Dealing with paedophiles in one's neighbourhood

yet another problem I'm afraid.

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Dealing with paedophiles in one's neighbourhood

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 09, 2017 3:14 pm

So this guy who lives in the block opposite - we share a communal garden. 2 different people have told me before he's a nonce; but I said to them "sorry; but that's insufficient evidence for me - you can't go calling people nonces without heavy evidence". Last night my neighbour was round mine and he told me that this alleged nonce (z) was giving him a lift somewhere and they drove past a school. He then told me that z pursed his lips and said "wow look at all this fine totty - why are they wearing mini-skirts if they don't want it" about the schoolgirls. I know z and thought he was ok - we had a good long chat just the other week - but, well, I went over to confront him about it this morning. Bad move? What would you do/have done?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Dealing with paedophiles in one's neighbourhood

#2  Postby Macdoc » Nov 09, 2017 4:01 pm

nothing....you can't censor thoughts and if he gets off on Little White Birds ( Anais Nin has a story about this ) and goes home and wanks off.....he's not out prowling.
and yeah - bad move big time..

If you said from a "makes me uncomfortable to hear you talk that way" stand yeah ..same way watching men kissing makes some uncomfortable..might be okay

.....coming from some white knight protecting the kiddies stand....not on IMNSHO.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby zulumoose » Nov 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Bad move. Now you have dropped your neighbour in it as well.

Lots of guys think it is fine to air all their personal perversions in front of other men, I have heard quite a few. Probably the only right thing to do is make them aware that it is actually uncomfortable for you, and that others do not generally share their desires. I think a lot of them do it because it every time they are not called out it normalises things for them, which reinforces and emboldens them, not something you want to feel responsible for.

The hardest line I could take without evidence of their wrongdoing, is to make them aware that you have been put in the uncomfortable position of having to weigh up whether to report them as a possible suspect should anything happen to those girls in the future. That will make them think twice at least about mouthing off.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sendraks » Nov 09, 2017 4:20 pm

Bad move, you acted on uncorroborated evidence. You've taken your neighbour's word that his reporting is factually accurate and not in any way biased.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

zulumoose wrote:Bad move. Now you have dropped your neighbour in it as well.

Yup he's absolutely furious with me. He's fucking massive too. :(

zulumoose wrote:I think a lot of them do it because it every time they are not called out it normalises things for them, which reinforces and emboldens them, not something you want to feel responsible for.

Innit - that was my thinking...I'd feel partly to blame if I'd said nothing and he went on and did something unspeakable.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#6  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 09, 2017 4:38 pm

Sendraks wrote:Bad move, you acted on uncorroborated evidence. You've taken your neighbour's word that his reporting is factually accurate and not in any way biased.

I was 98% certain he was telling the truth - and z roughly admitted it had gone down like that when we spoke this morning.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#7  Postby Sendraks » Nov 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I was 98% certain he was telling the truth -

Without evidence you were 98% certain of jack and shit.

Keep It Real wrote: and z roughly admitted it had gone down like that when we spoke this morning.

After which point you had some evidence on which to have a degree of certainty.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 09, 2017 4:47 pm

So I shouldn't have believed what my neighbour told me, but I should treat what z said as evidence? I don't get it.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#9  Postby zulumoose » Nov 09, 2017 4:52 pm

Your neighbour could have been exaggerating and trusting you to keep it to yourself.

Your neighbour could have been the paedophile, testing your reaction out with a story.

Your neighbour could have been absolutely genuine, but trusting you to be discrete as he felt he had been trusted, and now he has been exposed as much as the other guy.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Sendraks » Nov 09, 2017 5:02 pm

Keep It Real wrote:So I shouldn't have believed what my neighbour told me, but I should treat what z said as evidence? I don't get it.

I'm guessing the word "corroborate" is lost on you.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby TopCat » Nov 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Fuck. I just wasted another couple of minutes of my life reading this pathetic clickbait.

My bad.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 10, 2017 12:00 am

What the fuck are you talking about bottomcat?
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#13  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 10, 2017 9:12 am

Sendraks wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:So I shouldn't have believed what my neighbour told me, but I should treat what z said as evidence? I don't get it.

I'm guessing the word "corroborate" is lost on you.

2 different people have told me before he's a nonce

:dunno:
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#14  Postby Sendraks » Nov 10, 2017 9:15 am

And you're finally able to corroborate their opinions with Z's own words.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby zulumoose » Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am

I thought nonce meant gay, as in a short form of "nancy boy" an old somewhat derogatory term for gay.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 10, 2017 9:43 am

zulumoose wrote:I thought nonce meant gay, as in a short form of "nancy boy" an old somewhat derogatory term for gay.

No, that's 'ponce'. You can look up what 'nonce' denotes. 'Nancy boy'? I'm betting the term exists, but so what?

TopCat wrote:Fuck. I just wasted another couple of minutes of my life reading this pathetic clickbait.

My bad.

TopCat wrote:Clickbait.

A regular bloodhound for clickbait you are, TC. Not that you're in any way incorrect.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#17  Postby zulumoose » Nov 10, 2017 9:58 am

nonce - Wiktionary
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nonce
Noun. nonce (plural nonces) (Britain, slang, pejorative) A sex offender, especially one who is guilty of sexual offences against children. That bloke who lives at number 53 is a nonce!

Wow, even Wiki knows where he lives!
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 10, 2017 10:51 am

zulumoose wrote:
nonce - Wiktionary
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nonce
Noun. nonce (plural nonces) (Britain, slang, pejorative) A sex offender, especially one who is guilty of sexual offences against children. That bloke who lives at number 53 is a nonce!

Wow, even Wiki knows where he lives!

That's where he lives... for the nonce (for the present). It's a fairly old construction, but not yet archaic.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
A regular bloodhound for clickbait you are, TC. Not that you're in any way incorrect.

Is it really so unlikely that I actually wanted to talk about this? Here you go top cat :tinfoil: and here're some more for cito and everybody else who liked the clickbait diagnosed post :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#20  Postby SpeedOfSound » Nov 10, 2017 5:48 pm

oh for fucks sake
so many levels of wrong
does this planet have an eject button
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post