Do you ever give money to street beggars?

If so what about them provokes your gift?

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 01, 2017 7:37 pm

There are lots of them these days in my town centre. I rarely donate...but sometimes.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Do you ever give money to street beggars?

#2  Postby Animavore » Dec 01, 2017 8:17 pm

I used to, but I don't carry cash at all these days, so I feel bad when I walk by them. If they got themselves debit card PEDs I'd happily tap them a couple of Euros on contactless.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Well, you could always get some dolla out of the point and carry it around - then you wouldn't feel bad when you can't give innit Ani...
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 01, 2017 9:12 pm

I give to the one's who are reading a book personally more readily...
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 01, 2017 9:24 pm

I'm doing it tomorrow in town for the first time - with this message propped up beside me...and i'll be reading Freud. Image
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#6  Postby monkeyboy » Dec 02, 2017 12:01 am

I don't give money but I do give the odd one a brew now and then. A homeless guy used to come in the launderette I used to use when I was a student and start scratting around in the powder machine for dregs of powder to wash a few bits in. I used to give him a good scoop of mine and buy him a brew out of the machine. He freely admitted any cash he got went on drugs first, then wine and last food. If there had been anywhere to get him a sandwich or something nearby, I'd have got him one. I did donate him a decent sleeping bag once, ex army thing, waterproof that you could wear like a jacket, with arms and a zip across the knees so you could walk about in it, brought him to tears. I used to keep it in the car for emergencies in the winter but hadn't used it in years, figured he'd get far better use from it. He still had it couple of years later.
There's an old church in Leeds that caters for the homeless. We always do a couple of shoe boxes for Xmas for them to give out. We load them up with a hat, gloves, socks, toiletries, small 1st aid kit, sewing kit, baby wipes, chocs and sweets, tea bags, dried milk, sugar and a tin cup along with a hexi burner. We stuff packets of soup and instant porridge in. It's amazing how much stuff you can get in. Usually costs around £50 for a couple but hopefully it makes someone's Xmas a lot less shitty. They're nearly done, will be dropping them off next week or 2.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby monkeyboy » Dec 02, 2017 12:01 am

I don't give money but I do give the odd one a brew now and then. A homeless guy used to come in the launderette I used to use when I was a student and start scratting around in the powder machine for dregs of powder to wash a few bits in. I used to give him a good scoop of mine and buy him a brew out of the machine. He freely admitted any cash he got went on drugs first, then wine and last food. If there had been anywhere to get him a sandwich or something nearby, I'd have got him one. I did donate him a decent sleeping bag once, ex army thing, waterproof that you could wear like a jacket, with arms and a zip across the knees so you could walk about in it, brought him to tears. I used to keep it in the car for emergencies in the winter but hadn't used it in years, figured he'd get far better use from it. He still had it couple of years later.

There's an old church in Leeds that caters for the homeless. We always do a couple of shoe boxes for Xmas for them to give out. We load them up with a hat, gloves, socks, toiletries, small 1st aid kit, sewing kit, baby wipes, chocs and sweets, tea bags, dried milk, sugar and a tin cup along with a hexi burner. We stuff packets of soup and instant porridge in. It's amazing how much stuff you can get in. Usually costs around £50 for a couple but hopefully it makes someone's Xmas a lot less shitty. They're nearly done, will be dropping them off next week or 2.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 02, 2017 12:27 am

Spot on Monkeyboy...I couldn't even read it all right then but very fucking real I think. Bigupz.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#9  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Dec 02, 2017 1:13 am

I don't carry cash, but I have bought food for them some times.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby The_Piper » Dec 02, 2017 1:20 am

I used to here and there, but I can't afford anything too great now. Spare change is about it, and even that, sparingly. We don't have too many street beggars up here obviously (the cold), but I've seen some at parking lot entrances in Houlton(!) and Bangor. Boston has a lot of homeless people who "panhandle". Bangor has a lot of homeless people too, relatively, who camp in the woods. It's stupid cold there in the winter, but not nearly as bad as where I live.
I was hiking in a city forest in Massachusetts last spring where we saw tents but didn't approach them. A couple of days later there was a story on the news that a young woman had died there of a drug overdose. :(
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby jamest » Dec 02, 2017 1:33 am

There's something about this which makes me feel really uncomfortable, which is the notion that the 'average person' should feel good or bad every time that they encounter a beggar, since the average person is not responsible for this sort of society they find themselves in, nor are they in a position to resolve the 'beggar problem'. I mean, you might donate enough for a particular beggar to feel happy and comfortable for an evening or two, but in the grand scheme of things this is a fucking waste of your time as it won't solve the beggar problem.

Don't get me wrong, even though I'm not rich I've donated to several charities myself including one I've been donating to monthly for about a decade. However, I now view these charities as utterly short-sighted as what they do is focus entirely upon making some victims of events/circumstance feel better in the short-term.

The really big problem with this particular sort of charity is that it does fuck-all to prevent the need for such charity in the future. Yet millions of us have done so, regularly, as have I. To what ends?!?!

The cruel and harsh truth is that the good people who [in the short-term] provide money/food/goods for those who are suffering, do much to derail where our long-term focus should be and make life so much easier for those in power who [ultimately] deliver these beggars to our hearts.

The UK 'food bank' is a perfect example. Food donations for the poor. Nothing wrong with that in principle, but at least be aware that every time you fill a stranger's tummy, your government doesn't have to. In other words, your government is silently thankful for you facilitating their bollox because without your charity they'd have to negatively change their fucking so-called 'ideals'.

Any fucking government which has to be thankful for the 'charity' of its subjects in order to save its subjects, is imo a fucking failed
government before it even started.

The saying is that "charity begins at home". No thanks. In my home country at least I don't want to see anyone deserving of charity, nor anyone giving that charity, because for me that's the ultimate sign of a failed government.

If you really want to get these cunts out of power, for the sake of everyone's long-term benefit, then be cruel to the short-term poor. That's the harsh reality of the matter, I'm afraid, since long-term change has always required challenging the ultimate status-quo.

As long as the 'good-rich people' here subsidize the failings of the governments upon which we ALL as a supposed UNITY identify, we will continue to be charitable.

... The ironic bottom-line is that the charity/goodness of Joe-Public is that which perpetuates the need for charity and goodness in governments which have their own selfish focus. All of 'em.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 02, 2017 1:46 am

So much truth in your post jamest...and again I haven't read it all.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#13  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 02, 2017 1:50 am

Too heavy right now for me right now jamest and monkeyboy.....very drunk...and piper too.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#14  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 05, 2017 9:20 pm

Ha. Well - i sat there in town with my hat on the floor and some small change in it for 2 hours and got NOTHING - not a penny. I guess I just don't look vulnerable/needy :dunno:
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#15  Postby TopCat » Dec 05, 2017 10:32 pm

Keep It Real wrote:.....very drunk...

And you are the reason I never give money to street beggars.

Food sometimes, and every year a couple of hundred quid to either Crisis or Shelter.

But in the meantime, thanks for helping me not be a complete sucker.

ETA...

Keep It Real wrote:Ha. Well - i sat there in town with my hat on the floor and some small change in it for 2 hours and got NOTHING - not a penny. I guess I just don't look vulnerable/needy :dunno:

Good.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby jamest » Dec 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Some of us recognize that 'there but for the grace of God go I'. That you think you can simply come in here and condemn this man when you know nothing about his problems and desperation, in the mere light of your own petty experiences and expectations, proves to me that you should be shown the exit to this forum with a frozen badger protruding from your arsehole.

KIR obviously has problems, but having taken much time (Have you? I don't remember, if so) trying to get to understand him, I know that fundamentally he's a good person. Therefore, in recognition of this, I'm sending him a frozen badger in the post. Along with a recommendation of what to do with it.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 05, 2017 11:29 pm

What - insert it up topcat's arse? lol also badger rimes with gaver (five 0). Safe jamest...topcat's about right actually imo and I wasn't offended...like my m8 who's on the soc he's skint because he spends £10 a day on weed.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#18  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 06, 2017 12:10 am

One of the local panhandlers that frequented the entrance to a grocery store near my house in Belgium offered to watch my bike for me while I was shopping. He's known to the store's staff, I wasn't too worried. I didn't lock my bike, taking him up on his offer.

In payment, I got him a nice cold bottle of beer. I never had to lock my bike there if he was around. Good arrangement. His attention was better than any lock I wanted to carry.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 06, 2017 12:12 am

I once bought a flask of whiskey for a group of drifters settled on the sidewalk nearby the shop. It was some holiday or other and it was a rainy day. It seemed good to be able to take the edge off that for someone, at least for the evening.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 06, 2017 12:16 am

Ottawa has the best beggars on the planet.

"Hey Buddy, can you spare a dollar?"

If you refuse, you hear: "Ok, then. Have a nice day!" And, they meant it.

You'd buy a guy like that a sandwich. The Canadian Air Force major with our party assured us they are most certainly panhandling for drinking money or drugs. Their social services are pretty good.

You'd see the same beggars at the same places every day. Polite beggars who have assigned stations.

Well, if you're going to beg, I bet it works better to be nice.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Sociology