The merits of buying people carbon credits as an xmas prezi

Explore the business, economy, finance and trade aspects of human society.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

The merits of buying people carbon credits as an xmas prezi

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 26, 2018 11:11 am

Just watched this about the "danger" of buying people xmas prezis they don't need or even want. I might buy abt £150 worth of carbon credits and just give a card detailing what they're "getting" each. This also has the advantage of raising awareness of AGW (and carbon credits) amongst the fence sitters/apathetic, and of course, has the further benefit of not propping up greedy toxic economic materialism (notable exceptions being my grandmother (90) and nephew (6) who will probably get jewellery and lego respectively) - It's also relatively easy to implement methinks compared to shopping and shopping and shopping and agonising and wrapping and carrying etc....might come across as being a bit worthy but, hey ho.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The merits of buying people carbon credits as an xmas prezi

#2  Postby Macdoc » Nov 26, 2018 12:59 pm

£150 is a chunk of carbon offsets :clap:
....who gives a fuck what they think - gifts are of value to the giver :D
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 26, 2018 1:16 pm

I've never bought any carbon credits before...don't really know how (yet). I guess I prefer to call them credits rather than offsets, much as I prefer to feel "in the black" rather than "in the red"...better vibe.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby felltoearth » Nov 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Not a bad idea. Just might buy a bunch for my republican brother living in Florida.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 26, 2018 1:42 pm

The card I'm thinking of making for mine is of the Dumf pouring a kettle of boiling water onto an igloo with onlooking polar bear and penguin facepalming :plot:

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 26, 2018 1:52 pm

Or Edward Munch's The Scream wearing an xmas hat with factories and planes in the background belching CO2 hehehe

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Nov 26, 2018 4:44 pm

I'll save a bit of money and instead of buying you carbon credits I'll not drive the truck today in your name.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby scott1328 » Nov 26, 2018 4:45 pm

The pope used to sell indulgences, too. Screw the carbon credits and donate to "green" causes.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 26, 2018 5:02 pm

laklak wrote:I'll save a bit of money and instead of buying you carbon credits I'll not drive the truck today in your name.

That's even better...shame you're joking ;)

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 26, 2018 5:05 pm

scott1328 wrote:The pope used to sell indulgences, too. Screw the carbon credits and donate to "green" causes.

That rather lacks the "awareness raising" pragmatic aim methinks. We all have some carbon footprint, and...well...

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Macdoc » Nov 26, 2018 6:07 pm

Unlike the papal bullshit Scott carbon offsets are effective ....unless you think agw is as mythical as the god bothering shite? :coffee:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Regina » Nov 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
scott1328 wrote:The pope used to sell indulgences, too. Screw the carbon credits and donate to "green" causes.

That rather lacks the "awareness raising" pragmatic aim methinks. We all have some carbon footprint, and...well...

You do not understand how this works. Buying carbon credit indulgences means that you can in fact indulge in some heavy-duty environmental destruction beforehand (eg extensive globe-trotting, riding fat motorbikes, watching your environmental awareness-raising programmes on a 4k TV, and genreally do whatever tickles your affluent middle-class fancy) and then climb the moral highground by acquiring green indulgences. That system works just as beautifully as the papal one.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Blackadder » Nov 26, 2018 6:58 pm

I deplore the failure to address the most important question. Which is: Can they be used to buy beer?
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 26, 2018 7:18 pm

Regina wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

You do not understand how this works. Buying carbon credit indulgences means that you can in fact indulge in some heavy-duty environmental destruction beforehand (eg extensive globe-trotting, riding fat motorbikes, watching your environmental awareness-raising programmes on a 4k TV, and genreally do whatever tickles your affluent middle-class fancy) and then climb the moral highground by acquiring green indulgences. That system works just as beautifully as the papal one.

Call them offsets, call them credits, it's a semantic moot point because they're the same thing at the end of the day.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Macdoc » Nov 26, 2018 7:35 pm

Oh for fucks sake what a load of horseshit......carbon neutral is carbon neutral ....HOW I get to zero footprint is meaningless ...

..are you carbon neutral ....??

If not ....fuck right off moralizing on stuff you patently are ignorant about :nono:
You sound just like the deniers ranting about Al Gore.....go live in a hut in Ethopia if that turns your petty minded hairshirt crank.

BTW a Honda CB500x gets 70 mpg...and my purchase was based purely on economics and range not on it's carbon emissions.
Why the fuck would using 4k screens for work and entertainment matter one iota.

I don't drive to work, our electricity is carbon neutral and our natural gas use is minor and offset.

I go to my other home in Australia twice a year ...and I buy offsets ...if you think that's globe trotting you are just being stupidly ignorant and pejorative...a personal attack.

How much have you contributed to the AGW threads ???? oh right ....you haven't ...... :roll:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby felltoearth » Nov 26, 2018 9:38 pm

For the ignorant, here is how carbon offsets work:

https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/carbon-offsets/
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Regina » Nov 26, 2018 9:51 pm

Macdoc wrote:

Oh for fucks sake what a load of horseshit......carbon neutral is carbon neutral ....HOW I get to zero footprint is meaningless ...

..are you carbon neutral ....??

If not ....fuck right off moralizing on stuff you patently are ignorant about :nono:
You sound just like the deniers ranting about Al Gore.....go live in a hut in Ethopia if that turns your petty minded hairshirt crank.

BTW a Honda CB500x gets 70 mpg...and my purchase was based purely on economics and range not on it's carbon emissions.
Why the fuck would using 4k screens for work and entertainment matter one iota.

I don't drive to work, our electricity is carbon neutral and our natural gas use is minor and offset.

I go to my other home in Australia twice a year ...and I buy offsets ...if you think that's globe trotting you are just being stupidly ignorant and pejorative...a personal attack.

How much have you contributed to the AGW threads ???? oh right ....you haven't ...... :roll:

Well, I needn't contribute to AGW threads, since I'm not indulging in your kind of lifestyle.(And since when are such contributions on an obscure little forum of any relevance to anything?) For all I care, you could travel to work on your very own Lear jet, I don't give a fuck. What I do give a fuck about, though, is your holier-than-thou attitude which is on display here, combined with the delusion that people can go on damaging the planet as long as they buy indulgences after the deed. But, alas, some people find it hard to leave religion behind. The guilty conscience reigns supreme. Life is better without it, you should try it some time.
ETA: As for personal attacks: I'm relieved to learn that all the extensive journeys you told us about over the years appear to be purely imaginary as you only ever travel to Australia.
Last edited by Regina on Nov 26, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Mac is aware and active in the fight against AGW, unlike many, I respect some of the thrust of your comment Regina.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Regina » Nov 26, 2018 10:31 pm

felltoearth wrote:For the ignorant, here is how carbon offsets work:

https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/carbon-offsets/

from your link:

"The buyers of the offsets benefit because they can claim that their purchase resulted in new non-polluting energy, which they can use to mitigate their own greenhouse gas emissions. The buyers may also save money as it may be less expensive for them to purchase offsets than to eliminate their own emissions.*
As I said, it works beautifully. Pollute first, buy indulgences later.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 26, 2018 10:35 pm

You think AGW ameliorators are primarily motivated by greed? Fuck that.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Economics