Women bodybuilders

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Women bodybuilders

#1  Postby TMB » May 08, 2010 7:14 am

This website depicts a selection of extreme women bodybuilders, with some very mixed messages. Regardless of what beauty is in the eye of beholders, what appears to be prevalent is the need for women to be regarded as 'stunning', 'sexy', 'beautiful'. Clearly these images dont appeal to many viewers or are far from beauty, yet they are so different from more traditional images of female beauty.

Given this, why should the photgraphers and models themselves seek to be defined as beautifual. Clearly they are strong, have large muscles, and show many traits that masculine, it appears that facial features are also more male like than female, yet they still wear makeup to appear to hang onto female things.

Why not dispense with the shreds of female tradition and just present themselves as people who build muscle, take various supplements, push lots of weights and dispense with any sexist stuff and instead of trying to define themselves as female body builders with a contradiction of male and female traits and just call themselves body builders?

http://www.photoeye.com/bookstore/citat ... N=10762158
TMB

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Women bodybuilders

#2  Postby The_Metatron » May 08, 2010 8:24 am

Clearly, there's something for everyone. I find it revolting, in men and women. These people actually manage to end up looking like comic book characters.

But that's just one man's opinion, worthless to anyone but me.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Warren Dew » May 13, 2010 2:32 pm

TMB wrote:This website depicts a selection of extreme women bodybuilders, with some very mixed messages. Regardless of what beauty is in the eye of beholders, what appears to be prevalent is the need for women to be regarded as 'stunning', 'sexy', 'beautiful'. Clearly these images dont appeal to many viewers or are far from beauty, yet they are so different from more traditional images of female beauty.

I searched your linked page for the words "stunning", "sexy", and "beautiful", and none of them appeared on the page. Rather, the descriptions says these women are going for something rather different:

"These women mirror our modern cultural hunger for size, aggression, and attention at any cost."

Clearly they are strong, have large muscles, and show many traits that masculine, it appears that facial features are also more male like than female, yet they still wear makeup to appear to hang onto female things.

I don't see anything wrong with that. To me, both male and female body builders' physiques typically look freakish, so I wouldn't describe either as "masculine". Given that body building contests are more closely related to beauty contests than to any traditionally masculine activity, maybe it's the male body builders that should be wearing makeup, not the females that should be shedding it.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby TMB » May 13, 2010 2:58 pm

Warren Dew wrote:
TMB wrote:This website depicts a selection of extreme women bodybuilders, with some very mixed messages. Regardless of what beauty is in the eye of beholders, what appears to be prevalent is the need for women to be regarded as 'stunning', 'sexy', 'beautiful'. Clearly these images dont appeal to many viewers or are far from beauty, yet they are so different from more traditional images of female beauty.

I searched your linked page for the words "stunning", "sexy", and "beautiful", and none of them appeared on the page. Rather, the descriptions says these women are going for something rather different:

"These women mirror our modern cultural hunger for size, aggression, and attention at any cost."

You would find these if you searched more widely. There have been a number of photo books on female body buildes over the past few decades that indicaye there is a determination to see female muscularity to be sexy, feminine and beautiful from those who participate.

Clearly they are strong, have large muscles, and show many traits that masculine, it appears that facial features are also more male like than female, yet they still wear makeup to appear to hang onto female things.

I don't see anything wrong with that. To me, both male and female body builders' physiques typically look freakish, so I wouldn't describe either as "masculine". Given that body building contests are more closely related to beauty contests than to any traditionally masculine activity, maybe it's the male body builders that should be wearing makeup, not the females that should be shedding it.

There is nothing moral about people wearing, or not wearing makeup, I simply find it a strange habit to hang onto when som many others have been discarded in the way thaty women re-define themselves in these environments. I dont see anything wrong with women who have male facial features, just as I dont find anything right with women who have typical female features. I just find it consistent. The difference with womens physiques is despite the extremeism for both sexes, womens breats al but dissappear hence they usually have implants, whereas with males the muslce mass integrates better (as you would expect). In both sexes the primary sexual changes can be significant. When body fat drops menstruation stops, use of steroids causes changes in genitals, yet through it all the males remain more functionaly males than the females remain functionaly females.

Body building contests are about two things, Narcissim and power. The efect of our looks upon our status in society, and in this sense they mirror beauty contests. Power seeking exists in all living endeavours. For bodybuilding, women feel powerful in more than one way. They seek to try and obtain the power that men seem to derive from muscles, while trying to retain the power that women wield from having the typical female form, breasts, hips etc. I just dont think it succeeds.
TMB

Print view this post

#5  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 13, 2010 4:28 pm

TMB wrote:Body building contests are about two things, Narcissim and power. The efect of our looks upon our status in society, and in this sense they mirror beauty contests.

Haha, I once said that body building contests are more like beauty pageants in a thread entitled "Is bodybuilding a sport?" on another site. A site that happened to have a lot of bodybuilders on. It didn't go down too well. :lol:
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby ElDiablo » May 18, 2010 3:14 am

Stunning images. The faces look so unreal.
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Gallstones » May 18, 2010 3:32 am

I enjoy weight training and have a proclivity for gaining muscle and strength rather easily. I am not built to be a runner nor do I have the mental affinity for running. I used to be pretty damn fast in a sprint though. Those days are over alas, but my days of weight training and building muscle are not. At the present time I am engaged in trying to regain what I lost when I stopped the weights a number of years ago and it takes some level of commitment to do that. I never however, sought to be a body builder or to bulk up to the extent they do. I am suspicious that a female body can gain that kind of muscle mass without "assistance". If you see a body builder when they are just hanging around they do not look like they do while posing. Posing is straining to make the muscles pop, that tends to give their faces a funny look.

They do look freakish and cartoonish.
Gallstones

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby pennypitstop » May 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Why the awful amounts of fake tan? Like Gallstones I do wonder how the female body can actually look that way without some form of drug.
"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
pennypitstop

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Delvo » May 21, 2010 4:18 pm

pennypitstop wrote:Why the awful amounts of fake tan?
Shading is a lot of how we determine what things' three-dimension shapes are. The more difference there is between the light spots and the dark spots, the easier the shape is to see, or the more it pops out and grabs your visual attention. (This is also why they say black clothing is "slimming"; it makes the shadows you cast on yourself less distinct.) So bodybuilders try to maximize the contrast to show off their contours/shapes. One way they do that is by putting shiny oil on their skin. (If you've seen Amistad, this is also what the slave-sellers were up to with the grease on the day of the sale, and it's presumably part of why ancient Greek nude athletic competitors covered themselves in olive oil on competition day.) Similarly, people who are especially light or dark can get more contrast by trying to change in the opposite direction, but darkening up is generally easier for a light person than lightening up is for a dark person. And stage & studio lights are bright, which generally increases contrast for darker people and decreases it for lighter people, giving lighter people more to work against and compensate for.

pennypitstop wrote:Like Gallstones I do wonder how the female body can actually look that way without some form of drug.
They use drugs, beyond any doubt. There's really not even any effort to deny it that I've ever seen from the people who get really involved in bodybuilding. It got so obvious years ago (at least in men's competitions) that they split the sport in half, with two separate kinds of competition: those with drug testing and those without. Those men who compete in the latter don't even bother showing up at the former because they know they wouldn't be allowed to enter the competition. Those who compete in the former don't bother showing up at the latter because they know they'd place dead last. They just treat it as two completely disconnected kinds of sports, not to be compared to each other any more than football and volleyball are. I've seen videos from the drug-tested ones, and the difference is big. Most of the guys in those are less built up than the women in the link at the beginning of this thread, and the women in them hardly have any bulges at all (except for the kind that isn't muscle).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKy91A7yrxg
Delvo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby bdcarlitosway » May 21, 2010 4:43 pm

eeww
Life becomes much easier when you master the skill of farting silently
bdcarlitosway

Male

Guatemala (gt)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Varangian » May 21, 2010 7:50 pm

bdcarlitosway wrote:eeww

Yup. Grotesque, and that goes for both sexes. If you've read what steroids do to their bodies, you will pity those narcissistic freaks...

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#12  Postby bdcarlitosway » May 21, 2010 7:54 pm

Varangian wrote:

Yup. Grotesque, and that goes for both sexes. If you've read what steroids do to their bodies, you will pity those narcissistic freaks...

small testicles :lol:
Life becomes much easier when you master the skill of farting silently
bdcarlitosway

Male

Guatemala (gt)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Warren Dew » May 22, 2010 3:55 am

Delvo wrote:I've seen videos from the drug-tested ones, and the difference is big. Most of the guys in those are less built up than the women in the link at the beginning of this thread, and the women in them hardly have any bulges at all (except for the kind that isn't muscle).

It looks to me like the women in that video also do not emphasize reducing bodyfat to look "cut", which is less related to drug use. But yes, interesting contrast to the drug using bodybuilders of both sexes:

http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/when-bo ... fbeat-news
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby TMB » May 22, 2010 4:33 am

Warren Dew wrote:
Delvo wrote:I've seen videos from the drug-tested ones, and the difference is big. Most of the guys in those are less built up than the women in the link at the beginning of this thread, and the women in them hardly have any bulges at all (except for the kind that isn't muscle).

It looks to me like the women in that video also do not emphasize reducing bodyfat to look "cut", which is less related to drug use. But yes, interesting contrast to the drug using bodybuilders of both sexes:

http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/when-bo ... fbeat-news

The 'natural' body builders do some very extreme diet and exercise related stuff to get the cut look. ONe of these it avoiding any water immed. pre the comps which sometimes leads to cases of severe dehydration, all in the pursuit of the cut. One of my work colleagues is a national level womens champion, her body fat drops to around 2/3%, menstruation stops well before that. The video above indicates that this is a natural and healthy pastime when compared to thsoe who allow steroids. In reality, aside from overt abuse of steroids, much is not not natural. Fake tans, fake boobs for the women, all body hair gone, competition fitness is an unsustainable state of the body and many substances are used to promte water loss, etc. This is all in the pursuit of social status through body image, something i am not judging, but calling it natural is stretching it credulity.
TMB

Print view this post

#15  Postby Mantisdreamz » May 22, 2010 5:57 am

TMB wrote:
The 'natural' body builders do some very extreme diet and exercise related stuff to get the cut look. ONe of these it avoiding any water immed. pre the comps which sometimes leads to cases of severe dehydration, all in the pursuit of the cut. One of my work colleagues is a national level womens champion, her body fat drops to around 2/3%, menstruation stops well before that. The video above indicates that this is a natural and healthy pastime when compared to thsoe who allow steroids. In reality, aside from overt abuse of steroids, much is not not natural. Fake tans, fake boobs for the women, all body hair gone, competition fitness is an unsustainable state of the body and many substances are used to promte water loss, etc. This is all in the pursuit of social status through body image, something i am not judging, but calling it natural is stretching it credulity.

Ugh that is so unhealthy and as a result, disgusting.

These pictures don't look natural (because they are not) and really, any male or female who is this extreme in their body is almost like an opposite parallel to anorexia.
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Dudely » Jun 18, 2010 4:50 pm

TMB wrote:
Why not dispense with the shreds of female tradition and just present themselves as people who build muscle, take various supplements, push lots of weights and dispense with any sexist stuff and instead of trying to define themselves as female body builders with a contradiction of male and female traits and just call themselves body builders?

How we define gender is wholly constructed by our society and ourselves. Why, if a feminine or masculine trait is nothing more than an arbitrary definition, should these women stop doing things they want to do because you personally define a certain characteristic as masculine?

Further, there is no rule that says people have to be one or the other. Androgyny is probably the most whole and fascinating display of what it means to be human that I have ever witnessed.
This is what hydrogen atoms do given 15 billion years of evolution- Carl Sagan

Ignorance is slavery- Miles Davis
Dudely

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Ironclad » Jun 18, 2010 5:06 pm

bdcarlitosway wrote:
Varangian wrote:

small testicles :lol:

^^^ Not if I use HCG :coffee:

Please remember those women are in contest shape, it isn't a year round look. The condition and the heavy tanning are for the definition of the muscularity under the lights.
It's bloody hard work, give them a break.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#18  Postby kiki5711 » Jun 18, 2010 5:09 pm

it's not going to look to good when they get older though. the streched skin will sag.
kiki5711

Print view this post

#19  Postby Ironclad » Jun 18, 2010 5:29 pm

kiki5711 wrote:it's not going to look to good when they get older though. the streched skin will sag.

Never seen a wrinkly pensioner? :think:

The OPs picture link isn't exactly the greatest advert, I'll grant. Some of the heavy-weight division girls certainly are behemoths, some very good looking some not so, much like life eh. Tonya Knight is a favourite of mine, old school, google images if you care to.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#20  Postby kiki5711 » Jun 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Arnold the "terminator" is a good example of aged body builder. I'm not saying he looks bad for his age.
kiki5711

Print view this post

Next

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities