Can you have friends of the opposite sex?

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Can you have friends of the opposite sex?

#81  Postby PCS » Jun 17, 2013 8:17 pm

The_Metatron wrote:The number of friends I have is less than the fingers of one hand. What a load of poo to suggest rejecting another person as such a friend based on their gender.

That's beside the point, I am not looking for experiences or opinions of people that are blatantly sexiest in that they do or don't want to, I was looking for experiences/opinions of people which find it hard or can't.

Again, everyone has friends of the opposite sex, that must be well obvious, I was looking at real and well defined friendships on their own merits and that would hold true no matter what and without turning romantic/sexual.
“Last words are for those fools who believe they have not yet said enough...” Last words of Karl Marx
PCS

Name: Patrick
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 18, 2013 8:37 am

PCS wrote: would say it is a cultural phenomenon as I sort of mentioned in the OP.

As James said: ...And there's the problem. I think men and women can be friends, but the rest of the world seem to be suspicious when they are seen alone together. It can be more hassle than its worth. It shouldn't be, but...

An anglo-saxon cultural phenomenon. A big sweaping brush stroke made by james. In certain cultures it is not even noticed.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#83  Postby truelgbt » Sep 23, 2018 8:45 am

Its possible but I think gender differences get in the way and become a distraction to true friendship. So generally, no.
truelgbt

Name: trev

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Fallible » Sep 23, 2018 8:49 am

Which gender differences get in the way?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 23, 2018 8:55 am

Ahoy! Sexist gender role stereotypes on the horizon!
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Evolving » Sep 23, 2018 1:40 pm

I'm speculating, but what I think truelgbt means is that, when a straight man and a straight woman make friends, the fact that they are of different genders (their "gender differences") can make it hard for them to remain at the level of non-physical friendship. I don't think that he (he?) is referring to stereotypes.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Evolving » Sep 23, 2018 1:45 pm

I dare say it happens a good deal. Pretty much all of my friends (ignoring my online friends) are of the same gender as me, so I have little experience of friendship (as opposed to acquaintance) across the gender divide; but I think that, if I'm getting to know a man and want to keep the thing on a purely non-physical level, there's always a certain wariness about what he wants of me, and there isn't that with another woman. Unless I happen to know that she's a lesbian, in which case, again, there may be a certain uncertainty.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby Evolving » Sep 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Initially there's a certain wariness, I should have said. It doesn't have to continue for ever.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#89  Postby laklak » Sep 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Friends with benefits is the way forward.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#90  Postby surreptitious57 » Sep 24, 2018 11:17 pm

truelgbt wrote:
Its possible but I think gender differences get in the way and become a distraction to true friendship. So generally no

Then that is an awful lot of very happy people having sex with each other simply because they happen to be friends

Undoubtedly it does happen but is it as general as you assume it to be ? Consider there are reasons why it does
not happen as often as you assume : the friendship is more important than sex / sexual attraction is not mutual
/ one or both of them already has a partner / they are not actually interested in sex with or without each other

Remember that lovers may come and go but friends are supposed to be for life. So if they do have sex they
might become lovers more than friends and the platonic relationship from that point on shall then be dead

Human beings are complex so you cannot simply assume the default position between opposite sex friends to
be one of mutual desire. Not least because assumptions can be fallacious particularly the evidence free ones
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#91  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 25, 2018 8:05 am

The idea of sex as an extension of friendship these days is nothing new. Ever since the sexual revolution of the 60's attitudes to sex have changed dramatically. It does not have to be the opposite sex either.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Hermit » Sep 25, 2018 8:31 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:The idea of sex as an extension of friendship these days is nothing new. Ever since the sexual revolution of the 60's attitudes to sex have changed dramatically. It does not have to be the opposite sex either.

Bismarck might have been a bit ahead of his time then. He said sex is taking friendship to its logical conclusion. I don't know his views regarding same-sex sex, though.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#93  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 25, 2018 8:39 am

Hermit wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:The idea of sex as an extension of friendship these days is nothing new. Ever since the sexual revolution of the 60's attitudes to sex have changed dramatically. It does not have to be the opposite sex either.

Bismarck might have been a bit ahead of his time then. He said sex is taking friendship to its logical conclusion. I don't know his views regarding same-sex sex, though.

I dont think he would have really thought about it.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Sociology