Stanford geneticist: Human intelligence is declining

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Stanford geneticist: Human intelligence is declining

#1  Postby the_5th_ape » Feb 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Ever can’t help but think you’re surrounded by idiots? A leading scientist at Stanford University thinks he has the answer, and the bad news is things aren’t likely to get any better.

Dr. Gerald Crabtree, a geneticist at Stanford, has published a study that he conducted to try and identify the progression of modern man’s intelligence. As it turns out, however, Dr. Crabtree’s research led him to believe that the collective mind of mankind has been on more or a less a downhill trajectory for quite some time. According to his research...
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

Re: Stanford geneticist: Human intelligence is declining

#2  Postby Shrunk » Feb 20, 2013 6:23 pm

"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Biowatch » May 01, 2013 2:33 am

The Guardian article cites the Flynn Effect, but Professor Flynn himself acknowledges that the current trend is for the smartest women to have the least children & that inevitably will lead to the population becoming less intelligent.

An internationally recognised expert on intelligence warns New Zealand children could get dumber in three or four generations unless women with higher education started producing more babies.

Otago University emeritus professor Dr Jim Flynn was commenting on census figures that show mothers without a higher education were the anchor of New Zealand's current fertility rate.

"Everyone knows if we only allowed short people to reproduce there would be a tendency in terms of genes for height to diminish. Intelligence is no different from other human traits," he told the Sunday Star-Times.

"A persistent genetic trend which lowered the genetic quality for brain physiology would have some effect eventually."

Statistics show women without tertiary qualifications who had reached their early 40s had produced 2.57 babies each.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10450313

Crabtree is incorrect though to suggest that people 5000 years ago would have been smarter. The trend up till the Industrial Revolution was actually for the most able to have the most children.

http://infoproc.blogspot.co.nz/2011/08/ ... ution.html
Biowatch

Print view this post

#4  Postby 4 Hours » Nov 07, 2013 5:58 am

To me, the dysgenic effect of the stupid breeding out of control only underscores the need for transhumanism. The answer is not to get into a breeding war with the stupid, because the Earth can't afford that, but to find out how to create better people on demand.
Hope you got your things together
Hope you are quite prepared to die
Looks like we're in for nasty weather
One eye is taken for an eye
Weeell, don't go 'round tonight
Well, it's bound to take your life
There's a bad moon on the rise
4 Hours
Banned Troll

Name: Abdullah
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby quisquose » Nov 07, 2013 8:17 am

There's a documentary called Idiocracy that details Crabtree's findings.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby 4 Hours » Nov 07, 2013 8:31 am

Incidentally, I find it hilarious that Flynn acknowledges the dysgenic effect of the stupid. This is going to cause a lot of liberal assmad given that the Flynn effect is one of the first things they invoke when defending the mental plasticity of the wonderful human species.
4 Hours
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby jaydot » Nov 18, 2013 4:36 am

crabtree is on a par with the twat whose research tells him that a purring cat is stressed.
jaydot

Print view this post

#8  Postby Agrippina » Nov 18, 2013 4:57 am

:coffee:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Agrippina » Nov 18, 2013 5:26 am

I think crabtree is basing his ideas on perceived ignorance, rather than actual stupidity. I don't think people are becoming less intelligent, but rather that they aren't encouraged to become more informed, knowledgeable because being highly educated, and knowledgeable is seen as a "bad" thing, and even elitist. At least that's what some of our more ignorant politicians claim. And in this country, most of the politicians are idiots. In this country the failure of our kids to excel in our government schools is a genuine problem, and more a political one than due to lack of intellect.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#10  Postby 4 Hours » Nov 18, 2013 5:36 am

Agrippina wrote:I think crabtree is basing his ideas on perceived ignorance, rather than actual stupidity.

These results are based on outcomes of IQ tests. As such they have a lot more to do with intelligence as such than ignorance. Gifted children who have little learning nonetheless manage to do very well on IQ tests.

Agrippina wrote:I don't think people are becoming less intelligent, but rather that they aren't encouraged to become more informed, knowledgeable because being highly educated, and knowledgeable is seen as a "bad" thing, and even elitist.

Agreed. Notice that people whose love of learning is such that it gives them no choice but to accept the most politically incorrect viewpoints tend to be viewed with scorn and derision by others.

It's almost as though there are examples on this forum.
4 Hours
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Shagz » Nov 18, 2013 5:44 am

I have a feeling I'll regret asking...

For example?
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby 4 Hours » Nov 18, 2013 7:03 am

Shagz wrote:I have a feeling I'll regret asking...

For example?

Claiming that the world's environment is going into the toilet because of human nature and then claiming that, accordingly, the world's environmental problems will only be fixed if humanity gets replaced with something better.
4 Hours
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Nov 18, 2013 7:17 am

4 Hours wrote:

For example?

Claiming that the world's environment is going into the toilet because of human nature and then claiming that, accordingly, the world's environmental problems will only be fixed if humanity gets replaced with something better.

Ana the Queen and the Visitors will fix it all up for us....true story.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#14  Postby Blackadder » Nov 18, 2013 8:39 am

4 Hours wrote:

For example?

Be a leader. Show the way. But make sure you call the TV networks before you jump. At least entertain the masses on your way out. Panem et circenses and all that jazz, eh?
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby 4 Hours » Nov 18, 2013 9:23 am

Blackadder wrote:
4 Hours wrote:

For example?

Be a leader. Show the way. But make sure you call the TV networks before you jump.

Perhaps you haven't heard of something called "transhumanism". Incidentally I love how people are always trying to divert me with "U FIRST". Is the following claim being disputed or is it not?

"The world's environmental problems will only be fixed if humanity gets replaced with something better."

That's all I'm interested in here, not what you think is fair or just.
4 Hours
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Blackadder » Nov 18, 2013 2:24 pm

4 Hours wrote:

Agreed. Notice that people whose love of learning is such that it gives them no choice but to accept the most politically incorrect viewpoints tend to be viewed with scorn and derision by others.

It's almost as though there are examples on this forum.

Funnily enough, on this forum at least I've noticed that scorn and derision are generally reserved for those who erect manifestly unsupported assertions and then demand respect for them or those who act like obnoxious brats when their ideas are challenged. It's almost as though there are examples in this topic.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Agrippina » Nov 18, 2013 2:26 pm

And then he's gone! :roll:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#18  Postby stevecook172001 » Nov 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Whilst I am unable to make specific comment on this research without having read it in detail I do feel able to make the following more general observations with regards to advanced technological societies;

Such societies usually have complex support mechanisms in place for the sick, the old and and the otherwise compromised. That being the case, it must inevitably be also the case that the rigour of natural selection will have been relaxed compared to less technologically advanced times. This, in turn, will have allowed a certain degree of genetic drift to enter a population on all manner of things ranging from fertility rates, inherited diseases of various sorts etc. There is no reason, in principle then, to suppose that such drift may not also occur in the functions of the human brain, it being merely another aspect of our physiology that may be subject to natural selection pressures.

I see no logical reason, therefore, why there should be an evolutionary get-out-of-jail-free-card for the human brain
stevecook172001

Name: deleted

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby stevecook172001 » Nov 20, 2013 12:22 am

deleted by author due to double posting
stevecook172001

Name: deleted

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Veida » Nov 20, 2013 1:40 am

It isn't clear to me that selection on brainpower is less today than it used to be. Seems to me that selection pressure might have been stronger on other things than brains before - things such as on endurance, strength, resistance to infection, etc, that are less important today. I wouldn't be surprised if selection on brains is actually stronger today than it used to be.
Veida

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities