Why are some men so threatened by women

entering male-dominated fields?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#61  Postby pelfdaddy » Oct 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Men do not value physical power, speed, or fierce competitive drive in women. We value their softness, sweetness, grace, and beauty. When they enter arenas that call for the former (typically male traits), they become less interesting. There is nothing wrong with the sexes maintaining separate spheres in certain areas of life.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Doubtdispelled » Oct 07, 2016 5:58 pm

Oh dear. Oh deary me.

Is that a joke post? Please tell me it's a joke.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#63  Postby Evolving » Oct 07, 2016 6:19 pm

I would always use physical power, speed and fierce competitive drive to defend my cubs. Just as well I don't do that to interest men.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 07, 2016 6:24 pm

pelfdaddy wrote:Men do not value physical power, speed, or fierce competitive drive in women. We value their softness, sweetness, grace, and beauty. When they enter arenas that call for the former (typically male traits), they become less interesting. There is nothing wrong with the sexes maintaining separate spheres in certain areas of life.

I think it may be best at this juncture to advise you to stop speaking as if you speak for men generally. Because what you're describing resembles my preferences not at all. I want a woman who's fit, assertive, intelligent, independent, and willing to tell me when I need to shut the hell up. (Everybody needs to be told to shut the hell up sometimes.) I want my woman to challenge me on a regular basis. What I don't want is the sort of piece of furniture you're describing.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#65  Postby laklak » Oct 07, 2016 7:54 pm

I find sandwich making skills highly desirable.

I'll get me coat...
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#66  Postby scott1328 » Oct 07, 2016 8:07 pm

laklak wrote:I find sandwich making skills highly desirable.

I'll get me coat...

I am sure there is some girl who'll get that for you
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Sendraks » Oct 07, 2016 8:10 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
pelfdaddy wrote:Men do not value physical power, speed, or fierce competitive drive in women. We value their softness, sweetness, grace, and beauty. When they enter arenas that call for the former (typically male traits), they become less interesting. There is nothing wrong with the sexes maintaining separate spheres in certain areas of life.

I think it may be best at this juncture to advise you to stop speaking as if you speak for men generally. Because what you're describing resembles my preferences not at all. I want a woman who's fit, assertive, intelligent, independent, and willing to tell me when I need to shut the hell up. (Everybody needs to be told to shut the hell up sometimes.) I want my woman to challenge me on a regular basis. What I don't want is the sort of piece of furniture you're describing.

:this:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Doubtdispelled » Oct 07, 2016 8:14 pm

laklak wrote:I find sandwich making skills highly desirable.

I'll get me coat...

I've a feeling we might have been here before.

Many years ago, mind you.

I thought the world had moved on, but of course I might be wrong about that.

:roll:
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#69  Postby laklak » Oct 07, 2016 8:19 pm

It has moved on. Like in The Gunslinger.

Every day, and in every way, it's getting badder and badder.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Doubtdispelled » Oct 07, 2016 8:25 pm

laklak wrote:It has moved on. Like in The Gunslinger.

Every day, and in every way, it's getting badder and badder.

Don't you invoke Roland for something that you think is getting badder and badder, Lak.

That would be a mistake. He wouldn't like it.

It's getting better and better, and only the old and outdated misogynists are holding back further and further progress.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#71  Postby laklak » Oct 07, 2016 9:19 pm

It's true that it's not a good idea to piss off Roland. Or Idris.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Fallible » Oct 07, 2016 9:41 pm

Lol! Softness, sweetness, grace and beauty, eh? Oh, that's me all fucking day long. Yeah. My softness in particular is fucking awesome. Thanks, pelfdaddy, now I know exactly why I haven't ever been able to find a man. Oh hang on, I have.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Scarlett » Oct 07, 2016 9:51 pm

:rofl:
"The stupid bitch"

" ..the Scottish bitch.."

" Too much PC and stupid women."

"..Paula (who still thinks she is the forum pin-up)."

Prize for guessing who? :naughty2:
Scarlett

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Animavore » Oct 07, 2016 10:11 pm

"Softness, sweetness, grace, and beauty" :yuk:

Sorry. I prefer Irish women.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#75  Postby igorfrankensteen » Oct 07, 2016 10:34 pm

I have an imaginary visual simile to suggest for consideration, in order to recognize what I mean when I say this subject is one of several in modern life, which is much more complicated than most discussions of it allow for.

Imagine a pair of schizophrenic octopuses. Some of their appendages are fighting with the other, some are reassuring the other, some are pointing off in another direction entirely, and some are poking their own self in the eye.

That's what's happening with this kind of stuff. There are levels of consternation, kinds of prejudices, and more importantly, lots of being upset by SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY, without the person who is shouting about it all, even realizing that they are upset about.

Race issues are often similar.

Anyway. Some people who are upset about female footballers, for example, really don't care about female footballers in any way whatsoever. What they are actually reacting to, is the fact that someone BROUGHT UP female footballers, as something of a personal challenge to them in a deeply personal way. Essentially, some people feel insulted by the fact that they have been challenged to take a stand at all, and so take an aggressive stand which they really don't care about, simply to say "FUCK YOU!" to the person who brought the subject up at all.

Some others wouldn't have given a shit about female footballers at all, except that at work last year they became convinced that the woman next to them got an undeserved promotion, because of some form of "affirmative action" which they THINK was at play (whether it was or not). So their negative reaction to female footballers, isn't about that sport at all, it's more like a case of "I couldn't fight it out about Cindy at work, so I'm going to battle it out on THIS score, so that I have the feeling that I struck a blow for male equality in the workplace SOMEWHERE."

And of course there are the True Believers, who, as soon as they hear the word "female" in any kind of context where they are being compared in any way to males, will leap to demand that women are obviously equal, and therefore should be seen as superior, or some other nonsense, all without even listening to the details.

Meanwhile, we who only hear about the controversy on the local news, are presented with a version of the story of what's going on, which has been filtered through the ALWAYS over-simplified, and social-assumption-based filters of the commercial "press," so we are TOLD that these people think thus and such, when actually, nothing of the sort may be the case. So some of OUR OWN, second level, second hand reactions, will be based on a false foundation, and the truth becomes even more muddled.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby tuco » Oct 08, 2016 7:26 am

Anyone, except OP, actually read the comments which gave OP the idea that large number of people were angry? I will answer myself using my psychic power, with probability close to certainty .. nobody.

Now, first and second comment, out of 150, are:

1. Posted by Sonmi_451 on
25 Sept 2016 16:24

Please don't force women's football down our throats. Not interested.

2. Posted by SpecialK on
25 Sept 2016 16:25

I'm not the slightest bit interested in women's football.

My thesis:

Two fucking idiot, Me first!, trolls.

Then others, like in this thread, join and some are apparently under impression that they are debating issue/are being concerned with problem.

8. Posted by Barnaby Lindsey-Wilbur on
25 Sept 2016 16:32
Are you going to put this much effort into reporting on non-league matches? because that's about the standard of women's football

Typical of the BBC to waste public money on this rubbish

followed by couple more comments in similar fashion "debate" *coughs* naturally takes off.

Dont click it if you dont care ..
Misogynists!
Discrimination!
PhD in sociology: Honestly, even women aren't interested in women's football.
PhD in philosophy: The sports of the lumpen proletariat - women's football and darts.
Auditor: Wayne Rooney gets £300,000 a week for sitting on the bench ..
Backseat coach: Maybe it's because I'm a Southend fan so I'm used to bad quality football ..
Annoyed by SJW: Bbc coverage massively sexist towards men: they've been hijacked these last few years..
Lt. Data annoyed by SJW: Of the leading 18 articles on the BBC Sport front page, this is the only one about women's sport (another is the marriage of 2 Olympic champions) ..
Actual football fan: I really don't care what your agenda is - want to talk about the game today? It was very good. I thought Chelsea were under par but think City would have won whatever - a class apart!

Got the idea? All in all cool stories. Attacking women? Large number of people amounts to about 20, if deleted post are counted in.
Last edited by tuco on Oct 08, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#77  Postby Bernoulli » Oct 08, 2016 9:57 am

pelfdaddy wrote:Men do not value physical power, speed, or fierce competitive drive in women. We value their softness, sweetness, grace, and beauty. When they enter arenas that call for the former (typically male traits), they become less interesting.

Some men.
Bernoulli
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#78  Postby Evolving » Oct 08, 2016 11:27 am

Answering tuco: I had a look at the first page of those comments, and indeed the ones I read were not particularly egregious, which is presumably why they weren't deleted by the moderation.

What do we learn? "Some" men feel threatened by women entering male-dominated fields; "some" men can't imagine feeling threatened by a woman; "some" men like sweetness, charm and whatever else was listed; "some" prefer to be told to shut up. In all: not all men are the same, a finding that I can confirm from my own highly scientific observation.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#79  Postby tuco » Oct 08, 2016 11:52 am

You should(?) know me by now, Evolving. I am mostly ranting commenting without desire to engage in lengthy debates/need for reaction.

To answer OP question, best would be ask the men in question. Then again, how reliable their answer would be? Personally, I do not believe self-reported anecdotes much. *shrugs*
tuco

Print view this post

#80  Postby laklak » Oct 08, 2016 2:13 pm

We could just ignore them. That would be my advice.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities