Do you ever give money to street beggars?

If so what about them provokes your gift?

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#61  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 2:19 am

I shat my pants for around three months aged 11..and my dad drank fibrogel with me to try to cure it...I actually think it was Freud's anal retentive stage anyway. At school I bullied the fat kid. I screamed at my mum that she did't really love me; and she smashed plates on the floor. I predict you have no problem with those truths because they're not "bragging" (ego superiority/inferiority competition right here....so it's OK as long as it doesn't seem big/clever etc.)
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2017 2:26 am

You've never met people who brag about how shitty their life is in order to one-up other people?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#63  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2017 2:33 am

I mean, you're basically asking me whay the definition of bragging is. I have a hard time believing that you don't know.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 2:35 am

You've never met people who brag about how shitty their life is in order to one-up other people?

Well; I mean; what would you prefer; trivia/silence; or KIR? Why always impute an ego superiorising motive? I mean...yeah I agree it's a massive problem we need to try to get past....but maybe I'm just weird as fuck and everybody should just keep trying to beat eachother....looks pretty brutal from where I'm sitting tho.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#65  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 2:35 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:I mean, you're basically asking me whay the definition of bragging is. I have a hard time believing that you don't know.

I just don't know how you can diagnose bragging over honesty?

Well that's not strictly honest on second thoughts...a few blokes I've hung out with recently have absurdly exaggerated their sexual prowess (eg. "I could have any bird; trust me I've fucked 1,000,000 birds...they all find me completely irresistible... I used to earn 25k a day cashing dodgy cheques...I used to smoke 10k on crack over 2 days (I know that's bollox cos it stops working after circa 35 20 stones so....that undermines his word too))...so; well; but that's dishonesty....not bragging.
Last edited by Keep It Real on Dec 15, 2017 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#66  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 2:38 am

Just kidding man ; )

Keep It Real

Print view this post

#67  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2017 2:50 am

Keep It Real wrote:

Well; I mean; what would you prefer; trivia/silence; or KIR?

I'd prefer you to keep it real instead of whatever the hell it is you're actually doing.

Why always impute an ego superiorising motive?

I call bragging when I see bragging. You can make any sort of statement, positive or negative, without it being bragging. It's all about context. But I think you already know that, and are just trying to justify your behavior by pretending you don't.

I mean...yeah I agree it's a massive problem we need to try to get past....but maybe I'm just weird as fuck and everybody should just keep trying to beat eachother....looks pretty brutal from where I'm sitting tho.
[/quote][/quote]
I don't know what you mean here.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 2:51 am

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:I mean, you're basically asking me whay the definition of bragging is. I have a hard time believing that you don't know.

Well that's not strictly honest on second thoughts...a few blokes I've hung out with recently have absurdly exaggerated their sexual prowess (eg. "I could have any bird; trust me I've fucked 1,000,000 birds...they all find me completely irresistible... I used to earn 25k a day cashing dodgy cheques...I used to smoke 10k on crack over 2 days (I know that's bollox cos it stops working after circa 35 20 stones so....that undermines his word too))...so; well; but that's dishonesty....not bragging.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#69  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 2:59 am

So do you think anybody should every voicelessly publicise anything they think is good that they've done (maybe to stroke their own ego or maybe because they just want to show there's some good in the world/set an example etc ad infinitum) or would that always be bragging in your book?
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#70  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2017 3:02 am

Keep It Real wrote:

Again, I'm not buying that you don't understand the difference between lying and bragging.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2017 3:05 am

Keep It Real wrote:So do you think anybody should every voicelessly publicise anything they think is good that they've done (maybe to stroke their own ego or maybe because they just want to show there's some good in the world/set an example etc ad infinitum) or would that always be bragging in your book?

See my last post.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 5:38 am

I shat my pants for around three months aged 11..and my dad drank fibrogel with me to try to cure it...I actually think it was Freud's anal retentive stage anyway. At school I bullied the fat kid. I screamed at my mum that she did't really love me; and she smashed plates on the floor. I predict you have no problem with those truths because they're not "bragging" (ego superiority/inferiority competition right here....so it's OK as long as it doesn't seem big/clever etc.)

So do you think I was bragging in this post or not SAM?
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#73  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2017 6:43 am

No, you were trying to make a point and failing utterly.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 10:24 am

Sorry to go OT (from the current conversation...oh dear it's turned into another 1 on ego superiority/inferiority competition again) but are you aware how thoroughly hilarious your username is to me? I've recently developed SEVERE lactose intolerance - can't even have cheddar in my tomato soup no more : ( Fuck knows how I'm gonna navigate the cream cheese on the smoked salmon and caviar blinis for Christmas day elevenses : )
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#75  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 15, 2017 11:04 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:No, you were trying to make a point and failing utterly.

Why/how? What's the difference? They're all true...
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:No, you were trying to make a point and failing utterly.

Why/how? What's the difference? They're all true...

I've already answered this. I'll not be responding to further posts that amount to asking me for the definition of bragging. Get a dictionary.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#77  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 15, 2017 2:39 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Sorry to go OT (from the current conversation...oh dear it's turned into another 1 on ego superiority/inferiority competition again) but are you aware how thoroughly hilarious your username is to me? I've recently developed SEVERE lactose intolerance - can't even have cheddar in my tomato soup no more : ( Fuck knows how I'm gonna navigate the cream cheese on the smoked salmon and caviar blinis for Christmas day elevenses : )

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you haven't developed an intolerance to beefhearts and magic bands...

SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#78  Postby tuco » Dec 15, 2017 5:19 pm

Not lately because I do not meet any, they concentrate in cities. The way I learned to think about giving money away to such people is following: let's say I give 100. If I would not know I ever had those 100 it would not bother me. So its about knowing I am going to have 100 less. I mean I am going to live my life the same way whether I have 100 more or not, the only difference is that it would bother me I'd have 100 less. So let's say I have 500 in a wallet, give 100 to homeless, and think I had 400 in a wallet to start with. Happy.
tuco

Print view this post

#79  Postby Macdoc » Dec 15, 2017 5:25 pm

I don't "give" a lot to charities etc tho I support the Guardian and Wiki .....but if I do give to panhandlers I like to give enough to make their day. Usually a hitch hiking couple as ...been there done that and people were generous to me.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#80  Postby tuco » Dec 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Lately, I got 300 from insurance and, by coincidence because how the fuck they got hold of my address, at the same time UNICEF sent me a letter with a donation option. So at the post office, I withdrew the money from insurance and sent it to UNICEF who claimed its worth two blankets. Do I feel good? Sure I do. Well worth investment. I've learned that every 20 seconds a child dies from a basic hygiene-related disease. You know, Christmas and shit, that's fucked up. And I have 5C in the bathroom in the morning. *Cries* not really. The usual passive-aggressive tuco.
tuco

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology