Women bodybuilders

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Women bodybuilders

#21  Postby Dudely » Jun 18, 2010 7:25 pm

The same exercises that improve muscle volume also improve skin elasticity.
This is what hydrogen atoms do given 15 billion years of evolution- Carl Sagan

Ignorance is slavery- Miles Davis
Dudely

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby wunksta » Jun 18, 2010 8:13 pm

TMB wrote:Clearly these images dont appeal to many viewers or are far from beauty, yet they are so different from more traditional images of female beauty.

The night is dark and full of terrors...
wunksta

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby pennypitstop » Jun 22, 2010 8:34 am

wunksta wrote:
TMB wrote:Clearly these images dont appeal to many viewers or are far from beauty, yet they are so different from more traditional images of female beauty.

I'm assuming their necks wouldn't be able to support their heads if you took those rings off?! :ask:
"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
pennypitstop

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Dudely » Jun 22, 2010 12:25 pm

Correct, but from muscle atrophy from lack of use, not stretching.

Dudely

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby tactik » Jun 25, 2010 4:34 am

Dudely wrote:Correct, but from muscle atrophy from lack of use, not stretching.

Incorrect, actually (or so I am led to believe). They are just fine without the rings.

I generally prefer gals clavicles to be non-deformed... :think:
tactik

Print view this post

#26  Postby Dudely » Jun 25, 2010 4:31 pm

tactik wrote:
Dudely wrote:Correct, but from muscle atrophy from lack of use, not stretching.

Incorrect, actually (or so I am led to believe). They are just fine without the rings.

I generally prefer gals clavicles to be non-deformed... :think:

Well it all depends. If you wear them for a very long time and take them off right away then, yes, they would have a hard time holding their head up. I wore a halo, which also keeps you from using your neck, and I had a hard time when it was taken off. I only wore it for 13 weeks, 4 days and 3 hours (I counted :P).

If you take them off gradually there would be little issue.

Dudely

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby epepke » Jun 25, 2010 5:14 pm

There is nothing, absolutely nothing whatsoever, that any woman can ever do that will not get people talking about how awful it is that "society" (meaning men) force them to do it.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Eryemil » Jul 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Personally I thought the pictures were pretty cool.
Eryemil

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby NineOneFour » Jul 03, 2010 4:19 pm

TMB wrote:This website depicts a selection of extreme women bodybuilders, with some very mixed messages. Regardless of what beauty is in the eye of beholders, what appears to be prevalent is the need for women to be regarded as 'stunning', 'sexy', 'beautiful'. Clearly these images dont appeal to many viewers or are far from beauty, yet they are so different from more traditional images of female beauty.

Given this, why should the photgraphers and models themselves seek to be defined as beautifual. Clearly they are strong, have large muscles, and show many traits that masculine, it appears that facial features are also more male like than female, yet they still wear makeup to appear to hang onto female things.

Why not dispense with the shreds of female tradition and just present themselves as people who build muscle, take various supplements, push lots of weights and dispense with any sexist stuff and instead of trying to define themselves as female body builders with a contradiction of male and female traits and just call themselves body builders?

http://www.photoeye.com/bookstore/citat ... N=10762158

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Julia » Jul 20, 2010 10:55 pm

I do find the bodybuilding type of body to be unattractive--for both sexes. I guess it can become an obsession, like anything else.

But, I recently started working-out with a physical trainer who used to do bodybuilding. When I went to her website and realized that, I almost canceled our first meeting because I found it so unappealing, but I decided to go ahead anyway. I'm really glad I did because she's a really good personal trainer and motivator and lots of fun to work with. She's also very pretty and feminine. She stopped the bodybuilding around 2003, I think, but still has lots more muscle than many female athletes. She's petite--5'2" and weighs around 135.

Here's her website: http://www.yazinc.com/index.html
Julia

Name: Julia
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Sylvie » Aug 23, 2010 6:26 am

I find male and female body builders to be disgusting. All I see is somebody who is anorexic, dehydrated, and physically stretched to their limit - all to look a certain way or win a competition. If there was an anorexics and bulimics competition, in which the frailest person won, I would feel the same way.
I feel really sorry for them - and for young people who look up to them.
"Oh I see your tactic, 'God is energy, energy exists, therefore I win!' We've had this all before, its about as intellectually sophisticated as a shitting your pants." - HughMcB
Sylvie

Female

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Dory » Sep 01, 2010 11:59 am

Personally it's my fantasy to sleep with a female bodybuilder.
Dory

Print view this post

#33  Postby Graham Pilois » Sep 01, 2010 12:29 pm

I think it's disgusting, women budybuilders. It's unfeminine and yuk.
Graham Pilois
Banned User

Print view this post

#34  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 01, 2010 12:39 pm

pennypitstop wrote:
wunksta wrote:

I'm assuming their necks wouldn't be able to support their heads if you took those rings off?! :ask:

Nah, that's a myth. Stephen Fry said so. It's also a myth that it stretches their neck. It's actually just an optical illusion, and their necks are no longer than is natural. Apparently when they're taken off, the muscles will be weak for a while from lack of use, but that's just a temporary thing.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Tbickle » Sep 01, 2010 1:01 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
pennypitstop wrote:
wunksta wrote:

Nah, that's a myth. Stephen Fry said so. It's also a myth that it stretches their neck. It's actually just an optical illusion, and their necks are no longer than is natural. Apparently when they're taken off, the muscles will be weak for a while from lack of use, but that's just a temporary thing.

Aside from the muscle effects, I believe that the neck is considered to be longer, but it's not by the neck itself being stretched. The pressure and weight of the rings pushes the person's collarbone down, almost deforming it. That doesn't mean that their spinal column length increases or that their neck is elongated, but there is definitely more physical effect than just an illusion.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities