Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#1  Postby Adco » Oct 14, 2014 9:29 am

I was pondering this the other day. What is the divorce rate for gay marriages compared to hetrosexual marriages?

It appears that hetro marriages are not all that strong with the high divorce rates in my country. I don't have exact stats but it looks as if it sits at about 50%. My source is this; half of the couple I know are divorced. I am one of them.

So, I was wondering, do gay marriages last longer and have a better chance of survival because of various factors that I am not aware of? I have not heard of or met a gay couple that have divorced. I must admit that I don't know many gay couples so that might be the reason I haven't heard about it.
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
User avatar
Adco
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 1307
Age: 60
Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#2  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 14, 2014 10:12 am

Adco wrote:I was pondering this the other day. What is the divorce rate for gay marriages compared to hetrosexual marriages?

It appears that hetro marriages are not all that strong with the high divorce rates in my country. I don't have exact stats but it looks as if it sits at about 50%. My source is this; half of the couple I know are divorced. I am one of them.

So, I was wondering, do gay marriages last longer and have a better chance of survival because of various factors that I am not aware of? I have not heard of or met a gay couple that have divorced. I must admit that I don't know many gay couples so that might be the reason I haven't heard about it.


It is very difficult to get a real picture. We were one of the first to have gay marriages but seldom do people get married these days. Because a relationship can be based at the simplest end on a joint bank account it is very difficult to determine who is divorced or otherwise.

Plenty of kids are already in a (semi) permanent relationship even at school and often go through third level education together without the hint of any formal bonding. I am talking about all groups hetro and gay.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43118
Age: 71
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#3  Postby babel » Oct 14, 2014 10:31 am

I think you'll need a bit more time to have reliable data. In many societies gay marriages haven't been around long enough to be comparable to heterosexual divorce rates.
(gay couples getting married have disproportionately a lot more couples who've been together for eons and, when gay marriage is allowed, decide to get married. These couples have proven to suit each other well and are more likely to have a lasting marriage.
As soon as that effect dies out, the stats will be interesting.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
User avatar
babel
 
Posts: 4675
Age: 39
Male

Country: Belgium
Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 14, 2014 11:12 am

Of course there's no difference - gay and straight marriages are identical in every important way. That's why they're called the same thing. It does make sense. Honest ;)
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 9051
Age: 38

Print view this post

Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#5  Postby Animavore » Oct 14, 2014 11:15 am

It wouldn't surprise me, given how gay people have had to fight for marriage, to see that gays initially have a lower rate of divorce. As it becomes more normalised it'll probably average out.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 43694
Age: 41
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#6  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 14, 2014 11:16 am

Keep It Real wrote:Of course there's no difference - gay and straight marriages are identical in every important way. That's why they're called the same thing. It does make sense. Honest ;)


So then I assume you actually have a point to make? Or was that just a pathetic strawman to beat up?

As others have said I don't think homosexual marriage has been around long enough to get such statistics from it. I would like to see what statistics have currently been obtained mind.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
User avatar
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator
 
Posts: 10344
Age: 34
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#7  Postby Fallible » Oct 14, 2014 11:24 am

Not even all hetero marriages are identical in 'every important way'. :doh:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 50798
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#8  Postby scott1328 » Oct 14, 2014 1:10 pm

I have been assured from the most reliable of sources that as soon as gays are allowed to marry, that all straight marriages will end and ebola will wipe out the planet.That must have some affect on divorce rates.
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8661
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#9  Postby Shrunk » Oct 14, 2014 1:21 pm

This study is from 2011, which is an eternity ago in relative terms on this issue. Still, it provides some interesting findings:

 Over 140,000 same-sex couples, or 22% of all same-sex couples in the United States, have formalized their relationship under state law within the United States.

 Forty-seven percent of all same-sex couples who live in states that offer some form of legal relationship recognition status have entered into such a status at some point in time.

In the states with available data, dissolution rates for same-sex couples are slightly lower on average than divorce rates of different-sex couples. The percentage of those same sex couples who end their legal relationship ranges from 0% to 1.8% annually, or 1.1% on average, whereas 2% of married different-sex couples divorce annually.

