Woo.TV - Share Your Favorites!

Anthropology, Economics, History, Sociology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Woo.TV - Share Your Favorites!

#1  Postby E. Samedi » Jan 01, 2013 4:16 pm

The large number of TV shows that "investigate" supernatural phenomena such as ghosts and UFOs is simply astonishing. I've decided that there is no upper limit on human credulity. Still, they are fascinating in their own way and I've started to observe them like a naturalist in the jungle. Woo.TV is window into the cluttered attic of human psychology. Here are some of my favorites, I'd like to hear yours especially from non-anglophone countries.

* Aliens (ancient or otherwise). This is a gift that keeps on giving. The History channel has its Ancient Aliens show but this is merely the latest in a long and distinguished line that stretches back at least to Chariots of the Gods . Evidence? Carvings of people and things that look like astronauts and spacecraft. That's certainly definitive, no way that could be misinterpreted. Remember Daniken's crystal skull? That seems to have become the plot for the loathsome Indiana Jones 4 movie. Probably a step down.

Aliens apparently have crossover appeal. I once skimmed through a fundie book that claimed UFOs were actually demons. Why are systems of superstitious so often hostile to one another?

* The Bible. I have seen two genres on this topic that seem popular. The first is the search for historical or pseudo-scientific explanations for biblical myths; for example, the search for Noah's Ark, attempts to explain the parting of the red sea, and one I just saw a few days ago: the search for the location of the Garden of Eden. I hope they find it! The conflation of history and mythology is astounding and, frankly, so dumb.

The Jehovah strains of religion seem to aggressively assert their myths as facts in a way that, for example, Hindus do not. I'm sure this means something important but I don't know what it is.

The other rich vein of Bible-based woo is the Bible Code . This is all about hidden messages in the text of the Bible that foretell the future. It looks like a yet another form of divination to me but don't tell them that. Is there any natural phenomenon that has not been used as a source of divination? I like the bible code because it has that gnostic, conspiratorial, and obsessive quality that certain flavors of woo have.

* Secret Jesus. This is the great Holy Blood Holy Grail/DaVinci Code tale. From the flimsiest of threads comes a rich tapestry of conspiracy, religiosity, and outright nuttiness. I tried to follow the logic of HB/HG when I saw it on TV many years ago. The leap from point to point was based on the worst kind of this-sounds-like-this evidence. This kind of woo (like the bible code) is well portrayed in Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. This is Dark Woo, not your healing crystal and energy bracelet woo.

There is lots more of course. What are your favorites?
E. Samedi

Name: Edward Samedi

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Woo.TV - Share Your Favorites!

#2  Postby Sovereign » Jan 02, 2013 8:48 am

Tough question... I tend not to watch them as they hurt my head. I did like the Armageddon one on the History Channel. I'm curious about the bigfoot show that's out now.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jan 04, 2013 5:21 am

I don't enjoy watching those kinds of shows, I tend to get angry at the stupid that is often uttered at times. However I do enjoy watching people wreck house while they show how the shows are wrong. V00D00SIXXX on youtube does a good job and I enjoy watching his reviews of the shows (I don't know if he is still doing them but he has a few hidden away in his uploaded videos list.), this one is about a Bigfoot show...on that is being advertised on my tv recently with some of the dumbest stuff I have ever seen in my life.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b7tpLeKpYA[/youtube]
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Kazaman » Jan 04, 2013 5:25 am

:popcorn:
Kazaman

Name: Stephen
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 07, 2013 1:08 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:I don't enjoy watching those kinds of shows, I tend to get angry at the stupid that is often uttered at times. However I do enjoy watching people wreck house while they show how the shows are wrong. V00D00SIXXX on youtube does a good job and I enjoy watching his reviews of the shows (I don't know if he is still doing them but he has a few hidden away in his uploaded videos list.), this one is about a Bigfoot show...on that is being advertised on my tv recently with some of the dumbest stuff I have ever seen in my life.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b7tpLeKpYA[/youtube]

They've robbed the same format as the silly ghost shows in the UK.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby CookieJon » Jan 09, 2013 6:57 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxDEBOi0F3o[/youtube]
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 10, 2013 11:19 pm

CookieJon wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxDEBOi0F3o[/youtube]

/shudder

Power rangers meets the Crusades.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to Social Sciences & Humanities