We're all slaves

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

We're all slaves

#1  Postby Raliegh Marsden » Oct 01, 2010 3:29 pm

"Just look at us. Everything is backwards. Everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the major media destroy information, and religion destroys spirituality".

- Michael Ellner

We're all slaves. Yes, you too. No matter who you are.

We live in a system which is deliberately designed to enslave us. Look around. All you see is people following the norms of socisety, doing what they're told, conforming. Everyone has the same opinions, based on the same media soundbites, they wear the same kind of clothes, listen to the same kind of music, and eat the same kind of food. The sole objective of the average person has become to clock in, work work work, then clock out, pay bills and taxes, and then die. This is how the system is designed. The education system is designed to keep humanity in line with the agenda of conformity, and to train people to become mere regurtitators of the norm. Most of what is taught in schools is useless and irrelevant. Every aspect of society, on every level, is designed to ensure that humanity is kept in line.
Consciousness is one of the great problems facing science...most scientists cannot even define it, let alone explain it. Professor Michio Kaku.

Where is there evidence that people are at their very best when they are challenged-Oldskeptic
Raliegh Marsden
Banned Troll

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: We're all slaves

#2  Postby maik » Oct 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Every system tends to make the subjects within it slaves. If the objective, the purpose, is the system and its stability, then a certain amount of oppression is exercised on the subjects. This amount changes according to conditions.
If we assume that the objective is the human being and its freedom, then we will make a system that won't enslave the person. Which means that we won't be having a system really, because it will be so changeable (in order not to oppress the individual) that there won't be a stability to define the system's functions.
I guess the ideal is somewhere in the middle. A system that is flexible; something that people will serve and when they have enough of serving it- when they will feel too oppressed by the system- then, there will be some function within it that will allow it to adjust, to change shape and, ultimately, be reformed to a new system, that will fit the occasion.
ΜΙΧΑΛΗΣ Δ.
maik

Name: Μιχαήλ
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Tbickle » Oct 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Raliegh Marsden wrote:"Just look at us. Everything is backwards. Everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the major media destroy information, and religion destroys spirituality".

- Michael Ellner

We're all slaves. Yes, you too. No matter who you are.

We live in a system which is deliberately designed to enslave us. Look around. All you see is people following the norms of socisety, doing what they're told, conforming. Everyone has the same opinions, based on the same media soundbites, they wear the same kind of clothes, listen to the same kind of music, and eat the same kind of food. The sole objective of the average person has become to clock in, work work work, then clock out, pay bills and taxes, and then die. This is how the system is designed. The education system is designed to keep humanity in line with the agenda of conformity, and to train people to become mere regurtitators of the norm. Most of what is taught in schools is useless and irrelevant. Every aspect of society, on every level, is designed to ensure that humanity is kept in line.

Who designed this system? What is taught in school isn't useless and irrelevant?
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Raliegh Marsden » Oct 01, 2010 3:43 pm

They designed it.
Consciousness is one of the great problems facing science...most scientists cannot even define it, let alone explain it. Professor Michio Kaku.

Where is there evidence that people are at their very best when they are challenged-Oldskeptic
Raliegh Marsden
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#5  Postby maik » Oct 01, 2010 3:45 pm

They...?
ΜΙΧΑΛΗΣ Δ.
maik

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby katja z » Oct 01, 2010 3:47 pm

^^ The ones who aren't slaves, presumably. I wonder where they have suddenly come from, given that RM says that we are all slaves.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby natselrox » Oct 01, 2010 3:49 pm

Sex slaves of Megan Fox. That's what all of us are. :waah:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby chairman bill » Oct 01, 2010 3:51 pm

They? Time for RM to don that turquoise shell-suit & foil-lined hat
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby katja z » Oct 01, 2010 3:52 pm

natselrox wrote:Sex slaves of Megan Fox. That's what all of us are. :waah:

That was a majestic plural, right?
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby natselrox » Oct 01, 2010 3:54 pm

katja z wrote:
natselrox wrote:Sex slaves of Megan Fox. That's what all of us are. :waah:

That was a majestic plural, right?

I wish... :(
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#11  Postby jamest » Oct 01, 2010 3:54 pm

It's a given that we're all slaves to the systems/societies within which we find ourselves immersed. The only way to escape then, it seems, is to head off to 'the wilds' and live off the land. But it seems that our ancient forebears didn't like being a slave to nature, either, which is why and how societies began to evolve.

It's not logically possible to escape being a slave to something or other, unless your name is 'Jehovah'. Is there a purpose to this thread, then, other than trying to make us feel sad about our lives?

P.S. this should really be in the philosophy forum.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Raliegh Marsden » Oct 01, 2010 3:55 pm

What I'm saying is that we literally are slaves. It's an elaborate and subtle system designed to make us feel like we're free when really we're not.

Raliegh Marsden
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#13  Postby z8000783 » Oct 01, 2010 3:57 pm

What would life be like if we weren't slaves?

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Tbickle » Oct 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Raliegh Marsden wrote:What I'm saying is that we literally are slaves. It's an elaborate and subtle system designed to make us feel like we're free when really we're not.

Who designed it??
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Raliegh Marsden » Oct 01, 2010 3:58 pm

z8000783 wrote:What would life be like if we weren't slaves?

John

We would be free. If you don't know what free looks like, then you're a slave.

Raliegh Marsden
Banned Troll

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby z8000783 » Oct 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Perhaps you could describe some of the characteristics of 'being free', for me.

John
Last edited by z8000783 on Oct 01, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby HomerJay » Oct 01, 2010 4:01 pm

Some of us are masters, some slaves.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby maik » Oct 01, 2010 4:03 pm

z8000783 wrote:Perhaps you could describe some of the characteristics of being free for me.

John

He said that "If you don't know what free looks like, then you're a slave". And he said that we are all slaves. So no one knows what free looks like.
So how we'll know freedom when we see it? (the question goes to RM, not to z8000783)
ΜΙΧΑΛΗΣ Δ.
maik

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19  Postby jamest » Oct 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Raliegh Marsden wrote:
z8000783 wrote:What would life be like if we weren't slaves?

John

We would be free. If you don't know what free looks like, then you're a slave.

Are you 'free', then?

If so, then unless you live in a library, I must assume that you have acquired a pc without having to pay for it...and are using electric and a phone-line and the services of an IP - without paying for them. The problem, however, of utilising a system without paying for it, is that they tend to lock you up for it. Oops, bang goes yer freedom. ;)

As I said, true freedom does not exist, except for God.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#20  Postby maik » Oct 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Freedom exists. All it takes is for you and your partner to do all the tests for all the deseases possible and, once you verify that you are both fine, you are literally absolutely free to do whatever the f**k you want.
ΜΙΧΑΛΗΣ Δ.
maik

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities