The Will to Knowledge

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The Will to Knowledge

#1  Postby jamest » Jun 01, 2017 12:30 am

We aspire to know everything, whether that be about the universe, ourselves, God, history, biology, anything. We want to know everything. Anything. We've even become experts in bullshit and bullshitting. Hence politics and crime.

Why is this? Is the will to absolute knowledge merely feeding our will to have absolute power? And why do we aspire to have either?

Of course, as most of you know I'm an idealist who thinks that God is expressed primarily through man, so I personally already have answers to these questions. I was just curious what the average atheist felt about the matter.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: The Will to Knowledge

#2  Postby scott1328 » Jun 01, 2017 12:42 am

jamest wrote:We aspire to know everything, whether that be about the universe, ourselves, God, history, biology, anything. We want to know everything. Anything. We've even become experts in bullshit and bullshitting. Hence politics and crime.

Why is this? Is the will to absolute knowledge merely feeding our will to have absolute power? And why do we aspire to have either?

Of course, as most of you know I'm an idealist who thinks that God is expressed primarily through man, so I personally already have answers to these questions. I was just curious what the average atheist felt about the matter.

Want do you mean "we" paleface?

This atypical atheist doesn't care to know everything.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby zerne » Jun 01, 2017 1:06 am

jamest wrote:We aspire to know everything...

I don't.

I don't even aspire to know everything currently knowable. Ain't nobody got time for that.
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby jamest » Jun 01, 2017 1:08 am

scott1328 wrote:
jamest wrote:We aspire to know everything, whether that be about the universe, ourselves, God, history, biology, anything. We want to know everything. Anything. We've even become experts in bullshit and bullshitting. Hence politics and crime.

Want do you mean "we" paleface?

This atypical atheist doesn't care to know everything.

We all, individually, seek that knowledge which might satisfy our worldly outlook. On a grander scale, as a species, we've sought knowledge of everything commensurate with the diversity of our outlooks. And some of us have outlooks which transcend 'me'.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 01, 2017 1:14 am

We are curious creatures by nature, it's beneficial for us to learn more about our environment. What this has to do with absolute power is anyone's guess.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Jun 01, 2017 1:16 am

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Fenrir » Jun 01, 2017 1:17 am

Some might even think imagination and curiousity were selected characters that made us the species we are instead of simple rhetorical tools for reinforcing preconceived notions and confirming our individual superiority, if only to ourselves.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#8  Postby jamest » Jun 01, 2017 1:19 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:We are curious creatures by nature, it's beneficial for us to learn more about our environment. What this has to do with absolute power is anyone's guess.

Please don't use the word 'nature' as though it were self-explanatory to a simpleton. And please don't reduce our desire to know everything to a desire to know everything about our physical environment. That's obviously not the case.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 01, 2017 1:35 am

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:We are curious creatures by nature, it's beneficial for us to learn more about our environment. What this has to do with absolute power is anyone's guess.

Please don't use the word 'nature' as though it were self-explanatory to a simpleton.

It is though. But I'm sure you're obliged to reduce the term to complete meaninglessness in an effort to pretend you don't know exactly what I'm saying.

And please don't reduce our desire to know everything to a desire to know everything about our physical environment. That's obviously not the case.

I didn't say our curiosity is always applied in useful ways, merely that it can be beneficial to us when applied to something useful. Obviously it isn't always applied in a useful way. Just look at the OP, for example.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby jamest » Jun 01, 2017 1:50 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:

Please don't use the word 'nature' as though it were self-explanatory to a simpleton.

It is though. But I'm sure you're obliged to reduce the term to complete meaninglessness in an effort to pretend you don't know exactly what I'm saying.

Have a word with yourself. Our 'nature' is obviously questionable. That's what fuels ontology and metyaphysics threads. Or weren't you aware of this fact?

And please don't reduce our desire to know everything to a desire to know everything about our physical environment. That's obviously not the case.

I didn't say our curiosity is always applied in useful ways, merely that it can be beneficial to us when applied to something useful. Obviously it isn't always applied in a useful way. Just look at the OP, for example.

Sounds as though you're as cocksure of what usefullness is as you are of our nature. In other words, you're beginning to sound like a cock. Again. Maybe something I say will dawn upon you one of these days and I'll wake you up.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 01, 2017 2:45 am

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:

Have a word with yourself. Our 'nature' is obviously questionable. That's what fuels ontology and metyaphysics threads. Or weren't you aware of this fact?

Us having curious natures isn't questionable, it's observable and demonstrable. You know, like a fact. The rest of your wibble, well, I already knew you didn't have any idea what a fact is. Just another thing to reduce to nigh-meaninglesness so it fits in with your 'philosophy'.

Sounds as though you're as cocksure of what usefullness is as you are of our nature. In other words, you're beginning to sound like a cock. Again. Maybe something I say will dawn upon you one of these days and I'll wake you up.

Usefulness can be demonstrated, and you've never demonstrated anything. Except for that cute thing where you bristle and try to act tough when someone pokes obvious holes in your half-baked ideas :lol:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby romansh » Jun 01, 2017 3:28 am

Agnostically speaking I would settle for a better [more accurate] under understanding rather than knowledge
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#13  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 01, 2017 9:04 am

I beg to difer. Crime is mainly a result of wanting money, not knowledge. If it was knowledge, all scientists would be criminals.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 01, 2017 9:33 am

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
jamest wrote:

You seem to have forgotten, once again, that assertionism =/= philosophy.
Not even adding 'it's obvious' to each assertion, helps.

jamest wrote:

Oh look, personalised infective, rather than actually adressing the point. How original. :roll:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Rumraket » Jun 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Knowledge is conducive to survival and reproduction. That is about as much a fact I think is needed to explain why we have a tendency to seek it.

Nevertheless, I don't fully buy into the idea that we all want to know everything and anything. I have had interactions with people who think some forms of knowledge, even if true, is worthless and inconsequential. Oddly enough, these people were deeply religious conservative christians. Go figure.

To be fair, I have had similar sentiments. Some things simply bore me to no end. Others repulse me and I have a hard time imagining wanting to truly "know" about them. To pick something out of a hat, I don't feel a need to know how some particular organic tissues smell at some particular stage of decomposition. Or to make it really visceral, I also don't want to know how it feels to rape a child (or be raped as a child). To put it mildly, there are some pieces of knowledge I really don't want at all, and if they were to be imparted on me would bring me great discomfort. Perhaps such cases are rare, but truly in those ignorance is bliss.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#16  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 02, 2017 12:21 am

DavidMcC wrote:

I beg to difer. Crime is mainly a result of wanting money, not knowledge. If it was knowledge, all scientists would be criminals.

They are.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby jamest » Jun 02, 2017 1:44 am

Rumraket wrote:

Knowledge is conducive to survival and reproduction. That is about as much a fact I think is needed to explain why we have a tendency to seek it.

What's conducive to survival and reproduction doesn't suffice as a reason for why we have those abilities in the first place, you numpty. It only suffices to explain why those abilities are useful. Have a fucking word.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#18  Postby ElDiablo » Jun 02, 2017 2:22 am

jamest wrote:We aspire to know everything,

A false premise as responses here show.

whether that be about the universe, ourselves, God, history, biology, anything. We want to know everything. Anything.

Followed by false supporting premises and conclusion.

We've even become experts in bullshit and bullshitting. Hence politics and crime.

Another unsubstantiated non sequitur with a non sequitur as a conclusion.

Why is this? Is the will to absolute knowledge merely feeding our will to have absolute power?

More non sequiturs. How do you get from knowledge to power, especially absolute power? What power do you speak of?

And why do we aspire to have either?

You haven't shown we aspire for either.

Of course, as most of you know I'm an idealist

Your argument above shows that. Lots of words no substance.

who thinks that God is expressed primarily through man,

Don't know what this means.

so I personally already have answers to these questions.

Why do you have to follow "I" with "personally"? Are they different to you? And by answers do you mean answers that work for you only or that work for everyone?

I was just curious what the average atheist felt about the matter.

A false statement. You just want to debate and ridicule the answers people provide.
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 02, 2017 2:36 am

jamest wrote:
Rumraket wrote:

What's conducive to survival and reproduction doesn't suffice as a reason for why we have those abilities in the first place, you numpty. It only suffices to explain why those abilities are useful. Have a fucking word.

You'd think someone who's been around here this long would have the first clue how evolution works. Guess not!
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby LucidFlight » Jun 02, 2017 6:47 am

I want to know what President Trump is having for dinner tonight.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Philosophy