Who should get my resources?

My dog, or some random kid?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Who should get my resources?

#41  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Nov 13, 2014 2:22 am

Fallible wrote:I also don't agree that companionship is a luxury.

Imho, that is as much of a need as food and shelter.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Loren Michael » Nov 13, 2014 7:44 am

this reminds me of a recent (earlier this year) campaign on the local social network regarding a 4-year-old kid in Canada who "after many chemotherapy treatments X's family have spent a fortune on his medical treatment. The doctors have said that Matthew has a 30% chance of survival. As long as there is still hope, X's parents won't give up the fight. In order to continue treatment we need to rely on everyone's support..." etc

my first thought was that the kid is probably doomed and that the money should go toward something that will have a lot of impact rather than something that will have a little impact at best
Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#43  Postby trubble76 » Nov 16, 2014 3:22 pm

The most difficult thing is being honest to yourself and accepting the consequences of doing so. For example, having given this situation some thought and trying to put myself in your shoes, I have to admit to myself that I care more about a dog that I consider part of my family than I care about a kid that isn't part of my family. The consequence of this is that I must face the very real possibility that I'm an unrelenting arsehole without a moral bone in my body. This though is my choice, this is what makes me me, warts and all. My family is likely to come first, even the non-human members. As with all hypotheticals though, the actual result may be different when tested for real though.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Blip » Nov 16, 2014 5:11 pm

trubble76 wrote:The most difficult thing is being honest to yourself and accepting the consequences of doing so. For example, having given this situation some thought and trying to put myself in your shoes, I have to admit to myself that I care more about a dog that I consider part of my family than I care about a kid that isn't part of my family. The consequence of this is that I must face the very real possibility that I'm an unrelenting arsehole without a moral bone in my body. This though is my choice, this is what makes me me, warts and all. My family is likely to come first, even the non-human members. As with all hypotheticals though, the actual result may be different when tested for real though.

You what, trubble? I certainly care most about those who depend on me for their welfare, regardless of species: that's my job as a responsible moral being.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Fallible » Nov 16, 2014 5:17 pm

That seems rather simplistic and I suspect unlikely to be true, and if it were true I would think it rather strange. For example I have a dog which depends on me for its welfare which I care about a lot, but I don't care more about it than I do my husband who could take care of himself without me.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#46  Postby trubble76 » Nov 16, 2014 5:28 pm

Blip wrote:
trubble76 wrote:The most difficult thing is being honest to yourself and accepting the consequences of doing so. For example, having given this situation some thought and trying to put myself in your shoes, I have to admit to myself that I care more about a dog that I consider part of my family than I care about a kid that isn't part of my family. The consequence of this is that I must face the very real possibility that I'm an unrelenting arsehole without a moral bone in my body. This though is my choice, this is what makes me me, warts and all. My family is likely to come first, even the non-human members. As with all hypotheticals though, the actual result may be different when tested for real though.

You what, trubble? I certainly care most about those who depend on me for their welfare, regardless of species: that's my job as a responsible moral being.

You don't think it controversial to say that I'd rather save my dog than a human child? Fair enough. In most people's moral arithmetic, I would guess a human child would trump a dog but I might be wrong.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Blip » Nov 17, 2014 9:14 am

trubble76 wrote:
You don't think it controversial to say that I'd rather save my dog than a human child? Fair enough. In most people's moral arithmetic, I would guess a human child would trump a dog but I might be wrong.

You wrote, inter alia (I don't think I quote mine you): 'I have to admit to myself that I care more about a dog that I consider part of my family than I care about a kid that isn't part of my family.' I feel the same way; I don't find it controversial at all.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities