Why are some men so threatened by women

entering male-dominated fields?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#41  Postby Animavore » Oct 07, 2016 11:02 am

As a guy who has been left shaking and stuttering by highly attractive women on some occasions, I can tell you that men can be threatened by women.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 39168
Age: 39
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#42  Postby Doubtdispelled » Oct 07, 2016 11:11 am

Animavore wrote:As a guy who has been left shaking and stuttering by highly attractive women on some occasions, I can tell you that men can be threatened by women.


Yeah, but you don't then turn around and call them filthy bitches who ought to be raped because they made you feel bad like some guys do, now do you, Ani?

Have a hug. :hug:
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled
 
Posts: 11744

Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#43  Postby Animavore » Oct 07, 2016 11:28 am

Doubtdispelled wrote:
Animavore wrote:As a guy who has been left shaking and stuttering by highly attractive women on some occasions, I can tell you that men can be threatened by women.


Yeah, but you don't then turn around and call them filthy bitches who ought to be raped because they made you feel bad like some guys do, now do you, Ani?

Have a hug. :hug:


No, I tend to wish the ground would swallow me up, and proceed to beat myself up for days after. All my frustration goes inwards. I see no sense in blaming others for your own failings, real or imagined.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 39168
Age: 39
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#44  Postby Bernoulli » Oct 07, 2016 12:59 pm

pelfdaddy wrote:Men are not threatened by women. Period.

I have never met a man who is.

I cannot imagine what the experience of feeling threatened by a woman would be like.

This phenomenon does not exist.


That's so true, because women are weak. Yeah?
User avatar
Bernoulli
Banned Sockpuppet
 
Posts: 901

Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#45  Postby Scarlett » Oct 07, 2016 1:04 pm

:what:
"The stupid bitch"

" ..the Scottish bitch.."

" Too much PC and stupid women."

"..Paula (who still thinks she is the forum pin-up)."


Prize for guessing who? :naughty2:
User avatar
Scarlett
 
Posts: 16046
Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#46  Postby pelfdaddy » Oct 07, 2016 1:37 pm

I guess I am in real trouble with my friends here in the lifeboat. Maybe I just see this whole "men threatened by women" notion as a cultural meme left over from the seventies.

Some feminists, advocating for equality, were promoting a worthy cause, and could have based their arguments on the merits. BUt instead, they resorted to ad hominem provocation, saying "Men won't let women into their little clubs because they're scared".

It has been repeated so often that you're not allowed to say it's not true. Even here.
pelfdaddy
 
Posts: 955
Age: 51
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#47  Postby Evolving » Oct 07, 2016 2:05 pm

It would be a logically unassailable position to take, to say that – for instance – women are not very good at sport and it’s therefore not worth your time watching them doing it. If that’s what someone thinks, that’s fine: they don’t have to watch women’s sports.

It’s a more dubious position to argue that therefore – for instance – the BBC shouldn’t be wasting licencepayers’ money by covering women’s sports, because “what is newsworthy” is not the same thing as “what one particular person enjoys seeing”. It’s a dubious position, but one that I think can be dealt with by argument.

But what gives the game away, I think, is the appalling extremeness, the vindictiveness of some of the misogyny. If you think a group of people is a bit ridiculous and not worthy of your time, do you pour such vitriol on them? Or do you do it because you feel threatened when that group of people gets uppity?

Bearing in mind that the thread is not about feeling threatened by “a woman”, but “by women entering male-dominated fields”.

(Note: the word "you" in this post doesn't mean "pelfdaddy".)
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
User avatar
Evolving
 
Name: Serafina Pekkala
Posts: 10905

Country: United Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#48  Postby Fallible » Oct 07, 2016 2:09 pm

The fact that someone once was mistaken about a robbery having happened does not mean that no robberies have ever happened.

The fact that someone mendaciously claimed that Geoff was upset when the Tory party was criticised does not mean that no one has ever got upset when the Tory party was criticised.

The fact that some people have resorted to ad hominem provocation, saying 'men won't let women into their little clubs because they're scared', does not mean that no men feel threatened by women - that the phenomenon does not exist.
Last edited by Fallible on Oct 07, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 44347
Age: 44
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#49  Postby Doubtdispelled » Oct 07, 2016 2:10 pm

pelfdaddy wrote:Maybe I just see this whole "men threatened by women" notion as a cultural meme left over from the seventies.


The seventies!!

:rofl:

Let me introduce you to Phyllis and Aristotle....

http://dhayton.haverford.edu/blog/2016/ ... aristotle/

The point of this exemplum seems to have been to warn men of the threatening power of women. If even the wise and most learned Aristotle could be reduced to a rude animal by lust and the wiles of a woman, how much more would lesser men suffer. Initially the story probably reinforced other exempla that illustrated similar ideas, e.g., Adam and Eve, Samson and Delilah.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled
 
Posts: 11744

Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#50  Postby pelfdaddy » Oct 07, 2016 2:58 pm

I hope I am not perceived as negligent for tossing a grenade and diving for cover. I am at work right now, and cannot quickly respond to multiple comments. I do wish to address a couple of things, though:

I am not arguing from incredulity. I said I thought the premise was simply mistaken, and then added the comment that I have no idea what feeling threatened by a woman would be like. I just do not see it as a real thing.

And I did not say that the concept was invented in the seventies, only that it seems to have been repeated since that time, so often that it has become scripture for many. By scripture, I mean: receive liberal wisdom.

In the many problematic areas that include male and female interaction, can no one think of alternatives to the received liberal wisdom that women constitute a threat? Really?
pelfdaddy
 
Posts: 955
Age: 51
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#51  Postby Doubtdispelled » Oct 07, 2016 3:15 pm

pelfdaddy wrote:
In the many problematic areas that include male and female interaction, can no one think of alternatives to the received liberal wisdom that women constitute a threat? Really?


Ahem....

Doubtdispelled wrote:
pelfdaddy wrote:It's a fun question to think about really............................

[snip the bit about the perceived 'threat' coming from the men 'in power', because they are traditionally the ones who seem to feel the most threatened :lol: ]

But the OP is not even talking about primitive cultures. The question seems to be along the lines of, why do modern men in our own relatively advanced culture perceive women to be a threat? Thousands of paragraphs could be spent in the exploration of "why" men sometimes resist what women would think of as an even playing field, but I just don't think that "threat" is a part of it.


Oooh, I for one would like to see some of these paragraphs, the ones which demonstrate a total lack any kind of perceived 'threat' as a reason for such resistance. Should make for really interesting, and possibly enlightening, reading.

pelfdaddy wrote:
An inability to list many other sources of the problem having nothing to do with a perceived threat seems to be a result of not trying very hard.


You write as though it wouldn't be hard for you though, so off you go.

:coffee:


The onus really is on you to prove your point. Why are you trying to get others to do it for you?

Could it possibly be because you got nothin'?

;)
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled
 
Posts: 11744

Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#52  Postby Fallible » Oct 07, 2016 3:40 pm

pelfdaddy wrote:I hope I am not perceived as negligent for tossing a grenade and diving for cover. I am at work right now, and cannot quickly respond to multiple comments. I do wish to address a couple of things, though:

I am not arguing from incredulity. I said I thought the premise was simply mistaken, and then added the comment that I have no idea what feeling threatened by a woman would be like. I just do not see it as a real thing.


That isn't what you said. You said 'this phenomenon does not exist', and the evidence you provided for this claim was that you have never met a man who is threatened by women, and you cannot imagine what that would be like. You made a clear claim about the existence of a phenomenon based on nothing but your disbelief that it exists. This is a classic argument from incredulity, or appeal to ignorance - something is not so because you have not seen it, or cannot see how it could happen.

And I did not say that the concept was invented in the seventies, only that it seems to have been repeated since that time, so often that it has become scripture for many. By scripture, I mean: receive liberal wisdom.

In the many problematic areas that include male and female interaction, can no one think of alternatives to the received liberal wisdom that women constitute a threat? Really?


This is a straw man argument. No one has tried to claim that there are no alternatives. It is true that there are alternatives, but this still leaves you with the work of showing that because there are alternatives, the phenomenon does not exist.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 44347
Age: 44
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#53  Postby Alan B » Oct 07, 2016 4:14 pm

New Scientist
Men are more violent when there are more women around

More men inevitably means more testosterone-fuelled violence, right? Wrong, according to a comprehensive analysis exploring how a surplus of men or women affect crime rates across the US.

In areas where men outnumber women, there were lower rates of murders and assaults as well as fewer sex-related crimes, such as rapes, sex offences and prostitution. Conversely, higher rates of these crimes occurred in areas where there were more women than men.
...
According to Schacht, when women are in short supply, men must be more dutiful to win and retain a partner. With an abundance of women, men are spoilt for choice and adopt more promiscuous behaviour that brings them into conflict with other men, and more likely to commit sex-related offences.

“When women are rare they become a valued resource and this gives them more bargaining power over what they expect from a relationship,” says Schacht. “But when women are abundant, men become less committed to single partners and more interested in pursuing multiple relationships,” he says. “This brings men into conflict with each other in response to their more uncommitted, promiscuous mating orientation.”

The upshot, says Schacht, is that men alter their behaviour to suit conditions of “supply and demand”. “In some situations they will be much better behaved, and in others they will be much more prone to nasty behaviour,” he says.

/continues...
This had not occurred to me - at all.

I've started a thread on this topic here.
Last edited by Alan B on Oct 08, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 8501
Age: 81
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#54  Postby tuco » Oct 07, 2016 4:19 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:So how do you account for behaviour like deliberately attacking women's football purely on the grounds that it's played by women?


I dunno .. idiocy? Idiots are everywhere.

From OP:

This is just two days after I read the comments on a story about women's football, with a large number of people angry that it's even being covered as a news story (bear in mind it was the game that won them the league, not just some random game).


How many people is that? 10? 20? 500?

Then you got story about 2? Czech/Sparta footballers. During the same match Zbrojovka fans shouted Pražský kurvy, Pražský kurvy! Prague cunts, Prague cunts! oh wait it was during hockey match between Prague and Brno. How do we explain this, you know.

Attacking women .. your thesis seems to be: men need their own spaces. Alright, it could be so. Men attacking women are either idiots or criminals or both. Attacking women is not, and probably never was, society wide phenomenon. From where I sit, you are cooking out of water. Misogyny in video-games .. idiots are everywhere, and they tend to be loud. For me end of story.
tuco
 
Posts: 13776

Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#55  Postby pelfdaddy » Oct 07, 2016 4:46 pm

Fallible (and others...)

I agree that proving my assertion is entirely my problem. I just have to hope that the inability to do so quickly and in brief, with no delays due to other commitments, will not be pounced upon as owing to "maybe you got nuthin' ". What would you call that? Argument from Hurry-up-and-Post?
pelfdaddy
 
Posts: 955
Age: 51
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#56  Postby Doubtdispelled » Oct 07, 2016 4:48 pm

pelfdaddy wrote:Fallible (and others...)

I agree that proving my assertion is entirely my problem. I just have to hope that the inability to do so quickly and in brief, with no delays due to other commitments, will not be pounced upon as owing to "maybe you got nuthin' ". What would you call that? Argument from Hurry-up-and-Post?


It had a wink attached, PD. It was an attempt at levity.

:angel:
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled
 
Posts: 11744

Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#57  Postby laklak » Oct 07, 2016 5:16 pm

tuco wrote:
I dunno .. idiocy? Idiots are everywhere.


:thumbup:

And more of them then ever before, if my observations are accurate. We're swimming in a sea of idiocy, hammered repeatedly by veritable tsunamis of idiots. Idiots to the left of us, idiots to the right of us, idiots in front of us blithered and blundered.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 16476
Age: 63
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#58  Postby Doubtdispelled » Oct 07, 2016 5:36 pm

laklak wrote:
tuco wrote:
I dunno .. idiocy? Idiots are everywhere.


:thumbup:

And more of them then ever before, if my observations are accurate. We're swimming in a sea of idiocy, hammered repeatedly by veritable tsunamis of idiots. Idiots to the left of us, idiots to the right of us, idiots in front of us blithered and blundered.


Onward rode the 600?
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled
 
Posts: 11744

Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#59  Postby laklak » Oct 07, 2016 5:38 pm

Into the Valley of Trump rode The 60,000,000.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 16476
Age: 63
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#60  Postby Doubtdispelled » Oct 07, 2016 5:40 pm

laklak wrote:Into the Valley of Trump rode The 60,000,000.

:lol:

Tennyson is turning in his grave at their folly.....
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled
 
Posts: 11744

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest