The human condition - is a holistic view possible?

Holistic view of human behavior

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

The human condition - is a holistic view possible?

#1  Postby TMB » Jun 08, 2014 10:14 am

I have been "challenged' by Cito de Pense to paint a picture of the human condition, this is something that arose from a discussion in a topic on men being part of a rape culture, and I criticised the author of original article and is limited vision of the topic and inability to see the bigger picture.

I will start by defining what I understand to be the objectives of what I will do, as if there is no concensus on what its about, we are unlikely to get agreement on subordinate details.

I believe that it is possible, in principle, to reduce all human behavior to a single factor, and those details are all ultimately subject to an underlying cause which can be reduced to a deeper level and ultimately to a single factor that is not dependent upon any subsequent effects. This means that I subscribe to the idea of hierarchial cause and effect stacks, and while that does not rule out cross-linking between subordinate effects, ultimately a single cause will bring into existence the entire causation stack.
TMB

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The human condition - is a holistic view possible?

#2  Postby Nicko » Jun 08, 2014 10:32 am

TMB wrote:I have been "challenged' by Cito de Pense to paint a picture of the human condition, this is something that arose from a discussion in a topic on men being part of a rape culture, and I criticised the author of original article and is limited vision of the topic and inability to see the bigger picture.

I will start by defining what I understand to be the objectives of what I will do, as if there is no concensus on what its about, we are unlikely to get agreement on subordinate details.

I believe that it is possible, in principle, to reduce all human behavior to a single factor, and those details are all ultimately subject to an underlying cause which can be reduced to a deeper level and ultimately to a single factor that is not dependent upon any subsequent effects. This means that I subscribe to the idea of hierarchial cause and effect stacks, and while that does not rule out cross-linking between subordinate effects, ultimately a single cause will bring into existence the entire causation stack.

Okay. Tell me what single factor you think all human behaviour can be reduced to and I'll try to explain how you're wrong.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Fallible » Jun 08, 2014 10:38 am

Can we place bets on what it will be?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby TMB » Jun 08, 2014 11:25 am

Nicko wrote:
TMB wrote:I have been "challenged' by Cito de Pense to paint a picture of the human condition, this is something that arose from a discussion in a topic on men being part of a rape culture, and I criticised the author of original article and is limited vision of the topic and inability to see the bigger picture.

Okay. Tell me what single factor you think all human behaviour can be reduced to and I'll try to explain how you're wrong.

Not until you agree that the parameters I have proposed offer a valid mechanism to discuss this. I am not going to get a discussion derailed part way along because you have not reviewed the approach I am suggesting.
TMB

Print view this post

#5  Postby TMB » Jun 08, 2014 11:27 am

Fallible wrote:Can we place bets on what it will be?

You sure can, just as I can place bets that you usually post obtuse comments like this one. If you think you can predict the basic principle then why not come right out with it?
TMB

Print view this post

#6  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jun 08, 2014 11:39 am

Whatever it turns out to be, it will undoubtedly be the final answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Oh.. wait.. isn't that 42? :ask:
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#7  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 08, 2014 11:46 am

Is it the Big Bang? If so, then I agree. Never mind what caused the big bang, we can't go that far back (yet).
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Thommo » Jun 08, 2014 11:48 am

I'm not even sure what you mean by "a single factor". I'd guess that my car is a lot simpler than "all human behaviour", but if someone said they could reduce car performance to a single factor I'd be inclined to disbelieve them - numerous principles are at play from friction, to combustion to aerodynamics.
Thommo

Print view this post

#9  Postby Shrunk » Jun 08, 2014 11:49 am

Boy, we're off to a great start. :roll:

Just out with it, already, TMB. If you truly are in possession of this vitally earth-shattering piece of insight, it should stand on its own without all the preliminary prevarication.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby kennyc » Jun 08, 2014 11:52 am

A picture of the human condition? Reduce all human behavior to a 'single factor?'

This should be good. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Go.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby TMB » Jun 08, 2014 12:07 pm

Shrunk wrote:Boy, we're off to a great start. :roll:

Just out with it, already, TMB. If you truly are in possession of this vitally earth-shattering piece of insight, it should stand on its own without all the preliminary prevarication.

I do not imagine it is rocket science at all, but I want to get the people discussing this to put some skin in the game. My approach is essential reductionism, on the basis that physics underlies chemistry and chemistry underlies biology. If people are at odds with that approach then it will not matter what specifics I offer on human behavior if they do not agree with the approach I am taking. The problems that arise with so many of the debates on these forums is the initial overlooking of the approach people take to argue their point and it usually results in constantly going back and reviewing base assumptions. I would like to talk about the approach I am suggesting before I get into detail.
TMB

Print view this post

#12  Postby kennyc » Jun 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Nor does it matter if others agree or disagree with your prenuptials....

If you got something, let's hear it. Why the fuck start a thread otherwise.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Fallible » Jun 08, 2014 12:15 pm

TMB wrote:

You sure can, just as I can place bets that you usually post obtuse comments like this one. If you think you can predict the basic principle then why not come right out with it?

Because it's not worth the effort. Gratuitous and unnecessarily personal lie noted.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Shrunk » Jun 08, 2014 12:15 pm

TMB wrote:

I do not imagine it is rocket science at all, but I want to get the people discussing this to put some skin in the game. My approach is essential reductionism, on the basis that physics underlies chemistry and chemistry underlies biology. If people are at odds with that approach then it will not matter what specifics I offer on human behavior if they do not agree with the approach I am taking. The problems that arise with so many of the debates on these forums is the initial overlooking of the approach people take to argue their point and it usually results in constantly going back and reviewing base assumptions. I would like to talk about the approach I am suggesting before I get into detail.

Well, the basic assumptions of a claim are kind of important, aren't they?

Anyway, if you're concerned about the topic being derailed by a bunch of extraneous details, you've certainly chosen an odd way of avoiding that....
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Nicko » Jun 08, 2014 12:39 pm

TMB wrote:

I think I get what you are saying. But it kind of leads to an assertion that physics underlies everything which - whilst true in a certain sense - is fairly meaningless. If you can't use physics to predict biological ... stuff, then it really makes no sense to assert that physics can explain biology. Trying to extend that to human behaviour strikes me as even more ... senseless?

Is that what you are saying? That everything just reduces to physics?
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby kennyc » Jun 08, 2014 12:45 pm

Yeah, like Keep it Real said.....it all started with the big bang....a single factor.....shrug.....
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby tuco » Jun 08, 2014 12:52 pm

To paint a picture of the human condition .. do you mean the so-called human nature?
tuco

Print view this post

#18  Postby Thommo » Jun 08, 2014 1:17 pm

Can a three body problem in physics be described as "just one factor"?
Thommo

Print view this post

#19  Postby Agrippina » Jun 08, 2014 1:59 pm

:coffee:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 08, 2014 2:05 pm

TMB wrote:My approach is essential reductionism, on the basis that physics underlies chemistry and chemistry underlies biology. If people are at odds with that approach then it will not matter what specifics I offer on human behavior if they do not agree with the approach I am taking.

Nobody seems to be at odds with that approach; I'm certainly not. Come on robotochan, lay your cards on the table!
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Next

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities