What makes the Social Sciences scientific?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

What makes the Social Sciences scientific?

#1  Postby OrdinaryClay » Oct 24, 2012 8:25 pm

What makes the Social Sciences scientific? It seems the only thing that makes social science a science is the mathematics of statistics and probability.
OrdinaryClay

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: What makes the Social Sciences scientific?

#2  Postby Clive Durdle » Oct 24, 2012 10:02 pm

Who says they are? I have a social studies degree in Arts.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby ramseyoptom » Oct 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Social Scientists want respectability, and this is what they get by using the word science. Mostly it is the equivalent of using seaweed to forecast the weather, just not as accurate. :)
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

#4  Postby VazScep » Oct 24, 2012 10:50 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:Who says they are? I have a social studies degree in Arts.
I win. I have a maths degree in Arts.

I then went into computer science, which is an oxymoron worthy of hacker humour.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Oct 24, 2012 11:20 pm

Where social science can provide hypothesis, deduce what the necessary implications of that hypothesis would be, then measure or experiment to see if observation matches that, it is science.

So yes, there is plenty of science in social science.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Rumraket » Jun 06, 2017 5:53 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Where social science can provide hypothesis, deduce what the necessary implications of that hypothesis would be, then measure or experiment to see if observation matches that, it is science.

Pretty much this.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#7  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 06, 2017 6:23 pm

If they apply the scientific method to their studies, what they're doing is science. They're just applying it to a field outside of science like politics.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 06, 2017 7:02 pm

Rumraket wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:Where social science can provide hypothesis, deduce what the necessary implications of that hypothesis would be, then measure or experiment to see if observation matches that, it is science.

Pretty much this.

Waiting on examples... waiting... waiting... waiting... connection timed out.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 06, 2017 7:11 pm

:this:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 06, 2017 7:22 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

:this:

Anybody can have an opinion, Thomas. When you support it with some data, then it might become something more. I don't doubt that you'll try, given a little push.

Poverty is correlated with malnutrition in children. Suicide bombers are frequently influenced by Wahhabist Islamic ideology. Who knew? When you can say how it happens, then you'll have some science. In both cases I cite, the hypothesis turns out to be what you can back out of the data.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Anyone can troll Cito. When you actually put some effort into, it might actually become something more. I doubt that you'll try since your other troll posts these past months haven't been particularly sophisticated either.

Also you seem to be unaware that science works exactly as you just described: a theory is derived out of the available data.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby VazScep » Jun 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Also you seem to be unaware that science works exactly as you just described: a theory is derived out of the available data.
I'll join in by asking for examples.

It's not that I don't believe that there aren't examples. It's just that I think science is more nuanced than this, and the quality of scientific research is to be found in the details, not in a single sentence summary of the slogan "Scientific Method."

I anticipate a semantic quibble over the difference between science and shit science. I don't really care about that quibble, since I don't think scientific aspiration is a good thing if you're doomed to end up with shit, and I've already criticised my own field on this matter.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby tuco » Jun 06, 2017 9:10 pm

Quality of scientific research, as in: how precise predictions of a theory are?
tuco

Print view this post

#14  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 06, 2017 10:13 pm

tuco wrote:Quality of scientific research, as in: how precise predictions of a theory are?

I know it doesn't help much to say that quality research is that which people don't have to keep repeating because they're not sure they got it right the last time. The predictions of climate science are somewhat imprecise, and we know why, but we don't have to keep collecting sea-bottom cores from the same site to get a series of data points for sea-surface temperatures during the Miocene. Instead, we want cores from as many localities as we're willing to pay for. Crappy research is full of confounders that its authors never considered, leaving them for future readers to discover, in effect forcing us to pay twice (or more) for the same data points.

Should we keep collecting data on Miocene sea surface temperatures if our climate models are not going to be improved thereby? Even though the research is of 'high quality'? It costs a lot of shekels to send an RV (research vessels are not recreational vehicles) out to sea. What's preventing our climate models from getting better? Can social scientists help us out?

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#15  Postby tuco » Jun 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Its like asking if astrophysicists can help with digital marketing, in other words cool story bro.

To me it comes down to strength of prediction, for a theory and also science, unless someone will convince me otherwise which is not likely.

Scientific makes social sciences the scientific method, this is definition. What makes them so called soft sciences is weakness of predictions and questionable interpretations.

What is the big question here?
tuco

Print view this post

#16  Postby Rumraket » Jun 13, 2017 8:35 am

tuco wrote:Its like asking if astrophysicists can help with digital marketing, in other words cool story bro.

To me it comes down to strength of prediction, for a theory and also science, unless someone will convince me otherwise which is not likely.

Scientific makes social sciences the scientific method, this is definition. What makes them so called soft sciences is weakness of predictions and questionable interpretations.

What is the big question here?

trolledthoroughly.png
trolledthoroughly.png (61.54 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#17  Postby Norsely » Jun 17, 2017 4:10 pm

The social sciences are constantly seeking good ways to measure behaviors and decision making - good design, strong predictive values, reversely engineerable, etc. - since that's what we're talking about here. The last I checked, some of the most interesting attempts toward the lofty goal of normalizing social behaviors into mathematically precise work are being made by people like the Wolfram people, santafe.edu, and Bruce Bueno de Mesquita; rather than playing grab-ass with anecdotal or insufficiently persuasive examples, there's a short list of people and research groups with which to become familiar, and so impress the living bejeezus out of the next social scientist you chat up at a cocktail party.
Norsely

Name: Jonathan Eells

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 18, 2017 6:40 am

Norsely wrote:The social sciences are constantly seeking good ways to measure behaviors and decision making - good design, strong predictive values, reversely engineerable, etc. - since that's what we're talking about here. The last I checked, some of the most interesting attempts toward the lofty goal of normalizing social behaviors into mathematically precise work are being made by people like the Wolfram people, santafe.edu, and Bruce Bueno de Mesquita; rather than playing grab-ass with anecdotal or insufficiently persuasive examples, there's a short list of people and research groups with which to become familiar, and so impress the living bejeezus out of the next social scientist you chat up at a cocktail party.

That's the dilemma of the social sciences: Drawing conclusions that are general enough to be considered 'scientific', one finds that the conclusions don't apply to anyone in particular. When you try to point out who in particular is described, you have to listen to stories about exceptional cases, until you find out that everyone's a special snowflake. But you already knew that, didn't you?

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#19  Postby scott1328 » Jun 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Same problem with Boyle's Law. And we all know how useless that is.

:roll:
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Peavey » Aug 18, 2018 3:37 am

Wishful thinking. I say this as someone who majored in history and sociology. :lol:
Peavey

Print view this post

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities