The benefits of the British empire to the world

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The benefits of the British empire to the world

#41  Postby Animavore » Jan 19, 2023 8:20 pm

Half the World at least.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#42  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 19, 2023 8:33 pm

The other half gets Vegemite! Every one’s a winner!
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby jamest » Jan 20, 2023 7:31 pm

I've thought of one possible benefit for the world, which is that 'the colonials' provided several million men to fight alongside the British in both World Wars. Arguably, without them, Germany could have won either of those wars (prior to US involvement). Food for thought, anyway.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Evolving » Jan 20, 2023 8:05 pm

The whole system of European alliances, the whole balance of power, would have been utterly different if Britain hadn't had an empire and had been just an insignificant island at the edge of the continent as at the time of the Spanish Armada.

How it would have been dfferent rather depends on whether we're assuming that the Spanish, Portuguese, French and Dutch had still had their overseas empires or hadn't had them either.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#45  Postby jamest » Jan 20, 2023 9:48 pm

Evolving wrote:The whole system of European alliances, the whole balance of power, would have been utterly different if Britain hadn't had an empire and had been just an insignificant island at the edge of the continent as at the time of the Spanish Armada.

How it would have been dfferent rather depends on whether we're assuming that the Spanish, Portuguese, French and Dutch had still had their overseas empires or hadn't had them either.

Fair point, though what I'm saying is that an enemy of Germany (Britain) happened to be the country with such a big empire that it possibly/probably affected the outcome of either/both world wars, which I think is very significant for the rest of the world.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#46  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 21, 2023 12:08 am

Evolving wrote:The whole system of European alliances, the whole balance of power, would have been utterly different if Britain hadn't had an empire and had been just an insignificant island at the edge of the continent as at the time of the Spanish Armada.

And, what about the Spanish Inquisition, which no one expected?
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 21, 2023 2:49 am

Sendraks wrote:As long as one is prepared to consider "benefit" as "not remotely a net positive" then darnwelling's observations stack up.

Or 'eventually and coincidentally became a benefit after decades, or centuries of exploitation, when the subordinate nations became independent'.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#48  Postby Sendraks » Jan 24, 2023 12:04 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Sendraks wrote:As long as one is prepared to consider "benefit" as "not remotely a net positive" then darnwelling's observations stack up.

Or 'eventually and coincidentally became a benefit after decades, or centuries of exploitation, when the subordinate nations became independent'.

'but found their nations significantly depleted of resources, these having been leached away for the benefit of the empire (specifically England. More specifically rich landowners in England).'
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities