Do you ever give money to street beggars?

If so what about them provokes your gift?

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#41  Postby Macdoc » Dec 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Your cultural dollars at work :D
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 17156
Age: 73
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#42  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Hey, when I make obnoxious cultural noises I have the decency to do it at a venue. Not my fault these guys can't get booked :mrgreen:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14640
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#43  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 07, 2017 3:23 pm

TopCat wrote:
I don't pretend to understand him. However, I've seen no evidence that anyone else does either, and it's clear that nothing anyone has done here in responding to the shite he types has been of much practical help. My tentative conclusion from what I've read is that he doesn't want to fix his life enough to actually do something about it, and uses this forum for entertainment and a bit of social in the meantime. Therefore I get quite annoyed, mostly with myself for wasting my time reading them, with the constant drivelly threads.


Right. So with your first breath you say u don't understand me, and then you go on to claim MRI magnificent scanning of my brain. Weapons effect? Resignation syndrome? Player hating (ego supremacy competition (our number 1 problem actually imo))? Shite? pfff lol
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#44  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Hung out with a homeless veteran (army) who's got PTSD all day on sat and he asked me to stay at the homeless shelter with him to keep him company; because we got on a treat all day drinking and talking about drum and bass and a 100 other topics. At the shelter (first night it was open this year because of the cold) I told him I doubted I'd be able to sleep, so he offered me 1 (or 2) 300mg Quetiapin tablet(s). I nearly had two, but decided to just take one. Oh. My. God. Talk about strong. An hour after I took it I couldn't move or even speak. I think I nearly died actually. Thank fuck I didn't have two. I don't know how he can handle them. Talk about neurotransmission blockers.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#45  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 12, 2017 1:52 am

So just got back from town (had to walk my bike the last two miles 'cos I got a flat tyre) to meet that vet again up town. Found him about 7:30 in the centre eating free sandwiches and soup provided by an Open Doors worker (top volunteer resourceful empathetic soldier). She said to me "Hi Henry; want anything to eat? Here have a coissant." I devoured it and then she pushed a tuna mayonaise sandwich on me before she left, My vet m8 was drunk as a lord and...well...I went with him to the shelter but couldn't stay because I couldn't sleep. What struck me about tonight's encounter was the player hating/ego supremacy/inferiority competition. I said to the vet "you're just too hard m8; you're trying to be too hard...you need to soften up a bit." He couldn't acknowledge my productions even though I brought them into town and played them off my speaker. He said "yeah but they're not original productions - take me round your yard and I'll show you a thing or two about music." He's never put on a club night or written a note in his life. I said "OK; and I'll show you a thing or two about M16s." He offered me a quetiapine again to knock me out so I'd stay with him again at the shelter but I declined and chipped off. I'll go see them again tomoz. I pulled him up about his racism too - he said he was very anti-black said the n word half a dozen times at least - he brought up American History X...you know that scene where Edward kicks the back of his head while his teeth are on the curb? I explained to him that the message of that film is that racism is juvenile and wrong - as evinced by Edwards transformation...fuck knows how he missed that :nono:
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#46  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 12, 2017 2:00 am

I think maybe he just wants an enemy...so I said "I hate Tories and Republicans".
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#47  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 12, 2017 2:10 am

He's got multiple fractures in his right hand from all the people he's punched (HARD AS FUCK) recently. I could well be next I think...but I'll keep going back. 5 Weeks out of jail he is.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#48  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 12, 2017 5:01 am

I'm thinking of going to meet him in town tomorrow in nothing but shorts and a T-shirt to make a point...
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#49  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 12, 2017 5:42 am

hilarious lump. I'm gonna do it. Shorts and T to make a point...to try and help him...it's really not an ego supremacy thing...he's a lost/abandoned vet.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#50  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 12, 2017 2:40 pm

Holy fucking shit that was mental. 3 miles at 3am this morning in just a T and shorts. Got home circa 1 hour ago. I think I made my point. It's not big; it's not clever and it's not hard...get a fucking crib my G.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#51  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 1:02 am

SAM - you said I was bragging about this. I just thought it was worth talking about. Just 'cos you think it's impressive doesn't mean i'm bragging.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#52  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 1:17 am

I mean if I said I was the leader of the heaviest sound system in Bristol; have made over 60 tracks, got a 1st at uni without even trying that hard, had a catwalk model as my squeeze etc would that be bragging or KingIR? Interesting topic...not sure of the sub-forum for it tho...
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#53  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 1:34 am

Maybe Felltoearth's right and I should start my own forum....subforum's would include ego superiority/inferiority competition...that would be stickied...maybe that should be the only thread...can't be spread thin like too little butter over so much bread.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#54  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2017 1:49 am

Keep It Real wrote:SAM - you said I was bragging about this. I just thought it was worth talking about. Just 'cos you think it's impressive doesn't mean i'm bragging.

I don't think it's impressive, I think you think it's impressive. You seemed to be offended that I wasn't impressed, and proceeded to tear me down for having a family which would kinda prevent me from spending my time doing drugs with homeless people even if I wanted to.
Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Dec 15, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14640
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#55  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2017 1:52 am

Keep It Real wrote:I mean if I said I was the leader of the heaviest sound system in Bristol; have made over 60 tracks, got a 1st at uni without even trying that hard, had a catwalk model as my squeeze etc would that be bragging or KingIR?

Considering nobody asked? And it's proffered just to make you seem impressive? I'd call that bragging.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14640
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#56  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 1:54 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:SAM - you said I was bragging about this. I just thought it was worth talking about. Just 'cos you think it's impressive doesn't mean i'm bragging.

I don't think it's impressive, I think you think it's impressive. You seemed to be offended that I wasn't impressed, and proceeded to tear me down for having a family.


Why would you call it bragging if you didn't think it was impressive? I'm sorry I laid into you for having a wife and kids SAM; I just reacted (inordinately) to you implying I had no/a sad/pathetic/pitiful life.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#57  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 1:55 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:I mean if I said I was the leader of the heaviest sound system in Bristol; have made over 60 tracks, got a 1st at uni without even trying that hard, had a catwalk model as my squeeze etc would that be bragging or KingIR?

Considering nobody asked? And it's proffered just to make you seem impressive? I'd call that bragging.


I was just being academic SAM.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#58  Postby The_Piper » Dec 15, 2017 1:58 am

Bristol Connecticut? :shifty:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 28554
Age: 46
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#59  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2017 2:02 am

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:SAM - you said I was bragging about this. I just thought it was worth talking about. Just 'cos you think it's impressive doesn't mean i'm bragging.

I don't think it's impressive, I think you think it's impressive. You seemed to be offended that I wasn't impressed, and proceeded to tear me down for having a family.


Why would you call it bragging if you didn't think it was impressive?

Why do I have to think something is impressive to see that it's bragging? If a guy is going on and on proudly about how he ate 30 pies at a pie eating contest, does that mean I'm automatically impressed?

I'm sorry I laid into you for having a wife and kids SAM; I just reacted (inordinately) to you implying I had no/a sad/pathetic/pitiful life.

I don't think not having a wife/kids means a person has a crappy life. Plenty of people I know who do have a family who have a sad/pathetic/pitiful life. I was reacting to your implication that just because someone doesn't go do drugs with homeless people means they don't care about them, as if hanging out and doing drugs with them means that you do care.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14640
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#60  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2017 2:03 am

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:I mean if I said I was the leader of the heaviest sound system in Bristol; have made over 60 tracks, got a 1st at uni without even trying that hard, had a catwalk model as my squeeze etc would that be bragging or KingIR?

Considering nobody asked? And it's proffered just to make you seem impressive? I'd call that bragging.


I was just being academic SAM.

What do you mean? It was a rhetorical question and you know what I mean?

edit: Oh, you mean that the statements were untrue. I didn't assume they were true, I was just saying that it would be bragging for the reasons I stated.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14640
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest