Why are some men so threatened by women

entering male-dominated fields?

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Why are some men so threatened by women

#1  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 28, 2016 10:39 am

I just read this story about misogyny in video games. This is just two days after I read the comments on a story about women's football, with a large number of people angry that it's even being covered as a news story (bear in mind it was the game that won them the league, not just some random game). And obviously there are similar patterns everywhere from business to comedy. I guess my question is technically why the patriarchy exists, but I'm interested in the psychology of individual men who not only don't care enough about women's football or female comedians to just ignore them, but actually feel the need to attack them for existing. Is there some innate need for men to have male-only activities and environments?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Why are some men so threatened by women

#2  Postby Sendraks » Sep 28, 2016 10:45 am

I think its less a male trait and more a human trait, where insecure individuals have a need to feel superior. We see it with religions, with race, with socio-economic groups and with the sexes. Any erosion of the sense of superiority bestowed by association to certain groups, is something to be attacked by the insecure and small minded.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Sep 28, 2016 11:02 am

Because those men are insecure. They're accustomed to not having to share certain things like their chosen careers with women and when women start "invading" the same job markets they feel as though something is being taken away from them.

It would be true of some women too if there were careers in which women make up the majority of workers and are better paid than men - that sense of threat and vulnerability due to insecurity isn't gender-specific - but even in the classic example that is nursing, the men who have"invaded" that so-called women's career are better paid and more likely to be promoted.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Sep 28, 2016 11:02 am

Ask Trump fans, I don't get it at all.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 28, 2016 11:05 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Because those men are insecure. They're accustomed to not having to share certain things like their chosen careers with women and when women start "invading" the same job markets they feel as though something is being taken away from them.

It would be true of some women too if there were careers in which women make up the majority of workers and are better paid than men - that sense of threat and vulnerability due to insecurity isn't gender-specific - but even in the classic example that is nursing, the men who have"invaded" that so-called women's career are better paid and more likely to be promoted.

That doesn't really explain video games or sports where most people aren't actually getting paid. And it's not male footballers that are getting angry about the female teams (if anything, they've been very supportive), it's members of the general public. In the example I posted, it was people angry that their sports website had been "invaded" by news of women's sport. Presumably there were plenty of other (men's) sports stories on there that they weren't interested in (there was a report of a rugby league game that had less than half the attendance of the women's football) but nobody felt the need to complain about these uninteresting stories being covered. Similarly with comedy, a lot of the biggest proponents of more female comedians on TV are male comics, even though it would necessarily reduce opportunities for them.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Sendraks » Sep 28, 2016 11:10 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
That doesn't really explain video games or sports where most people aren't actually getting paid. And it's not male footballers that are getting angry about the female teams (if anything, they've been very supportive), it's members of the general public.

Expanding what I've said about superiroity, its also about a sense of identity. Insecure people see changes to their identity (gaming is a male thing) as a threat, especially if that identity confers a sense of exclustivity or there is some social mystique to it. At a the most basic level its "no girls in the boys treehouse" because the identity is about the treehouse being a place for boys.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 28, 2016 11:13 am

So that brings it back to my question. Is there an innate need for men (and women) to have activities or environments that are considered exclusively their own?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Sendraks » Sep 28, 2016 11:18 am

No. I don't think there is. I think this is a desire individuals construct for themselves and that's re-inforced, to a degree, by societal convention.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Doubtdispelled » Sep 28, 2016 11:19 am

You could have just stopped at 'by women', and the question would be just as valid. I've been asking this question for years.

N.B. For those with hair trigger fingers, the question does include the word 'some'

;)
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#10  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Sep 28, 2016 11:23 am

NOTALLMENNOTALLMENNOTALLMEN!!!!
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Doubtdispelled » Sep 28, 2016 11:26 am

:lol:
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#12  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 28, 2016 11:38 am

Oh, incidentally, this is kinda the topic of the latest series of South Park.

If anyone hasn't been watching, South Park has now switched to a serial format and has become one of the best things on TV.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 04, 2016 8:49 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:NOTALLMENNOTALLMENNOTALLMEN!!!!

Thank you. Just so you know, I am not all men. Though I would understand why one would wish to believe I were all men.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Oct 04, 2016 9:00 pm

I dearly wish all men were you.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 04, 2016 9:19 pm

Sparta Prague duo to train with women after saying they 'belong at the stove'

Two Sparta Prague players have been ordered to train with Sparta's women's team after telling a female assistant referee "women belong at the stove”.

Goalkeeper Tomas Koubek and midfielder Lukas Vacha apologised for insulting Lucie Ratajova, who was one of the officials during Sparta's 3-3 draw with Brno on Sunday.

Koubek, speaking after the match, said women "belong at the stove" and "should not officiate men's football."

Sparta's director general Adam Kotalik said: "The players will spend several days with the club's female side so that they can be made aware that women have plenty of worth outside the kitchen."

Story
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#16  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 05, 2016 2:13 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:I dearly wish all men were you.

Then I would be the most biologically successful, and launch a noble generation of Asperger babies. :dance:

ETA: Except that I'm no longer fertile. So.... extinction. As an environmentalist, I'm still in favor of this outcome.
Last edited by ScholasticSpastic on Oct 05, 2016 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby laklak » Oct 05, 2016 2:23 am

Dunno, never understood it. I should understand it, after all I'm an older white CIS male, and we're the smartest of all y'all.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#18  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 05, 2016 2:38 am

laklak wrote:Dunno, never understood it. I should understand it, after all I'm an older white CIS male, and we're the smartest of all y'all.

I think that, as an older white CIS male, you are obligated to explain things to us. :coffee:
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby laklak » Oct 05, 2016 2:41 am

I take that responsibility very seriously, youngling.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Scarlett » Oct 05, 2016 6:45 am

Ooooh, would that be the upper echelons of "mansplaining"?
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities