Causes of increase in rough sleeping in UK

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Causes of increase in rough sleeping in UK

#61  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 03, 2019 6:52 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Dude, if you're on the run from the law, with such conviction that you're actually sleeping rough, rule number 1 is you don't go around running your chops about it to random strangers.

Yes, I already know you have no idea how polling works. You'd admitted as much. Add it to the list.

Jesus fucking Christ dude you're really orbiting Neptune about this one. Wow.

Sure sure, tell me more about how easy it would be for cops to round up all the homeless criminals by just pretending to be pollsters! It's so easy, you've just got to tell them about it, they'll be chomping at the bit to try it out!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 03, 2019 6:56 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:WTF are you on about.

Clearly your comprehension of the English language could use some improvement - it's perhaps not as straight forward as good old simple homophone free Netherlandsish. I thumbed up the modnote before you did. You called this thread crap and rubbish. The threads I start which the mods deem to be inappropriate crappy rubbish are merged together into 1 thread, titled "Player Hating." I decided your uturn on wishing the thread in the bin does not surprise me because you strike me these days as being one who would happily bimble along in duplicity without thinking they've so much as a hair out of place. Comprehenday?

Forgot your meds or had a glass or two? I never thumbed anything. It is a load of crap.

On my meds and no booze yet today :thumbup:

Ah yes, same term "thumbs up" two minutely different meanings which you just can't let slide because...because! EACH THING IN ITS PLACE! SEPERATE! How very neatly illustrative given the Dutch's apparent little "problem" with homophones....or at least their problem according to their self appointed ratskep spokesperson, monsieur Dutchy.

Scot Dutchy wrote:Thanks Blip. :thumbup:
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 03, 2019 7:00 pm

You are trolling little boy.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#64  Postby zoon » Jan 03, 2019 8:50 pm

It still seems to me that Keep It Real would be moving from the frying pan to the fire, by sleeping rough in order to evade the law. I can follow if he's looking at a 20 year sentence and has a careful plan to keep assets and create a new identity, or if the fugitive can merge into a criminal subculture, but choosing to sleep rough with no benefits for the rest of your life in order to avoid a short-term jail sentence doesn't look cost-effective to me. For one thing, homeless people on average die 30 years younger than the rest of the population, according to a 2011 nhs report here. Prison cells may be safer and warmer than the streets, homeless people fairly regularly commit crimes for that reason, according to a BBC piece from about 2 years ago here (I think "one JSA" in the quote is a typo for "on Jobseeker's Allowance"):
A report from Homeless Link found that as well as 31% of homeless people one JSA having been sanctioned in comparison to just 3% of typical claimants, 62% of homeless people had turned to crime ‘to survive’, highlighting further the links between homelessness, poverty and crime. Furthermore, research has shown that homeless people will, in order to stay safe, commit a crime in order to get an indoor bed for the night in custody, with a survey of more than 400 rough sleepers reporting that a fifth have committed offences for this reason.

zoon

Print view this post

#65  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 03, 2019 8:57 pm

I assume you know zoon that I'm personally in the clear (pretty much exonerated actually - I replay the humiliation the judge and my legal aid barrister (very experienced in that court and friendly with all the staff there) dealt to my "victim" in my head sometimes, although I do regret my violent actions) and am merely naming me as an illustrative example? I did briefly and infrequently consider going on the run before the trial, and If I hadn't been told by my legal team that I was extremely unlikely to do time I'm sure I'd have thought on it much deeper and further still - therefore the OP.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#66  Postby zoon » Jan 03, 2019 10:35 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I assume you know zoon that I'm personally in the clear (pretty much exonerated actually - I replay the humiliation the judge and my legal aid barrister (very experienced in that court and friendly with all the staff there) dealt to my "victim" in my head sometimes, although I do regret my violent actions) and am merely naming me as an illustrative example? I did briefly and infrequently consider going on the run before the trial, and If I hadn't been told by my legal team that I was extremely unlikely to do time I'm sure I'd have thought on it much deeper and further still - therefore the OP.

Good to know the legal system cleared you :thumbup:

My posts were intended in the same spirit as yours: for someone in that hypothetical situation in the UK, facing a not very long jail sentence (I may be making a mistaken assumption there), I'm not clear that intentionally becoming homeless and avoiding claiming any benefits for a lifetime would be any improvement on going through with the jail sentence. Life would be likely to be harder and more uncomfortable rather than less? Linking again to the BBC report on homelessness and violence here, there's some discussion of the reasons why people become homeless, and avoiding a prison sentence isn't mentioned - I expect it happens occasionally, but it doesn't seem to be a significant cause of homelessness.
zoon

Print view this post

#67  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 03, 2019 11:37 pm

zoon wrote:
Good to know the legal system cleared you :thumbup:

Thanks bruv, I do have 83 hours of community service todo still, but I enjoy it for the most part actually, lonely as I am, and as the judge said: "we're going to help you Mr Jones" - there need be some "punishment" for violence come hell or high water, I agree.

zoon wrote:My posts were intended in the same spirit as yours: for someone in that hypothetical situation in the UK, facing a not very long jail sentence (I may be making a mistaken assumption there), I'm not clear that intentionally becoming homeless and avoiding claiming any benefits for a lifetime would be any improvement on going through with the jail sentence. Life would be likely to be harder and more uncomfortable rather than less? Linking again to the BBC report on homelessness and violence here, there's some discussion of the reasons why people become homeless, and avoiding a prison sentence isn't mentioned - I expect it happens occasionally, but it doesn't seem to be a significant cause of homelessness.

Interesting stuff, I might have a proper further go at this data you provide tomoz but I'm not up to it right now : )
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Sociology