Do you think non-white ethnicities integrate well in UK?

I'm not racist but...

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Do you think non-white ethnicities integrate well in UK?

#21  Postby felltoearth » Feb 27, 2017 10:56 pm

"It seems to me that chinese people are shit at driving."

Discuss.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby VazScep » Feb 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Keep It Real wrote:How is that racist?
Jesus. How shit seems to you is your prejudices talking until you've gone out and taken some measurements. Prejudices that involve skin-colour are racial prejudices, or racism.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 27, 2017 10:58 pm

I've observed behavior. There is no prejudice.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#24  Postby felltoearth » Feb 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Combined with the implication that lack of integration is their fault, as demonstrated by the anecdote that follows.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby felltoearth » Feb 27, 2017 10:59 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I've observed behavior. There is no prejudice.

The pural of anecdote isn't evidence.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby VazScep » Feb 27, 2017 11:09 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I've observed behavior. There is no prejudice.
You've observed behaviour and generalised to a conjecture. You don't test that conjecture by asking random fucks like us on an internet forum what we think, or going "it seems like...".

And the parameters of your conjecture are where your prejudices lie. You saw some stuff, and got bottled, and then you nominated a category of humans who you think are the sort of people who do that stuff and bottle people. How did you decide on that category?
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby laklak » Feb 27, 2017 11:13 pm

felltoearth wrote:"It seems to me that chinese people are shit at driving."

Discuss.

I thought it was all Asians. Particularly the women.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby VazScep » Feb 27, 2017 11:16 pm

Chinese people are shit at digesting milk protein!
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby monkeyboy » Feb 27, 2017 11:24 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Seems to me Muslims, blacks, orientals, poles, Asians etc. tend to group together in the uk and do not integrate into white british society. I remember once going to a warehouse on the outskirts of gloucester with a mixed race girl I'd met in town. When we arrived I realised I was the only white person there out of a crowd of some 200. They were all black. Where were the white faces, or the faces of any other ethnicity other than black, or more to the point, why weren't these black faces distributed proportionally amongst the white majority? Incidentally, once the venue closed and I was leaving, somebody cracked me over the head with a bottle so I walked home covered in blood. Nice.

House I'm in the process of buying has a Ukrainian family one side, a mixed race couple the other (looks white European and black African, haven't met them properly yet) and a Madrasa about 8 doors up. It's a low crime area and the couple I'm buying off who have lived there over 30yrs are only moving two streets away into a bungalow because they're old, not because it's turned into some ethnic ghetto.
Go figure.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Thommo » Feb 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Do you think white British people integrate well into communities outside the UK? Or do they form ex-pat community networks and associate with their own kind? :ask:
Thommo

Print view this post

#31  Postby laklak » Feb 27, 2017 11:40 pm

There's a British Club in most every foreign place I've lived.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 27, 2017 11:43 pm

Thommo wrote:Do you think white British people integrate well into communities outside the UK? Or do they form ex-pat community networks and associate with their own kind? :ask:

I think we usually don't integrate well either, like in the "british" parts of sunny spain. We probably integrate better in the usa and australia, sharing race, language, religion and culture with the majority.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#33  Postby Thommo » Feb 27, 2017 11:54 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Thommo wrote:Do you think white British people integrate well into communities outside the UK? Or do they form ex-pat community networks and associate with their own kind? :ask:

I think we usually don't integrate well either, like in the "british" parts of sunny spain. We probably integrate better in the usa and australia, sharing race, language, religion and culture with the majority.

I don't know, this seems like a plausible suspicion and a less racially charged one.

Here's one possible avenue of enquiry into attitudes towards integration (and it's a hallmark of how things have changed in the last half century or so):-
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... 369571.pdf
White British (4%) were least likely to be in inter-ethnic relationships, followed by Bangladeshi (7%), Pakistani (9%) and Indian (12%) ethnic groups.

One might ask a question of whether this indicates that it's the white British who are integrating the least in British society. Although that's pretty racially charged too.

PS: Here's the documentary I referred to earlier, which explores different aspects of this issue.
Thommo

Print view this post

#34  Postby Weaver » Feb 28, 2017 12:10 am

Keep It Real wrote:

And right there, without bigotry or racism, is the answer.

People tend to cluster alongside others who share similar cultures - cultural norms, common languages, common religions.

Race is frequently used by the ignorant as a substitute marker for culture, but it is distinct from it.

Instead of leaping to assumptions that race was the driving factor behind your personal observations, you should have started by asking yourself what all the possible factors were, then eliminating those not operant for the situation and seeing what was the most generalized at play.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 28, 2017 12:18 am

And yet skin colour is important too eg:

felltoearth wrote:In the Canadian context, mind. Not sure how much different things are in England.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/0 ... u_fit.html
Crunching thousands of numbers from 41,666 people interviewed in nine languages, the just-published study found skin colour – not religion, not income – was the biggest barrier to immigrants feeling they belonged here. And the darker the skin, the greater the alienation.
"We were surprised that religion didn't have more effect," said lead author Jeffrey Reitz. "It came down to race, with Asian people reporting some and with young black males the most stigmatized. The data is consistent with that.
"We tend to believe racism is a minor problem in Canada, of little consequence. Someone looked at them funny. Or that many immigrants are doing well, so it must be their fault if they aren't. There is a reluctance to investigate the issue."
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Weaver » Feb 28, 2017 12:25 am

But it is not the primary factor - or you would find Brits happy with going to France, or Germany, or other predominantly white European nations with many common cultural values, yet separated by language. And given that language, particularly dialect and slang and other less formal elements of language, are highly culturally specific, it's no wonder that those speaking different languages have issues integrating into a society.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 28, 2017 12:35 am

There's no socio-economic incentive for a brit to move to france or germany.

All the black youths in the warehouse I spoke to spoke perfect english, with no accent. They were overwhelmingly born and raised in England. The warehouse incident isn't my only experience of English white/black segregation. There are several "black" pubs in bristol and gloucester I'm aware of too, frequented almost exclusively by black, english people. Black people like going there; other ethnicities don't. Most pubs are white pubs; where the opposite is true.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#38  Postby felltoearth » Feb 28, 2017 2:34 am

I'm actually trying to figure out the whole point of this thread. Why is racial integration important to you KIR?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby felltoearth » Feb 28, 2017 2:36 am

Keep It Real wrote:There's no socio-economic incentive for a brit to move to france or germany.

All the black youths in the warehouse I spoke to spoke perfect english, with no accent. They were overwhelmingly born and raised in England. The warehouse incident isn't my only experience of English white/black segregation. There are several "black" pubs in bristol and gloucester I'm aware of too, frequented almost exclusively by black, english people. Black people like going there; other ethnicities don't. Most pubs are white pubs; where the opposite is true.

And what does this have to do with the price of fish?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#40  Postby KeenIdiot » Feb 28, 2017 6:50 am

Weaver wrote:I have a rule.

Any time someone starts off their discussion by saying "I'm not a racist but ...", I start off by assuming that they're a racist. It isn't 100% foolproof - but it seems to be highly effective, and saves me a whole lot of time listening to racist bullshit from racists.

I make no claim that this rule applies to the OP himself - but, as others have noted, there is evident racism in the OP content.

I'm not racist, but I sure do like a fresh apple.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology