The dark triad of human behaviour

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

The dark triad of human behaviour

#1  Postby ymitchell » Jun 19, 2010 12:31 pm

Dear Carole, Why do girls – even nice girls – fall for bad boys, even when the girls in question are 37 and should know much better? My friends and I don't understand ourselves.

Carole replies:
The "dark triad" of human behaviour consists of narcissism (or self-obsession), psychopathy (including callous, impulsive, thrill-seeking, risk-taking behaviour) and Machiavellianism (exploitative, manipulative and deceitful behaviour). Bad boys exhibit dark triad traits and their behaviour, according to one theory, is genetic, meaning they are unlikely to change their ways. guardian.co.uk
ymitchell
Banned User

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The dark triad of human behaviour

#2  Postby Berthold » Jun 20, 2010 2:02 pm

The Guardian looked, to me, a reasonably respectable newspaper. They have such a column, too? ;)
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Jun 20, 2010 2:07 pm

Because bad boys do not appear to them as losers ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby Dudely » Jun 23, 2010 2:51 pm

What's all this bullshit I keep hearing about genes? Fuck people, take some responsibility, or at least blame your situation or upbringing as well. My genetic father was a flake, dropout, wannabe rock star, racist, and irresponsible womanizer (he has 4 children with 3 women and has never been married). Meanwhile my "real" father is a small, quiet, intelligent and sensible man.

Guess which one I am?

Of course, I'm not small (that really is 100% genetics) and I'm far from quiet, but I get that from my mother.

Now I'm not saying your genes don't affect your behavior, but to say you can't change is something else entirely. I'd say it merely makes it much less likely.
This is what hydrogen atoms do given 15 billion years of evolution- Carl Sagan

Ignorance is slavery- Miles Davis
Dudely

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Prof. Faust » Jun 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Gah! That's not what psychopathy means, damn it!
For a moment, consider the set of all sets that have never been considered.
Prof. Faust

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Mazille » Jun 23, 2010 3:19 pm

Prof. Faust wrote:Gah! That's not what psychopathy means, damn it!

On a related note, they're not exactly doing Machiavelli a favour here either.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Templeton » Aug 03, 2010 5:50 pm

"Bad boys exhibit dark triad traits and their behaviour, according to one theory, is genetic, meaning they are unlikely to change their ways. guardian.co.uk"

A little correction here.
Behavioral genetics are fluid, meaning that they do in fact change. A simple example of this; when we first learned to drive we would behave nervous when entering the freeway and experience a higher amount of stress. After a short while when we become more familiar with the environmental circumstance our behavior changes, (for most, or not ) we no longer are nervous and our stress levels are lower. This example may seem to imply that a behavioral change just sort of happens, but that is not the case. We have a choice to behave any way we choose.
Why do women keep becoming involved with "bad boys"? There is an emotional connection that attracts women, and men for that matter, that is addictive. It is like a thrill seeker desiring to live on the edge. Life can seem more exciting being involved with someone who runs against societal norms, and the "thrill" is an emotion. Emotions are chemical reactions in our body that we can become addictied to. When we see someone repeatedly experiencing the same behaviors, even if it appears to result in a bad experience, that is an addiction to the emotion of the experience. How often do we see women, for example, that go from one abusive relationship to another? Much like the "bad boy" experience, some women keep attaching themselves to abusive partners, which always seems to end the same. Anyone who is in these relationships will only come out of them when they decide to change "their" behavior, and in doing so will break the chemical addiction of the emotion. By changing their behavior they change the emotional chemistry of the body. The initiator of our behaviors lay in our conscious perceptions of events in our lives. How we perceive ourselves and the experience. If we can view/perceive any experience we are in without feeling an emotional reaction, we can then see the experience clearly. If we react emotionally then we are acting according to the chemical process and the emotions can cloud our decisions.
This is not to say that we shouldn't be emotional, in fact we most definetly should, it is just to say that we should become aware of how we may act and make our choices accordingly.
Templeton

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Gallstones » Aug 03, 2010 6:03 pm

Good input Templeton.
Gallstones

Print view this post

#9  Postby Firetail » Aug 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Templeton, Do you think that could be one of the underlying causes for "serial infidelity" as well? Addiction to the rush more than any actual sexual attraction.

TBH, I haven't even thought of it in the way you write about it in your post, would love to see some studies done with this in mind.
I was dead before I was born,
and I will be dead when I die.
Life is but a transitory glimmer of light,
between two endless eternities of darkness.
Firetail

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Mazille » Aug 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Gallstones wrote:Good input Templeton.

:this:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Templeton » Aug 04, 2010 2:03 am

Firetail wrote:Templeton, Do you think that could be one of the underlying causes for "serial infidelity" as well? Addiction to the rush more than any actual sexual attraction.

TBH, I haven't even thought of it in the way you write about it in your post, would love to see some studies done with this in mind.

I do believe that emotional chemical addiction is contributory to many dis-eases, not only physiologically, but mentally as well. I was thrashing about looking for a study I read a couple of years ago (haven't found it yet) that correlated an increase in cases of breast cancer in women in Africa with the introduction of Western advertisement (from around the 1960's to aprox 2004.
Western advertising floods the media of pictures of how women’s breast should look as well as women in general, subsequently many African women do not believe their breast are adequate. Now does this cause cancer? Hopefully research will tell us, but the potential is truly exciting.
So in reply I do believe there is a connection, but you can take that with a grain of salt as I also believe that J.B. Lamarck wasn't as far off as many people believe. :shhh:
Templeton

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby jparada » Aug 21, 2010 11:28 am

I know lots of women who DETEST "bad boys". Not all are the same.
jparada

Colombia (co)
Print view this post

#13  Postby HAJiME » Aug 21, 2010 11:32 am

What's any more dark about human behaviour than any other creature? :S
HAJiME

Name: Joseph
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby MattHunX » Sep 22, 2010 1:05 pm

(including callous, impulsive, thrill-seeking, risk-taking behaviour) and Machiavellianism (exploitative, manipulative and deceitful behaviour)

I see absolutely nothing wrong with those types of behavior as long as the person who has them is e.g.: impulsive, exploitative and deceitful with people who deserve it. Being callous and not letting emotions get in the way can be beneficial and is necessary. Thrill-seeking and risk-taking can be someone's drug, if they know their own limits and where to draw the line.

It's certainly doesn't make for a boring life-style.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#15  Postby Daan » Oct 07, 2010 10:05 am

jparada wrote:I know lots of women who DETEST "bad boys". Not all are the same.

That is true. Tastes are very different. During the first season of Idols in Holland, i watched the program with my sister. In the finals there were two boys. One masculine and macho, the bad boy type. The other was more feminine and came out of the closet as a gay later on. The majority voted for the last boy, though he was less handsome. My sister didn't like it at all, because she likes macho men, and couldn't understand why women would choose for the latter type.

But, i find several women amazing in their support for psychopaths. Take the example of Josef Fritzl, the Austrian guy that locked up and abused his daughter for a few decades. 200 women send him love letters in prison.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -20594199/
Daan

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby babel » Oct 07, 2010 10:10 am

Daan wrote:
jparada wrote:I know lots of women who DETEST "bad boys". Not all are the same.

That is true. Tastes are very different. During the first season of Idols in Holland, i watched the program with my sister. In the finals there were two boys. One masculine and macho, the bad boy type. The other was more feminine and came out of the closet as a gay later on. The majority voted for the last boy, though he was less handsome. My sister didn't like it at all, because she likes macho men, and couldn't understand why women would choose for the latter type.

But, i find several women amazing in their support for psychopaths. Take the example of Josef Fritzl, the Austrian guy that locked up and abused his daughter for a few decades. 200 women send him love letters in prison.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -20594199/
"Won't you be my daddy?" :scratch:
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Daan » Oct 07, 2010 10:27 am

Well, it's the topic of the OP. My theory why some women fall for bad boys is that bad boys have an evolutionary advantage, and so you need women who want to make babies with the bad boys, so the procreate. Most women don't like bad boys, because altruism is also important for the maintenance of a society. Though there is also devolution and decadence. Our modern society has nothing to do with the enivronment in which human behaviour evolved.
Daan

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby Dudely » Oct 07, 2010 12:12 pm

There is no such thing as 'devolution'.
This is what hydrogen atoms do given 15 billion years of evolution- Carl Sagan

Ignorance is slavery- Miles Davis
Dudely

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Daan » Oct 07, 2010 1:27 pm

Well, lets rephrase into a species evolving into something that will get obsolete in the future.
Daan

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby katja z » Oct 22, 2010 9:34 am

Daan wrote:Well, lets rephrase into a species evolving into something that will get obsolete in the future.

But everything will get obsolete sometime in the future of a species. :dunno:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities