Black Girl Festival: What my identity means to me

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Black Girl Festival: What my identity means to me

#61  Postby Spinozasgalt » Nov 04, 2017 12:08 am

SpeedOfSound wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:On topic, it's interesting that I do not belong to any clear group. I love my Russian blood but it's not defined into a culture like for black people. One could say that the black community maintaining these clear boundaries has resulted in the very racial issues we would do away with. But just as I say that out loud I become drenched in the racism that I posit, and it has nothing to do with the black community. If Russian programmers formed a community I doubt the five o'clock news would mention the that community every time one of us became victim or perpetrator.

I kinda got a whiff of the "racism is black people's fault / stop being divisive" in the OP's "Why is saying that being black is VERY fucking important repped and loved all the time? Does it not just encourage and facilitate in group/out group/racist culture?"

My secret inner wish is for all this shit to go away. Given that, I once agreed with the OP here. There is a fragment of truth in it. If we all woke up and forgot that there was ever a race problem all would be fluffy and pink bunnies would abound. I have a 'belief' that tv sitcoms and the news media are more responsible for building the cultural groups we have in the US than any actual heritage.

I actually disagree there. I don't even think that would work. If it's seeped into social, cultural, corporate and other systems, objects, and apparatuses, it won't disappear with our awareness of it. It'll just become harder to state what it is and what it's doing.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 04, 2017 7:06 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:I actually disagree there. I don't even think that would work. If it's seeped into social, cultural, corporate and other systems, objects, and apparatuses, it won't disappear with our awareness of it. It'll just become harder to state what it is and what it's doing.

It's evident that many societies of the kind we're talking about in the US also have a permanent underclass. It may be that its composition is shifting from generation to generation, but it's there nonetheless. In general the US only has a very rudimentary idea of a social safety net to constitute some kind of floor for deprivation, and a deep resistance to constructing a more-robust one such as these 'other societies' have to some degree or other. Many what we might call 'benighted' USians look down on that as "nanny state-ism". So not only is there ingrained racism, but lots of other problems, as well.

The US is also hell on wheels at getting the best and brightest it can lay its paws on into the world of corporate commerce or technology powerhouses or think-tanks funded by corporate and government grants, where they gladly go in great numbers, heedless of race or gender prejudice, if that's really where they want to be. One side effect is that some other people end up feeling there are barriers preventing them from becoming that successful that don't include lack of talent. To the extent that these 'other societies' latch onto the idea of nurturing the best and brightest, they are headed down a similar path. To the extent they just want pretty-looking booklets of achievement test scores, they're headed for Potemkin Village Land.

What's left to weep bitter tears over? Institutionalized racism. The US has lots of white males who know they're never going to be strolling the corridors of power, but choose to blame their dead-end lives on 'liberal programs' that couldn't help them even if they were included unless they restore the Detroit assembly lines to their former glory. "We're rednecks, we're rednecks, we don't know our ass from a hole in the ground..."

There's a town down the road from Ann Arbor (Michigan) called Ypsilanti, but when I lived in AA, we college kids used to call it "Ypsitucky" for reasons you can easily guess. In 2016, the good folks in Ypsilanti had their revenge on us college kids.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Lou Kleener
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#63  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 04, 2017 12:07 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:On topic, it's interesting that I do not belong to any clear group. I love my Russian blood but it's not defined into a culture like for black people. One could say that the black community maintaining these clear boundaries has resulted in the very racial issues we would do away with. But just as I say that out loud I become drenched in the racism that I posit, and it has nothing to do with the black community. If Russian programmers formed a community I doubt the five o'clock news would mention the that community every time one of us became victim or perpetrator.

I kinda got a whiff of the "racism is black people's fault / stop being divisive" in the OP's "Why is saying that being black is VERY fucking important repped and loved all the time? Does it not just encourage and facilitate in group/out group/racist culture?"

My secret inner wish is for all this shit to go away. Given that, I once agreed with the OP here. There is a fragment of truth in it. If we all woke up and forgot that there was ever a race problem all would be fluffy and pink bunnies would abound. I have a 'belief' that tv sitcoms and the news media are more responsible for building the cultural groups we have in the US than any actual heritage.

I actually disagree there. I don't even think that would work. If it's seeped into social, cultural, corporate and other systems, objects, and apparatuses, it won't disappear with our awareness of it. It'll just become harder to state what it is and what it's doing.

Yes. I might actually disagree with myself there as well.
"Daddy, why did god make YEC's?"
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 04, 2017 7:39 pm

Animavore wrote:Get help.

Maybe you mean help to achieve my objectives? Wishful thinking but the semantic overlay/irony should perhaps not be dismissed so quickly...
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#65  Postby surreptitious57 » Nov 05, 2017 7:53 am

Your insufficient levels of will power coupled with your scatological mind makes
it practically impossible for you to achieve any objectives which you might have
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#66  Postby BlackBart » Nov 05, 2017 9:14 am

surreptitious57 wrote:scatological mind

:eh: :what:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Fallible » Nov 05, 2017 9:34 am

Oh, willpower again. Wonderful.
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out of that sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Nov 05, 2017 10:28 am

surreptitious57 wrote:Your insufficient levels of will power coupled with your scatological mind makes
it practically impossible for you to achieve any objectives which you might have

What objectives have you accomplished recently?
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#69  Postby BlackBart » Nov 05, 2017 11:04 am

Fallible wrote:Oh, willpower again. Wonderful.

Yeah, what is this 'Will power' thing? Is it like like 'The Force'?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Blackadder » Nov 05, 2017 11:18 am

BlackBart wrote:
Fallible wrote:Oh, willpower again. Wonderful.

Yeah, what is this 'Will power' thing? Is it like like 'The Force'?

It’s more like the Farce. Or, if we are dealing with scatology, the Farts.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#71  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 05, 2017 11:19 am

Keep It Real wrote:
Animavore wrote:Get help.

Maybe you mean help to achieve my objectives? Wishful thinking but the semantic overlay/irony should perhaps not be dismissed so quickly...

What objectives? Working on your racism issue? I have some notes on my self that I can share here.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Yup trying to reduce/eliminate racism is defo one of them. Also getting rid of homophobia properly. There are others too but I think I'm already shooting for the stars with those two. Please share your notes SOS.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#73  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 06, 2017 12:05 pm

The year of Trump has set about some changes in my thinking that is along the lines of 'what do I imagine?'. I have some intelligent neighbors and friends who voted for this clown. Rather than pick on or judge them I started to look at what I imagined to be the case. An evaluation of all of the 'signals' I find in my own mind when an event occurs.

So as a part fo my addiction work I am driving into South Mpls once a week to pick up. I am very uncomfortable in this neighborhood. I'm overly concerned with race when I drive there and when I meet with people that are not the same ethnicity as my cracker suburban comfort zone. In searching my brain/signal/database for clues I find that I am prejudging and imagining many things that simply have no sound basis. They do have A basis just not a good one. That basis, those things I presume without evidence to the specific, are the ugly truth of my own racism.

The truth of the matter is that I do have a higher probability of getting shot in the head when I make this drive. Statistically speaking. So fear of picking up a stray bullet combines with white guilt and the overall very real sense that these people of color may well be judging me as much or moreso than I judge them. My hackles are up.

The reality is that I do not see more than a single person on the street when I drive there and statistically speaking the chances of getting a bullet are are appallingly close to zero. No one is hating me because it is not about me; no one is even thinking about me except me. There is an aspect of selfishness here that is like when we go out on the dance floor and think everyone is watching our bad moves instead of what they actually do: think about everyone watching them.

Much like my addiction, my racism is a form of brain damage. I have been pelted with information, mostly on TV, that has damaged my survival neurons, having me believe things that are very unlikely. I bring forth a different set of beliefs based on ethnicity. That shit is all in my head, not reality.

Next I find myself thinking about probability and cutting myself some slack, because I do hear bad stories on the news, and a little fear is good for us. Keeps us aware.

Then I figure out that this too is just more racism. Making excuses. Citing incidents to support my racist case. Clinging to it.

The point is, that we all need to self-reflect. We need to be as alert to our own brain-damaged-signals as we are to the possibility of getting mugged from the outside. When I do this myself I find things I am just not proud of. Fucking appalled in fact. I am such a dick!
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Nobody's perfect as you well know SOS; I don't think you're a dick and the fact you loath your racism is testament to that.

I have been pelted with information, mostly on TV, that has damaged my survival neurons, having me believe things that are very unlikely. I bring forth a different set of beliefs based on ethnicity. That shit is all in my head, not reality.

Yup - and every time we are exposed to ethnocentric segregation narratives it buffets our brains in that direction. People with spectacles were once persecuted in China IIRC and we now view such segregation narratives based on physiological features as absurd and wrong. Same goes for gender. For some reason the segregation narrative around ethnicity prevails and is approved of in the media. Hopefully people will wake the fuck up soon and stop propagating that toxic shit.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 10, 2017 6:17 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/US/charleston-church-shooter-dylann-roof-sentenced-death/story?id=44674575

Roof bought enough magazines to have 88 rounds, which had racist symbolism
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 11, 2017 5:37 pm

So tell me all you armchair psychologists: do you think Morgan Freeman needs help too?
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Matthew Shute » Nov 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Image

Here's the context of that quote, by the way, if you're interested. Freeman was feeling patronised (understandably, I think) by the idea of needing separate black history month for the syllabus in American schools. ("Black history is American history".)

"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Wow. Fucking awesome isn't he? What a top geeza. Thanks for posting Matthew.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#80  Postby VazScep » Nov 11, 2017 7:11 pm

There's a standard bunch of arguments against the well-intentioned idea of colour-blindness, notably (for me) the one that says that colourblind cops are blind to departmental racism. A quick google gives me too many links to find the one article I remember reading.

This stuff is beyond me, but my attention is drawn to Matthew's use of the word "patronised." I don't know how common that feeling is, but I know I suffer from it a lot, and it usually makes me hostile to the sort of activism that Freeman complains about.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology