To be haunted

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

To be haunted

#1  Postby jamest » Jan 20, 2018 1:16 am

I still have profound thoughts, or as most of you here think of them, crazy thoughts. Well, profound to me anyway wrt being an idealist.

I'm not often motivated to say much these days 'within these walls' but a thought occurred to me just within the last hour, so I thought I'd spew it out. It of course [given the topic title] revolves around the concept of being haunted.

... The notion of being haunted fundamentally hinges upon 'you' having to endure experiences from a 'different realm'. We use that notion, for instance, to state that we are haunted by our dreams, or even memories. Also, it is a reference to 'spirits/souls/etc'.. Certainly, without a doubt, the term 'haunting' is a reference to the 'non-existent'. This is applicable even if you're a materialist/physicalist, since it's akin to being introduced to Dickens' ghost of Xmas past in which nothing and nobody is as it was.

However, it's occurred to me tonight, albeit as an unpopular idealist, that from my perspective God is haunted by humans.

God, having to endure these billions of 'hauntings' on an unending basis, in which nothing and nobody is as it was. That's the absolute meaning of 'haunting', right there.

Regardless, the bottom-line is that the concept of being haunted - which we all are - means that 'we' transcend the physical and the moment. Hence, 'we' transcend the material realm including time itself.

I'm of course posting this thread in the interests of selling robes and sandals. If you don't like that, then fuck off. I'm looking for the gullible amongst you.
They came, they saw, they concurred.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: To be haunted

#2  Postby jamest » Jan 20, 2018 1:43 am

We can of course, if you prefer, talk instead about the concept of being haunted to the extent that we'd pack bombs in our rucksacks to make sure that our own dreams prevail. Hence, turn towards the ghost of Xmas future. Whatever floats your boat. On a personal level, there's few dreams left. I'm also finding it hard to imagine that 7 billion people will buy a robe that nobody else has. I'm just chewing the fat, before the fat chews me up entirely.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 20, 2018 2:28 am

I've taken great pleasure in reading your posts over the years. I'm honestly having a hard time believing you're serious this time.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Jan 20, 2018 3:29 am

I've always held that God has the shittiest job in the universe.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby felltoearth » Jan 20, 2018 4:41 am

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby felltoearth » Jan 20, 2018 4:44 am

So we're the product of god's paranoid mind. Makes sense.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mike_L » Jan 20, 2018 8:34 am

jamest wrote:...we are haunted by our dreams...

Especially by the ones unfulfilled. :nod:

...or even memories.

Those perhaps more than anything else. :nod:

jamest wrote:However, it's occurred to me tonight, albeit as an unpopular idealist, that from my perspective God is haunted by humans.

The cynic and the melancholic would probably point to the preponderance of suffering among generation after generation of humans as evidence that God lacks the capacity to be haunted by them. :think:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby LucidFlight » Jan 20, 2018 4:09 pm

That would be quite a spooky existence, to be haunted by the minds, thoughts, and memories of billions of sentient individuals. An excellent idea for an episode of Black Mirror, I would proffer.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Luv
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Jan 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Well, not ALL sentient individuals. Only the Christian ground apes. All the others can go pound sand.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby jamest » Jan 23, 2018 1:20 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:I've taken great pleasure in reading your posts over the years. I'm honestly having a hard time believing you're serious this time.

I was being serious to be honest, though these days I have a totally different attitude which only older members might recognise.

I don't believe for a second that you've enjoyed reading my posts. You've just enjoyed the extended opportunity to laugh at theists, including me, and that reflects our relationship thus far.

To be honest, I think that you find joy in my attitude. And, to be honest, I've been the same. For instance, my favourite English Monarch is Henry VIII. I cannot get enough of learning about him and Tudor history [generally] right now. You cannot better Tudor history in England and even the world {I would guess} in terms of the philosophical/emotional effects it will impart upon you. I've just recently watched documentaries about Lady Jane Grey, for instance, who was the Queen of England for less than a fortnight, and it's a hundred times more fascinating [politically, etc.], than any shit Trump can trump.

I've learnt that life is a school. I'm lucky to being living in an age that enables me to know about Henry VIII and tossers like Trump, not least all-between. Shakespeare said that life is a stage, and I agree. What he failed to mention was that the actors did not know. They [therefore] parrot the lines of their parents/culture. Blah.

The actors/actresses do not know who they are.

Best wishes to you. I like you, even though you give me a hard time.Though it hardly matters [from my perspective], since I dislike no cnut here. Even the cnuts who dislike me. Being given a hard time has never been a problem for me. At some point, one of you cnuts will understand why. Hopefully.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby jamest » Jan 23, 2018 1:52 am

So yes, as an idealist, my thinking is that the concept of being haunted can have NO meaning except in absolute terms, such that God is haunted by humanity.

The [experience of the] World is God's nightmare. Waking-up entails more than having a coffee.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 23, 2018 6:48 am

jamest wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:I've taken great pleasure in reading your posts over the years. I'm honestly having a hard time believing you're serious this time.

I was being serious to be honest, though these days I have a totally different attitude which only older members might recognise.

I don't believe for a second that you've enjoyed reading my posts. You've just enjoyed the extended opportunity to laugh at theists, including me, and that reflects our relationship thus far.

I'm not sure why you think that means I haven't enjoyed reading your posts. I don't even think you're a theist, at least not one that pretty much any other theist would recognize. My uncle is an atheist, and he also holds ridiculous views about how the Muslims are out to get him, views about government and media conspiracies. I enjoy the opportunity to laugh at ridiculous views, period.

To be honest, I think that you find joy in my attitude.

Of course I do. It's one of the zaniest attitudes I've ever read. When so much of my life is spent questioning and doubting, I will always wonder how there can be people who act as if their every proclamation is pearls before swine.

Best wishes to you. I like you, even though you give me a hard time.Though it hardly matters [from my perspective], since I dislike no cnut here. Even the cnuts who dislike me. Being given a hard time has never been a problem for me. At some point, one of you cnuts will understand why. Hopefully.

I don't think it's all that tough to understand why you pretend to not dislike anyone and claim that you aren't at all bothered by your reception here.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Fallible » Jan 23, 2018 6:57 am

Shakespeare didn't say life is a stage.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 23, 2018 7:03 am

I find my usual reception here and at thethinkingatheist forum (check the comments in my rep section if anybody fancies a laugh) mildly depressing but I try to remember what my stepdad told me over Christmas - "Fora are not populated by winners, for the most part." When people take issue with me for no reason my reaction these days is generally "oh dear - another moron" and that's about it. Jamest probably feels roughly the same imo.
Once one accepts one has to have an imperfect life, one need no longer strive to be the best/have the best/PWN the world.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Fallible » Jan 23, 2018 7:07 am

I think most people have the same thought, which basically means there's nothing to separate you from the morons.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Thommo » Jan 23, 2018 7:58 am

Fallible wrote:Shakespeare didn't say life is a stage.

Although you do grow out of it!
Thommo

Print view this post

#17  Postby LucidFlight » Jan 23, 2018 8:07 am

To an idealist, life is the world. Without life, there would be no world to observe. There would be no sentient individuals for God to orchestrate a reality for. No sentient beings to discover the observed history of Henry VIII.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Luv
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Fallible » Jan 23, 2018 8:07 am

Thommo wrote:
Fallible wrote:Shakespeare didn't say life is a stage.

Although you do grow out of it!

Badoom-tsh!
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Fallible » Jan 23, 2018 8:10 am

LucidFlight wrote:To an idealist, life is the world. Without life, there would be no world to observe. There would be no sentient individuals for God to orchestrate a reality for. No sentient beings to discover the observed history of Henry VIII.

I just meant the plays were written by Elizabeth I. :teef:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby BlackBart » Jan 24, 2018 3:03 am

I would have thought jamest's favourite English monarch would have been Cnut the Great. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Philosophy