 After taking into account dissolutions and divorces, about 134,000 same-sex couples, or 21% of all U.S. same-sex couples, are currently in a legally recognized relationship. In just those states that offer some form of legal recognition, 43% of couples are currently in a legally recognized relationship.

 Same-sex couples prefer marriage over civil unions or registered domestic partnerships, even when these statuses extend almost all of the rights and obligations of marriage under state law. An average of 30% of same-sex couples married in the first year that their state allowed them to marry, while only 18% entered into civil unions or broad domestic partnerships in the first year states offered these statuses. Furthermore, only 8% entered into limited domestic partnerships, reciprocal beneficiary relationships, or other limited statuses in the first year states offered those statuses, which extend a smaller subset of the rights and obligations of marriage.

 Nine states and the District of Columbia currently allow different-sex couples to enter into a non-marital form of legal recognition. In these states, different-sex couples clearly prefer marriage. For example, in three states where all adult different-sex unmarried couples can enter civil unions, just over 1% of these couples have elected to do so. Non-marital forms of legal recognition seem to be in highest demand among those different-sex couples where at least one member is age 62 or older.

 Same-sex couples can marry in six states and the District of Columbia. In the three states that track residency among same-sex couples who marry, those states report that 60% of same-sex couples marrying are from other states. The states that contribute the most out-of-state couples are those with large populations (such as Texas, New York, and Florida) and those in close proximity to the state allowing same-sex couples to marry.

 Women are more likely to marry or formalize their relationships by entering an alternative legal status than are men. In eight states that provided us data by gender, 62% of same-sex couples who sought legal recognition were female couples.

 Same-sex couples who marry or enter other legal recognition statuses tend to be younger than the general population of married different-sex couples in those states. However, when one compares same-sex and different-sex couples who are newly married, newly-married same-sex couples tend to be older than newly-married different-sex couples.

 If current trends hold, the marriage rate of same-sex couples in Massachusetts eventually will reach parity with the marriage rate of different-sex couples in Massachusetts by 2013.


My guess is that marriage remains less of an assumed decision for gays than for straights. That is, it is practically assumed as the default option that a straight person will get married, whereas that is less the case for gays. So those gays who do marry are going to be selected from those who are more committed to the idea of marriage.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
 
Posts: 26170
Age: 55
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#10  Postby Pulsar » Oct 14, 2014 1:57 pm

The stats for Belgium in the period 2003-2012, are:

10585 same-sex marriages (5669 between men, 4916 between women)
1226 divorces (517 between men, 709 between women)

babel wrote:gay couples getting married have disproportionately a lot more couples who've been together for eons and, when gay marriage is allowed, decide to get married. These couples have proven to suit each other well and are more likely to have a lasting marriage.

Indeed, after 10 years the divorce rate is still far lower than for heterosexual marriages. It is interesting though that apparently women divorce more than men.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Pulsar
 
Posts: 4618
Age: 42
Male

Country: Belgium
Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#11  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 14, 2014 2:29 pm

While not about marriages per se, the APA has this to say:
What is the nature of same-sex relationships?

Research indicates that many lesbians and gay men want and have committed relationships. For example, survey data indicate that between 40% and 60% of gay men and between 45% and 80% of lesbians are currently involved in a romantic relationship. Further, data from the 2000 U.S. Census indicate that of the 5.5 million couples who were living together but not married, about 1 in 9 (594,391) had partners of the same sex. Although the census data are almost certainly an underestimate of the actual number of cohabiting same-sex couples, they indicate that there are 301,026 male samesex households and 293,365 female same-sex households in the United States.

Stereotypes about lesbian, gay, and bisexual people have persisted, even though studies have found them to be misleading. For instance, one stereotype is that the relationships of lesbians and gay men are dysfunctional and unhappy. However, studies have found same-sex and heterosexual couples to be equivalent to each other on measures of relationship satisfaction and commitment.

A second stereotype is that the relationships of lesbians, gay men and bisexual people are unstable. However, despite social hostility toward same-sex relationships, research shows that many lesbians and gay men form durable relationships. For example, survey data indicate that between 18% and 28% of gay couples and between 8% and 21% of lesbian couples have lived together 10 or more years. It is also reasonable to suggest that the stability of same-sex couples might be enhanced if partners from same-sex couples enjoyed the same levels of support and recognition for their relationships as heterosexual couples do, i.e., legal rights and responsibilities associated with marriage.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 30807
Age: 30
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#12  Postby Shrunk » Oct 14, 2014 3:15 pm

Pulsar wrote:The stats for Belgium in the period 2003-2012, are:

10585 same-sex marriages (5669 between men, 4916 between women)
1226 divorces (517 between men, 709 between women)

babel wrote:gay couples getting married have disproportionately a lot more couples who've been together for eons and, when gay marriage is allowed, decide to get married. These couples have proven to suit each other well and are more likely to have a lasting marriage.


Yes, that's another likely form of self-selection that might artificially inflate the statistics on the stability of SSM. Still, there seems to be no evidence whatsoever to support opponents' claims that same sex couples are less stable. Not that that would be an argument against SSM even if it were true. I'm sure there are lots of other demographic groups who are statistically more likely to divorce, who no one suggests should therefore be deprived the right to marry.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
 
Posts: 26170
Age: 55
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#13  Postby epepke » Oct 14, 2014 3:19 pm

Shrunk wrote:My guess is that marriage remains less of an assumed decision for gays than for straights. That is, it is practically assumed as the default option that a straight person will get married, whereas that is less the case for gays. So those gays who do marry are going to be selected from those who are more committed to the idea of marriage.


Good reasoning, but I still think that we'll have to wait some time before knowing what the rates will be. On average, same-sex couples haven't had as much time being married as different-sex couples. However, also, as same-sex marriage becomes more mainstream, external pressure to be married as a default will also increase.
User avatar
epepke
 
Posts: 4080

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#14  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 14, 2014 3:21 pm

As I already said what is marriage?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43118
Age: 71
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#15  Postby colubridae » Oct 14, 2014 3:35 pm

Adco wrote:I was pondering this the other day. What is the divorce rate for gay marriages compared to hetrosexual marriages?

It appears that hetro marriages are not all that strong with the high divorce rates in my country. I don't have exact stats but it looks as if it sits at about 50%. My source is this; half of the couple I know are divorced. I am one of them.

So, I was wondering, do gay marriages last longer and have a better chance of survival because of various factors that I am not aware of? I have not heard of or met a gay couple that have divorced. I must admit that I don't know many gay couples so that might be the reason I haven't heard about it.


Even if there is a difference (viz homo- more than hetero- or homo- less than hetero-), so what? Makes no never mind. :cheers:
"You can fuck the fuck off, you fucking fucker" - L. Salander
User avatar
colubridae
 
Posts: 312
Age: 69

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Divorce rates - hetro vs gay

#16  Postby Adco » Oct 14, 2014 3:57 pm

colubridae wrote:
Adco wrote:I was pondering this the other day. What is the divorce rate for gay marriages compared to hetrosexual marriages?

It appears that hetro marriages are not all that strong with the high divorce rates in my country. I don't have exact stats but it looks as if it sits at about 50%. My source is this; half of the couple I know are divorced. I am one of them.

So, I was wondering, do gay marriages last longer and have a better chance of survival because of various factors that I am not aware of? I have not heard of or met a gay couple that have divorced. I must admit that I don't know many gay couples so that might be the reason I haven't heard about it.


Even if there is a difference (viz homo- more than hetero- or homo- less than hetero-), so what? Makes no never mind. :cheers:

You know, you are so right. I think I should stop thinking about things in the world. They don't mean anything and don't matter anyway. Don't be curious, don't try and discuss, don't ask questions.:thumbup:
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
User avatar
Adco
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 1307
Age: 60
Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post


Return to Sociology

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest