The 1% work harder...

yeah...right!

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

The 1% work harder...

#1  Postby kennyc » Feb 07, 2014 10:57 pm


Sam Zell: 'The 1 percent work harder'
Billionaire real estate investor Sam Zell agreed with capital pioneer Tom Perkins that wealthy Americans are being unfairly criticized and said that the 1 percent work harder.

"The 1 percent are getting pummeled because it's politically convenient to do so," Zell said, an interview Wednesday on Bloomberg Television’s "In the Loop" with Betty Liu.

People "should not talk about envy of the 1 percent, they should talk about emulating the 1 percent. The 1 percent work harder, the 1 percent are much bigger factors in all forms of our society."

...


http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 0803.story
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
User avatar
kennyc
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Posts: 8698
Male

Country: U.S.A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The 1% work harder...

#2  Postby Mazille » Feb 07, 2014 11:01 pm

Even if I were inclined to let that stand. Do they work several million to billion times harder/smarter/faster/better to justify their disproportionately high share in... well... everything?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
User avatar
Mazille
RS Donator
 
Posts: 19741
Age: 35
Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#3  Postby tuco » Feb 07, 2014 11:04 pm

That is why the risks of leaving power to the 1% are too great. When Joe gets misguided there are 77 dead but when Adolf ..
tuco
 
Posts: 15550

Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#4  Postby THWOTH » Feb 07, 2014 11:51 pm

The wealthy and privileged always say that. It's part of the lie the rich tell themselves to justify getting paid more. And that's not to say that getting paid more makes you rich but just that being rich gets you paid more.

How much harder is it to work in an office environment on assured benefits and bonuses than dig ditches for six days a week where you get paid by the yard? They might say that the CEO of transcorp has far more responsibilities than a ditch digger, and I guess that might be so to some extent, but more responsibility than a train driver or emergency nurse, who have people's lives in their hands day after day?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 37113
Age: 56

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#5  Postby Beatsong » Feb 08, 2014 12:13 am

Mazille wrote:Even if I were inclined to let that stand. Do they work several million to billion times harder/smarter/faster/better to justify their disproportionately high share in... well... everything?


That's what's so ridiculous. It's like people who justify Britain's support of the royal family by saying "oh, but the Queen works hard, don't you know?"

Yeah, OK... and the reason she's several hundred million times wealthier than me is because she works several hundred million times as many hours per week, or does a job that requires several hundred million times as much effort, skill and dedication, right? :lol:
User avatar
Beatsong
 
Posts: 7027

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#6  Postby Mazille » Feb 08, 2014 12:24 am

It's absurd, isn't it? Thing is, everyone who has at least something wants to be seen as deserving of what they have. That leads many people to defend the disgustingly rich by way of defending their own standing in the world. The problem is, as in many things, that people aren't very good with numbers. A difference of several dozen or hundred magnitudes ( as seen in the wealth of the 1% versus the rest) and a difference of one or two magnitudes (as seen in the wealth of you and me versus some, what,30 or so % of the world?) kinda looks very similar from where most people stand.
Read that sentence again. You might think: Yeah, but several dozen. Maybe hundreds. Doesn't sound like all that much. I eat several thousand of kilocalories each day. True. But I am talking about magnitudes. That's where peoples' brains just glaze over.

We're not equipped to deal with those kinds of relations and that is why people haven't started hanging hedge fund managers, bank CEOs, media moguls and the like from their entrails. Yet.



Yet.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
User avatar
Mazille
RS Donator
 
Posts: 19741
Age: 35
Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#7  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 08, 2014 12:36 am

An apposite article is this one ... :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
User avatar
Calilasseia
RS Donator
 
Posts: 22091
Age: 59
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The 1% work harder...

#8  Postby Onyx8 » Feb 08, 2014 1:05 am

Nice comment from an entomologist in there too.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
User avatar
Onyx8
Moderator
 
Posts: 17520
Age: 64
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#9  Postby THWOTH » Feb 08, 2014 1:41 am

Calilasseia wrote:An apposite article is this one ... :)

And another one here...
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 37113
Age: 56

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#10  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Feb 08, 2014 2:01 am

THWOTH wrote:The wealthy and privileged always say that. It's part of the lie the rich tell themselves to justify getting paid more. And that's not to say that getting paid more makes you rich but just that being rich gets you paid more.

How much harder is it to work in an office environment on assured benefits and bonuses than dig ditches for six days a week where you get paid by the yard? They might say that the CEO of transcorp has far more responsibilities than a ditch digger, and I guess that might be so to some extent, but more responsibility than a train driver or emergency nurse, who have people's lives in their hands day after day?

Lives arn't important you idiot--money is. The money god may not be questioned. :naughty:

In our globalised world, people are paper clips. It is corporations that have become the real people. Soylent Green ethics. :(
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog
 
Posts: 7440
Age: 66

Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#11  Postby james1v » Feb 08, 2014 2:33 am

what is work? Back crippling, physical? Or pointing to a pile of earth, and demanding it should be moved, by the other?


What is work? :think:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
User avatar
james1v
 
Name: James.
Posts: 8948
Age: 62
Male

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#12  Postby Beatrice » Feb 08, 2014 2:39 am

Supposedly psychopaths make up 1% of the population, I often wonder if there's a link... :tongue:
Phew... for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself.....
"GOD" is an acronym which stands for "GOD Over Djinn".
User avatar
Beatrice
RS Donator
 
Name:
Posts: 3418
Female

Country: New Zealand
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#13  Postby kennyc » Feb 08, 2014 2:46 am

Well let's see, there's that guy in the video above, Donald Trump, the Koch brothers...
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
User avatar
kennyc
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Posts: 8698
Male

Country: U.S.A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#14  Postby Beatrice » Feb 08, 2014 3:04 am

yup! funny isn't it?
Phew... for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself.....
"GOD" is an acronym which stands for "GOD Over Djinn".
User avatar
Beatrice
RS Donator
 
Name:
Posts: 3418
Female

Country: New Zealand
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#15  Postby Arcanyn » Feb 08, 2014 6:33 am

They're clearly demigods with amazing superpowers. I bet one of them could build an entire skyscraper, just by themselves, in a matter of hours. And I'm sure they could easily handle tens of thousands of medical cases at once. And they would make amazing superheroes, because they are clearly capable of doing the equivalent work of an entire police force single-handedly. That's why they need to be paid that much, because it's clear that however hard someone works, one of these amazing divine entities will easily manage to do tens of thousands of times that much work in the same period of time.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
User avatar
Arcanyn
 
Posts: 1478
Age: 36
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The 1% work harder...

#16  Postby quas » Feb 08, 2014 6:45 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
THWOTH wrote:The wealthy and privileged always say that. It's part of the lie the rich tell themselves to justify getting paid more. And that's not to say that getting paid more makes you rich but just that being rich gets you paid more.

How much harder is it to work in an office environment on assured benefits and bonuses than dig ditches for six days a week where you get paid by the yard? They might say that the CEO of transcorp has far more responsibilities than a ditch digger, and I guess that might be so to some extent, but more responsibility than a train driver or emergency nurse, who have people's lives in their hands day after day?

Lives arn't important you idiot--money is. The money god may not be questioned. :naughty:


Lives are important. While the nurse is responsible for only 10-20 lives at a time, the CEO could have thousands of people and their families who depended on him for livelihood.

Arcanyn wrote:They're clearly demigods with amazing superpowers. I bet one of them could build an entire skyscraper, just by themselves, in a matter of hours. And I'm sure they could easily handle tens of thousands of medical cases at once. And they would make amazing superheroes, because they are clearly capable of doing the equivalent work of an entire police force single-handedly. That's why they need to be paid that much, because it's clear that however hard someone works, one of these amazing divine entities will easily manage to do tens of thousands of times that much work in the same period of time.

You are not paid by how much work you do, but how much people value whatever you can produce or offer. Paris Hilton posing for Playboy or a serial killer released from prison giving exclusive interviews to the media will earn more than an entire family of Indian farmers could earn in many years.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
User avatar
quas
 
Posts: 2793

Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#17  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Feb 08, 2014 7:28 am

quas wrote:-

Lives are important. While the nurse is responsible for only 10-20 lives at a time, the CEO could have thousands of people and their families who depended on him for livelihood.


Yaabutt but the vast, vast majority of nurses actually do care for their patients. On the other hand, it is not uncommon for CEO's to announce multi-billion dollar profits and the layoffs of thousands of workers in the same breath!
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog
 
Posts: 7440
Age: 66

Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#18  Postby Jef » Feb 08, 2014 7:36 am

quas wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:
THWOTH wrote:The wealthy and privileged always say that. It's part of the lie the rich tell themselves to justify getting paid more. And that's not to say that getting paid more makes you rich but just that being rich gets you paid more.

How much harder is it to work in an office environment on assured benefits and bonuses than dig ditches for six days a week where you get paid by the yard? They might say that the CEO of transcorp has far more responsibilities than a ditch digger, and I guess that might be so to some extent, but more responsibility than a train driver or emergency nurse, who have people's lives in their hands day after day?

Lives arn't important you idiot--money is. The money god may not be questioned. :naughty:


Lives are important. While the nurse is responsible for only 10-20 lives at a time, the CEO could have thousands of people and their families who depended on him for livelihood.


That's a somewhat one-sided interpretation of 'responsibility', which completely externalizes it. As important to an understanding of responsibility are the repercussions for the individual if they fail in their responsibility.

A discredited nurse loses their livelihood, and quite possibly their freedom; depending upon the extent of their negligence. A discredited CEO often leaves with a golden handshake and is back at a boardroom table before the month is out. They like to claim responsibility for the lives of others, but stop short of taking any.

I might also note at this point that in those few jurisdictions within which it is the proper concern of a CEO, or any member of the board of directors for that matter, to concern themselves with corporate social responsibility, they have had practically to be forced by statute to consider anything beyond shareholder value maximization.
Last edited by Jef on Feb 08, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jef
RS Donator
 
Posts: 1929

Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#19  Postby quas » Feb 08, 2014 7:56 am

Doctors and nurses often get away with medical negligence, just as CEOs often have to declare bankruptcy and start all over. I think if there is any unjustice, it is our skewed perception of value that allows an attention-whore "celebrity" without any discernible talent (including Donald Trump) to earn more than food-producing farmers.

Darwinsbulldog wrote:quas wrote:-

Lives are important. While the nurse is responsible for only 10-20 lives at a time, the CEO could have thousands of people and their families who depended on him for livelihood.


Yaabutt but the vast, vast majority of nurses actually do care for their patients. On the other hand, it is not uncommon for CEO's to announce multi-billion dollar profits and the layoffs of thousands of workers in the same breath!

So? You can announce yesterday's profits and, in light of today's rising costs, simultaneously anticipate reduction in tomorrow's production costs. How do you know for sure that's not caring? Maybe the layoff conducted resulted in more profit which could be used in more investments elsewhere (another business venture) which in turn could provide even more livelihoods than before.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
User avatar
quas
 
Posts: 2793

Print view this post

Re: The 1% work harder...

#20  Postby Jef » Feb 08, 2014 8:06 am

quas wrote:Doctors and nurses often get away with medical negligence, just as CEOs often have to declare bankruptcy and start all over.


I presume you come prepared with a useful selection of examples of those doctors and nurses who have been found negligent and have yet escaped censure.

And, what is the relevance of CEO's declaring bankruptcy and starting over? Aside from emphasizing the complete abrogation of responsibility for their failure, that is.

If, as a doctor, a person is so utterly hopeless that the court needs to step in, do they get to have another crack at it? And another?

I think if there is any unjustice, it is our skewed perception of value that allows an attention-whore "celebrity" without any discernible talent (including Donald Trump) to earn more than food-producing farmers.


I see no particular reason to lionize farmers either. A lot of them are probably entitled arseholes who have inherited vast swathes of land from some cut-throat dick of an ancestor.
Jef
RS Donator
 
Posts: 1929

Print view this post

Next

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest