Debtors Prison

Can't pay the fine, get arrested...

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Debtors Prison

#1  Postby kennyc » Dec 29, 2014 2:33 pm

Return of the debtors’ prison? Many still jailed for inability to pay fines
Cities across the country are increasingly turning to what are known as private probation companies to collect unpaid fines. But are indigent people ending up in jail because they can't afford to pay? Since NewsHour Weekend's first story on this issue aired last spring, the Childersburg Municipal Court issued a “standing order” stating that “In no case shall an indigent defendant be incarcerated … based solely on his or her inability to pay fines.” But the practice continues elsewhere in the country. Special correspondent John Carlos Frey takes an in-depth look at what some are calling the return of the debtors' prison.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/return-debtors-prison/
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Debtors Prison

#2  Postby laklak » Dec 29, 2014 3:09 pm

We've always had it where criminal fines are concerned, it's just that the collection process is being privatized. If you don't pay a traffic fine they'll eventually pick you up and slap you in county. Doesn't generally hold for civil procedures, except for child support and alimony. You can be jailed for contempt of court in those cases, and I think there is specific legislation concerning child support non-payment in Florida.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby kennyc » Dec 29, 2014 3:48 pm

Well I was in court for a traffic issue with my daughter a few weeks ago and out of some 8 or 9 appearances several of them were for not paying various fines and the judge ordered them to either pay, partially pay, set up a payment plan or have a warrant issued. And some of them were pretty minor.....less than $100 ... I was actually kind of shocked both that they were unable (or unwilling) to pay the fines/judgments as well as the taxpayer expense being spent on the situations....Guess that's the price we pay for rule of law.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2014 3:57 pm

All minor traffic offences have been moved into the tax law here.

It saves a lot of money and time.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Sociology