, 2015 6:45 am

BlackBart wrote:I've literally been asked on a Thursday afternoon to deliver a bespoke automated ordering system by Tuesday, because they wanted it live on the Wednesday.

Marvellous! Yep par for the course. It is great being retired.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities