The relationship between Science and Philosophy

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The relationship between Science and Philosophy

#21  Postby Boyle » Sep 21, 2014 4:31 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:The definition of proof is that which is beyond all doubt and not just reasonable doubt

And all equations by default are examples of this [ one plus one equals two for example ]

NO. In biology, 1+1 =3 [eucaryotes] 1 =2 =4 =8 =16=32 ......in procaryotes! :dopey:

"All bachelors are unmarried" is an absolute and self-evident truth however. :grin:

Well, only once you spread the idea that the word "bachelor" is a description of a man that is unmarried. Before then it's just a jumble of symbols and is hardly self-evident.
Boyle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Macdoc » Sep 21, 2014 5:40 am

It seeks to build self-consistent model

and that is the heart of the problem and why it often gets laughed at and disregarded. Unless you can compare a model against a reality to correct the model it is of no use other than rote exercise.
That's why Jamest thinks he can "reason his way" to reality....he admires the "consistency of the argument" as if it's some virtue not realizing the outcome is total tripe.

I think you built yourself an escape hatch by saying....."until such time as empirical tests".
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 21, 2014 8:06 am

Macdoc wrote:
It seeks to build self-consistent model

and that is the heart of the problem and why it often gets laughed at and disregarded. Unless you can compare a model against a reality to correct the model it is of no use other than rote exercise.
That's why Jamest thinks he can "reason his way" to reality....he admires the "consistency of the argument" as if it's some virtue not realizing the outcome is total tripe.

I think you built yourself an escape hatch by saying....."until such time as empirical tests".

Well, you can't really predict in many cases if a question will have an empirical test one day. I think it is a genuine problem because evidence often does not flow evenly. If there was no difference between different types of evidence, then you may have had a point. The fact is that some types of evidences are harder and more expensive to acquire than others. In physics for example, the smaller the particle, the higher the energy required to detect it. If a light microscope and an electron microscope were the same price, each as easier to build as the other, then I would agree with you.

What evidence free models tell you is that what is being modeled might or might not exist in nature. That is, you can safely eliminate models that don't even seem to have the possibility [realistically] of being true. It also depends on what the model promises. Suppose that the five string theories could have been narrowed down to one? Eventually, it may have been possible to mount an empirical test. The attraction of the five string theories was that if they were demonstrated to be true [well one of them], that they would answer some important questions about the quantum level of reality.
And sympathetic speciation. Valid theoretical models of SS have been around for some time. Only relatively recently have they found out how to separate SS from other modes of speciation.
I don't see anything wrong. Of course, when I am talking about evidence free models I am not talking about woo or magic shit. Questions of the type : "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin" is not the sort of natural philosophy I was talking about, because angels are of natural phenomena, unless you define them [probably correctly] as psychiatric psychological phenomena. :grin:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#24  Postby hackenslash » Sep 21, 2014 10:27 am

igorfrankensteen wrote: I agree with most of what you've said in this thread, but I think you've been careless with the statement that Philosophy only ASKS questions, and answers none. That is a very narrow definition of philosophy, and is one that I can't find listed in any definitions source I have on hand.

Not nearly as careless as you've been with this bollocks. You need a fucking source to tell you this? What an utterly fucking stupid thing to say.

It is always a problem that a lot of humans ARE sloppy in how they use important words such as Philosophy, and that is why we have a number of posts here already, declaring that Philosophy is dead or useless, or some sort of pompously phrased excuse for what some here like to call wibble.

Which I agree with, but I was very careful, thanks, as I generally am. I stand by every word.

I, on the other hand, have grown up under the definition that Philosophy is the overarching systematic framework that we choose to use to organize our perception of, and interaction with, all of existence. This is WHY Science is accurately defined as a subset of Philosophy, and why a statement such as "philosophy is useless" is ludicrous. One must HAVE a philosophy up and running to MAKE such an idiotic statement.

I agree with all of that - though your definition is far wordier than it need be - but it doesn't remotely disagree with anything I've said. I have always said that science is a subset of philosophy. It's the subset that actually provides answers to questions.

It is at the heart of most participants in this forum, that they have selected the scientific method to be their primary tool for managing all information which comes to them. This is not a scientific act on their part, it is a philosophical one, because scientific method is not thrust upon us by existence. If it were, our forebears would not have had to fight to make it the prominent approach used today. The existence of that long and ongoing struggle alone, is proof that an overarching PHILOSOPHY is at play here.

As soon as you say something that actually contradicts anything I've said (aside from your asinine opening), I'll comment further.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby hackenslash » Sep 21, 2014 10:33 am

kennyc wrote:It's been completely subsumed into other areas.

What other areas has it been subsumed into?

You make easily the most cretinous comments on this topic of anyone I've ever come across, and I've yet to see you defend any of them.

I do hope your response here isn't going to be the puerile cockery you delivered last time we interacted, when I challenged you on a factually incorrect statement, and your response before running away was 'drop the bullshit'.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby hackenslash » Sep 21, 2014 10:42 am

surreptitious57 wrote:I should have said that mathematics is the only discipline that always provide definitive answers

Not sure that's even true. There's a little issue known as the 'halting problem'. It deals with algorithms, and is the problem of deciding whether or not a given algorithm will ever reach an answer at all when fed into a universal Turing machine (the idea is that it can only halt when it outputs an answer). There are algorithms for which this question cannot be answered.

Because scientific evidence is not always absolute whereas mathematical proof is

Oh no, evidence is always absolute. The question isn't the absoluteness of the evidence, but whether or not future evidence will arise that contradicts it. In other words, we can't make categorical statements concerning whether our models are correct, regardless of the evidence.

I know you know this, and that this was just a linguistic slip, but the rigour police are watching this thread...
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#27  Postby hackenslash » Sep 21, 2014 10:46 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:Philosophy is really a vast subject area, and is at its best when it asks questions about things that cannot [at least for the present] rely on empirical evidence to form a tentative conclusion. Of necessity, and indeed inclination, its deal with evidence-free models-models where there is no empirical falsifiability. It seeks to build self-consistent models. The lack of empirical verification may only be a temporary condition. A progress in methodology or technology may allow what was previously a question that could only be framed logically become one where empirical tests become available.
Philosophy can thus prepare a coherent narrative until such time an empirical test becomes viable. For example, whole of genome studies are now possible [cheaper methods and technology] , allowing scientific questions to be asked and answered about how the genomes of populations [or of at least statistically-valid sample means] behave over time.

:clap:
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#28  Postby surreptitious57 » Sep 21, 2014 11:35 am

hackenslash wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Because scientific evidence is not always absolute whereas mathematical proof is

evidence is always absolute. The question isn't the absoluteness of the evidence, but whether or not future evidence will arise that contradicts it. In other words, we can't make categorical statements concerning whether our models are correct regardless of the evidence

One could argue that if evidence can be contradicted then it cannot by definition be absolute but I see your point. However I would question your assertion that evidence is always absolute. What if it is ambiguous or incomplete ? [ I know I have asked this before but I cannot remember the answer ]
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#29  Postby hackenslash » Sep 21, 2014 11:52 am

surreptitious57 wrote:One could argue that if evidence can be contradicted then it cannot by definition be absolute but I see your point.

Evidence can't be contradicted. What can be contradicted is the conclusion we draw from said evidence. That's the problem of induction in a nutshell. We say that, given x evidence, hypothesis y is probably correct. The unspoken caveat is that a piece of evidence may be uncovered which categorically falsifies said hypothesis.

However I would question your assertion that evidence is always absolute. What if it is ambiguous or incomplete ? [ I know I have asked this before but I cannot remember the answer ]

Well, data can certainly be ambiguous in that they can stand as support for multiple hypotheses. What this results in is a group of hypotheses with empirical adequacy. This isn't ambiguity of evidence, though, it simply means that it isn't specifically evidence for any particular hypothesis over another. It stands as data that must be taken into account when formulating new hypotheses. Any new hypothesis that doesn't explain a given datum simply doesn't get off the ground, as long as said datum is relevant to the area of enquiry under review. That's how falsification works. If a given datum is not consonant with your hypothesis, your hypothesis is not correct. Remember Feynman.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby kennyc » Sep 21, 2014 11:55 am

hackenslash wrote:
kennyc wrote:It's been completely subsumed into other areas.

What other areas has it been subsumed into?

You make easily the most cretinous comments on this topic of anyone I've ever come across, and I've yet to see you defend any of them.

I do hope your response here isn't going to be the puerile cockery you delivered last time we interacted, when I challenged you on a factually incorrect statement, and your response before running away was 'drop the bullshit'.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby hackenslash » Sep 21, 2014 12:02 pm

Ah, so just the puerile cockery then. I'll leave you to your ignorance.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#32  Postby SpeedOfSound » Sep 21, 2014 12:07 pm

hackenslash wrote:Ah, so just the puerile cockery then. I'll leave you to your ignorance.

He's starting to remind me of grandpa just before we sent him to the 'home'.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#33  Postby surreptitious57 » Sep 21, 2014 12:18 pm

hackenslash wrote:
Any new hypothesis that doesn't explain a given datum simply doesn't get off the ground, long as said datum is relevant to the area of enquiry under review. That's how falsification works. If a given datum is not consonant with your hypothesis, your hypothesis is not correct. Remember Feynman

Untestable hypotheses are of course beyond the remit of science. But that does not mean that they are false just that they cannot be subject to empirical rigour. Also advances in both technology and knowledge can render ones that are untestable now to be testable in the future. Just as ones that are testable now were at some point untestable in the past
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#34  Postby hackenslash » Sep 21, 2014 12:44 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Untestable hypotheses are of course beyond the remit of science.

Errr, what? How does this relate to what I posted?

But that does not mean that they are false just that they cannot be subject to empirical rigour.

If it can't be subject to empirical rigour, it isn't a hypothesis.

Also advances in both technology and knowledge can render ones that are untestable now to be testable in the future. Just as ones that are testable now were at some point untestable in the past

This is true enough, but some statements are untestable even in principle, not merely in practice. We label such statements 'metaphysics'.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#35  Postby kennyc » Sep 21, 2014 9:06 pm

hackenslash wrote:Ah, so just the puerile cockery then. I'll leave you to your ignorance.

And you to yours. You might want to take a looks a Oldskeptics sig sometime as well.

:lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby kennyc » Sep 21, 2014 9:10 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:

He's starting to remind me of grandpa just before we sent him to the 'home'.

Well since we seem to be taking personal shots.....I'll just say I'm already at home thank you and feet firmly grounded in science and rational inquiry but you can carry on with your unsupported claims whatever they might be. :naughty2:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby hackenslash » Sep 21, 2014 10:25 pm

kennyc wrote:And you to yours. You might want to take a looks a Oldskeptics sig sometime as well.

Why, because it's got a beautiful argumentum ad verecundiam in it?

Really, dude. If you're not going to bring your A game, why bother?
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#38  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 22, 2014 12:32 am

hackenslash wrote:
This is true enough, but some statements are untestable even in principle, not merely in practice. We label such statements 'metaphysics'.

Now now Hack, you are being a bit naughty here. :naughty: :grin:
Certainly, a metaphysics that demands god[s] as a starting point is mere apologetics.
The testability of something can vary with time or circumstance. Suppose we get interstellar travel. Sometime later, the old Earth blows itself up in a nuke war or something. All the palaeontology has gone, the Earth has gone. Does this mean that the findings of Terran palaeontology are now invalid? My metaphysical claim is that no, Terran palaeontology would remain valid, even if I have no evidence to substantiate that beyond secondary records we took with us to the stars.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#39  Postby Dolorian » Sep 22, 2014 1:49 am

hackenslash wrote:To some degree, yes. It certainly helps elucidate science, but it's a double-edged sword, in that science also helps to elucidate philosophy. Philosophy, properly practised, begins with consistency. There are those hereabouts who think that's the end of the story, which is why you get such bollocks as firmly-held ontological conclusions. What they miss is what consistency is about. They think that logical consistency is sufficient to draw conclusions, but overlook the fact that logical tests aren't the only ones.

Right, I think that’s very much the reason why science seems to have an interesting interplay between the Coherence and Correspondence theories of truth. Scientific hypothesis and theories must indeed be internally consistent but they must also correspond with reality to be valid.

As far as science elucidating philosophy goes, I’d say that at the very least it should help keep it grounded, dealing with or parting from, the conclusions of science, while preventing it from venturing off into metaphysical wooland.

Many millions of words have been written on these topics by the denizens of this place, both here and on the forum from which this forum sprang, but it's fairly simple to distil it into a few phrases:

That which is consistent with every possible observation is unfalsifiable, and thus untestable.
That which is untestable is epistemologically without utility.
That which is without utility should be discarded.

Nice summary, no argument there.

Oh, and because kennyc posted while I was typing, pay no attention to him. He's the man trying to show you the man behind the curtain. There is no man behind the curtain, only more curtain, and he's talking shit. He thinks that philosophy has no value at all, which tells you all you need to know.

Hehe, yeah, thanks for the heads up. I am still getting to know the folks here :D
Dolorian

Male

Print view this post

#40  Postby Oldskeptic » Sep 22, 2014 1:51 am

hackenslash wrote:
kennyc wrote:And you to yours. You might want to take a looks a Oldskeptics sig sometime as well.

Why, because it's got a beautiful argumentum ad verecundiam in it?

Actually the two quotes in my sig are not meant as arguments. They're just two quotes by a couple of really smart guys that I happen to agree with. If I were to make arguments they would be in support of the individual quotes, and would not rest upon the authority of who came up with it.

That said, I find the area of philosophy such a jumbled fucked up mess that it is next to useless. An example of why I think this, and agree with Cicero, is that no matter the philosophical position it seems fairly easy to find some other philosopher/s to argue against it.

As for the Hawking quote; It pertains to questions that, in his and my opinion, pertain to things that could never be answered by philosophers, but can now be addressed by physics with at least the possibility of achieving good explanations grounded in evidence.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy