The benefits of the British empire to the world

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The benefits of the British empire to the world

#21  Postby darnwelling » Jan 11, 2023 7:24 pm

jamest wrote:
darnwelling wrote:I don't know Jesse. I've been looking for it everywhere. Maybe it's behind the sofa.

For the sake of discussion you'd have been better off asking whether there had been any benefits of the British Empire for other countries.

Yes, the British empire has benefited most of the world. It brought infrastructure among other things, including, let's face it, civilization itself.

The difference between the British empire and Wakanda is that the British empire was real and still benefits the world, whereas Wakanda, just in case anyone believes otherwise, is fictional and benefits no one.
darnwelling
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#22  Postby Seabass » Jan 11, 2023 9:05 pm

darnwelling wrote:The British empire was one of the largest and most powerful empires in world history. Spanning the globe, it brought trade, industry, and technology to countless nations, and helped to spread the ideals of democracy and the rule of law. 

One of the most significant benefits of the British empire was the economic development it brought to many of the territories it controlled. The empire created vast trade networks that linked the far-flung corners of the world and spurred economic growth throughout the British colonies. For example, in India, the British introduced a number of economic reforms, including the establishment of a centralized banking system and the development of a rail network, that helped to spur industrialization and economic growth. Similarly, in Africa, the British built a vast system of railroads, roads, and ports that facilitated the export of raw materials and the import of manufactured goods, helping to spur economic development on the continent.

The British empire also helped to spread the ideals of democracy and the rule of law to many of the territories it controlled. Many of the colonies that fell under British rule were ruled by authoritarian or despotic leaders, and the British brought a system of government based on the rule of law and the protection of individual rights. For example, in India, the British introduced a system of government based on the rule of law, and helped to establish a number of institutions, including a judiciary, that helped to protect the rights of citizens. Similarly, in Africa, the British helped to establish a number of democratic institutions, including free and fair elections, that helped to promote political stability and good governance.

Furthermore, The empire had a strong impact on the spread of education and knowledge, The British introduced an extensive system of education in their colonies, allowing many people access to education who might otherwise never have had the opportunity. Many of the schools and universities established by the British continue to operate today, and continue to provide education to millions of people. This education has helped to create a generation of leaders and thinkers who have gone on to shape the political, social, and economic development of their countries.

The British empire brought many benefits and made many positive contributions to the world. The economic development, spread of democracy and rule of law, education and knowledge, it was instrumental in shaping the world as we know it today. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#23  Postby darnwelling » Jan 11, 2023 9:40 pm

It seems to me that you think I'm talking shit. See? I catch on quick.
darnwelling
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#24  Postby THWOTH » Jan 11, 2023 11:00 pm

darnwelling wrote:
jamest wrote:
darnwelling wrote:I don't know Jesse. I've been looking for it everywhere. Maybe it's behind the sofa.

For the sake of discussion you'd have been better off asking whether there had been any benefits of the British Empire for other countries.

Yes, the British empire has benefited most of the world. It brought infrastructure among other things, including, let's face it, civilization itself.

Aye. Civilising the savages and bringing the word of Our Lord to the unwashed masses. I don't know why people are so anti-imperialist here. I mean, we gave these people the best railway system in the world and they're still eating with bits of wood. It wouldn't hurt them to thank us once in a while. If it wasn't for the British Empire they'd still be living in mud huts and wearing animal skins - the ungrateful little sods. Go figure.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby darnwelling » Jan 11, 2023 11:05 pm

THWOTH wrote:
darnwelling wrote:
jamest wrote:

Aye. Civilising the savages and bringing the word of Our Lord to the unwashed masses. I don't know why people are so anti-imperialist here. I mean, we gave these people the best railway system in the world and they're still eating with bits of wood. It wouldn't hurt them to thank us once in a while. If it wasn't for the British Empire they'd still be living in mud huts and wearing animal skins - the ungrateful little sods. Go figure.

If it had not been for the British empire, Africa would still be in the stone age.
darnwelling
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#26  Postby THWOTH » Jan 11, 2023 11:49 pm

darnwelling wrote:
THWOTH wrote:
darnwelling wrote:
jamest wrote:

If it had not been for the British empire, Africa would still be in the stone age.

Aye. You can see what a crapzone Africa is today without the guiding hand of the superior white man and the Judao-Christian values that have put us where we are today - top of the dog pile, eh?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby darnwelling » Jan 11, 2023 11:52 pm

You say that as though it's not true.
darnwelling
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#28  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 12, 2023 3:49 am

:lol:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#29  Postby Sendraks » Jan 12, 2023 12:42 pm

As long as one is prepared to consider "benefit" as "not remotely a net positive" then darnwelling's observations stack up.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 13, 2023 7:42 am

darnwelling wrote:

Like Africa was in the Stone Age in the 19th century - you'd have to be a really ignorant dumbo to believe this fiction, and that's exactly the target audience of purveyors of this racist fantasy.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby jamest » Jan 13, 2023 6:47 pm

It's not often I agree that someone deserved to be banned, but what a plonker he was.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 14, 2023 5:02 pm

https://www.britannica.com/place/centra ... e-Iron-Age

The Iron Age reached Central Africa more or less at the same time it reached western Europe, some 3,000 years ago.

It reached Central Africa at the same time the Iron Age reached Western Europe - but was already present in East and North Africa for generations prior to that.

Ironically, the Iron Age reached the majority of the African continent before it reached the British Isles, and long, long, long before any island-spanning polity that could be called British, let alone one with a globe-spanning Empire.

Presumably, he got his history from that same network of online right wing information that Peterson's most celebrated in.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#33  Postby Evolving » Jan 14, 2023 5:42 pm

Timbuktu.

Stone Age. Right.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Seabass » Jan 14, 2023 8:22 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Presumably, he got his history from that same network of online right wing information that Peterson's most celebrated in.

He's parroting the PragerU youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@PragerU

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#35  Postby The_Piper » Jan 15, 2023 1:30 am

"H.W. Crocker III" What a Crocker shit. :shifty:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 15, 2023 4:08 am

Seabass wrote:

The Disinformation Age.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#37  Postby Animavore » Jan 15, 2023 8:46 pm

Seabass wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Across all his threads. Hence why I said -

Animavore wrote:Ah! A student of PragerU.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#38  Postby The_Piper » Jan 15, 2023 8:53 pm

I was going to say science, but I guess not. :lol: They gave us Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Who, and many more. :mrgreen:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 19, 2023 4:35 pm

Marmite.

Now, that is a boon to the world.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 19, 2023 6:58 pm

My cat (Marmite) approves of your message.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities