Who would like to review my research proposal?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Who would like to review my research proposal?

#1  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 05, 2012 7:01 pm

We don't have a subforum for academic work.

I am enrolled in graduate school working towards a Master of Science degree. As such, I have a research proposal I'm writing as part of my course, Practical Research, Planning and Design. We're to use the APA publication manual, sixth edition, as a style guide.

My research proposal is about investigating the comparative effects of multicast IPTV to internet based video on demand, on my campus LAN.

Are there any people here who would be willing to have a look at my work, and get their red pens going?
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Who would like to review my research proposal?

#2  Postby cavarka9 » Feb 05, 2012 7:10 pm

i would like to read but I dont know much about the work. Hopefully someone else.
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#3  Postby theropod » Feb 05, 2012 7:17 pm

I wish I could do stuff like this. Anyone want to let me run a foundation for them?

Good luck The_Metatron.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Mazille » Feb 05, 2012 7:27 pm

I've done that for pay before. Proof-reading studies, checking for errors in APA style, grammar, etc. How long is your proposal? Maybe I can squeeze it in, if you want me to. Also, I can't help you on the subject matter itself. I don't know enough IT to be much good there.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#5  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 12, 2012 10:45 am

Here is my first part of a research proposal, as I got it from the professor:
The_Metatron_as_received.doc
This is as I got it back from the professor.
(41.5 KiB) Downloaded 208 times

I have two issues with his remarks.

First, his universal condemnation of passive voice is incorrect. I found references in both the sixth edition of the APA's Publication Manual, and in the third edition of Strunk and White's The elements of Style, that are pretty clear that passive voice has a place when the object of the sentence is the focus, not the actor. The professor refuses to admit this.

Secondly, he commented to me that I need more references. How many more? Why? He didn't say, in a lengthy e-mail conversation about it. Just "more". I maintain that it is the quality and accuracy of a source that I use as a reference that matters, not how many references I pick from. Particularly in my line of work. These communications protocols are not matters of opinion, nor are they subjective. There is no point in referencing a half dozen different sources to tell how IP multicasting works when they all say the same fucking thing.

So, what do I do? Stick to my guns and fight this guy? I'd be right, but my grade would reflect the disagreement. The professor has made it very plain that he's not about to change his views. What the fuck do I know, eh? No, what I think I will do is simply comply. Use more references. Make the necessarily passive voice into active voice. In six weeks this guy won't matter, and I will still have learned what I needed to know. In spite of him.

This is what I intend to include in my course critique to the college. It is only here where I can hope to have an effect on this guy.

In that light, here is what I have so far:

The_Metatron_Working_copy.doc
Here it is after I've had some more time with it.
(49.5 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

If anyone wants to give it a look, I'd be thankful.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities